I Hate Swingers!

Tony Stephenson is off-line
01 October 2013 02:45
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

No... not the couples kind...I'm sure they are all very nice people!  I'm  talking about the driving kind!

You know, those drivers who drive their family car or hatchback as though they're in charge of  a large flatbed or artic truck when they turn left! 

I came across one the other day probably in his mid-late 20's and he nearly frightened the sh** out of my partner and myself! I was driving along at about 50-55mph approaching a car travelling in the opposite direction on an open country road of decent width when suddenly, only about 60-70 yards ahead without any warning or indicators whatsoever he suddenly swung almost 1/2 of his vehicle onto my side of the road into my path and then proceeded to turn left into a drive on the opposite side of the road!

Now the drive entrance into which he turned had a fully open 5 bar gate set back and was maybe 10-12 feet wide at the narrow point with an open curved tarmac'd entrance so there was nothing remotely tight about the entrance and his car was only a small Audi so WTF did he have to do that?

To be honest it was so close that I had begun to go onto the edge of the grass verge as I thought we were about to have a head-on and I only just missed his back-end as he cleared my side of the road...  Even my partner screamed out when she saw what was happening - I really felt like going back and smacking him in the mouth.

I've never understood drivers like that - fair do's...if the entrance is tight then you may have to swing the family car out to negotiate a tight left turn but not one like the one I've mentioned - I don't know whether it's because they've watched too many Fast and Furious or Transporter films and think it's cool to drive like that or they're simply just to**ers!

There are other things which drivers do that are pointless but that has to be up there at the top!

www.le-femme.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 October 2013 03:03
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I nearly went head-on into a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo the other day who pulled out wide from a junction opposite me. Every silly little thing like this justifies my purchase of my Roadhawk video camera as insurance companies are more often than not, likely to take the 50:50 route in the event of an accident.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
01 October 2013 03:07
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from RedChecker
I nearly went head-on into a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo the other day who pulled out wide from a junction opposite me. Every silly little thing like this justifies my purchase of my Roadhawk video camera as insurance companies are more often than not, likely to take the 50:50 route in the event of an accident.

That's a good point Steve... I reckon cameras in cars will be commonplace or even standard fittings in 10-20 years time!
www.le-femme.co.uk

CSD Images is off-line
01 October 2013 03:55
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

I have a tendency to take corners wide it's not being me an idiot but more a case of habit. I was HGV and also off-road trained and taking corners wide in a HGV tends to be mandatory when you have a trailer. It's hard to stop something that's so deeply ingrained/instinctive. Also for me it's about peripheral vision, if you go into a corner tight you don't always see what's coming towards you. This said, I never cross the central line and always to the road conditions and to be honest my driver training was, shall we say, less than orthodox.

The problem with many drivers today is that they don't develop a situational awareness of their environment let alone their cars handling characteristics or profile. I've seen drivers flinch at gaps a drunken elephant could stagger through and take corners slower than a stunned sloth.

Ranting about other drivers bad habits would probably rival the Britannica Encyclopaedia for content!

@Redchecker:

How's the Roadhawk and which one did you buy in the end?
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

01 October 2013 04:07
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I got the Roadhawk HD in the end and have fitted it with a 64GB Sandisk Ultra which is good for an entire week's driving before it loops around again (720P & 60FPS, 12Mbps).

The quality is astounding although number plate detail is only visible when at standstill (eg. in traffic) although the 1080P mode is noticeably sharper than 720P (but I feel 60FPS is better for seeing what's happened and as a drawback you have to stick to 720P to get that framerate). It's not quite wide-angle enough to capture whether or not people are indicating at roundabouts though (you could adjust its direction of view of course but that would mean your left-hand side isn't covered) but for recording what's going on directly in front of the car it's superb.

The microphone is a bit shoddy but I've bought a little external tie/lapel one (~£8 ) so I'll see how that gets on once I've got around to fixing it into the car.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

OldMaster is off-line
01 October 2013 05:46
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

If they want to turn their Porche/Maserati/Ferrari/Jag etc into the path of my Series 3, I think I know who will have the cheaper repairs!!

A poignant post as my daughter turned 17 yesterday and already has her provisional license! Lets hope that she is taught the right way with safety and consideration in mind. Actually she will probably be safer (to start with!) than the arrogant dicks who still feel they are above the law as they sweep past chatting away on their handsets or texting from their laps.

I believe as soon as you think you are "better" or more "capable" than other drivers you are a danger on the roads. As much as I am mostly in support of the changes in law to contain the enthusiasm of young drivers with very steep penalties/insurance, etc, I would like to see such stringent measures applied to those who should know better and the phone certainly comes to mind....6 points minimum, £1000 fine and confiscation of the handset/SIM card might dissuade those who are tempted to risk other's lives..but such is their arrogance...probably not!!

01 October 2013 11:13
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from OldMaster
If they want to turn their Porche/Maserati/Ferrari/Jag etc into the path of my Series 3, I think I know who will have the cheaper repairs!! 

In the case of the insurance companies agreeing a 50:50 case (without any evidence to prove otherwise) then it will be as much a blemish on your insurance record as much as his.  You'll still end up paying your excess and it may well bump up your premium for the following year.

w4pictures is off-line
01 October 2013 11:53
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from RedChecker
I got the Roadhawk HD in the end and have fitted it with a 64GB Sandisk Ultra which is good for an entire week's driving before it loops around again (720P & 60FPS, 12Mbps).

The quality is astounding although number plate detail is only visible when at standstill (eg. in traffic) although the 1080P mode is noticeably sharper than 720P (but I feel 60FPS is better for seeing what's happened and as a drawback you have to stick to 720P to get that framerate). It's not quite wide-angle enough to capture whether or not people are indicating at roundabouts though (you could adjust its direction of view of course but that would mean your left-hand side isn't covered) but for recording what's going on directly in front of the car it's superb.

The microphone is a bit shoddy but I've bought a little external tie/lapel one (~£8 ) so I'll see how that gets on once I've got around to fixing it into the car.

Are these Roadhawks easy to move to another car or are they plumbed in more or less permanently? I suppose the width of the lens is a trade off against definition.

01 October 2013 12:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from w4pictures
Are these Roadhawks easy to move to another car or are they plumbed in more or less permanently? I suppose the width of the lens is a trade off against definition.

If you use the default brackets, they themselves can be tricky to remove (they use 3M VHB bonding material), I bought a suction mount.  The camera itself is easily removed from the brackets (a bit like a sat nav).

As for the angle of view, it's probably about as wide as they could sensibly go anyway.  In an ideal system you'd have 4 cameras, one for the front, one for the rear and two front corner ones but that's just daft (although some people install an additional rear one).  It wouldn't surprise me if they become a fitted option in cars over the next few years.

CGW is off-line
01 October 2013 13:16
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from RedChecker
If you use the default brackets, they themselves can be tricky to remove (they use 3M VHB bonding material), I bought a suction mount.  The camera itself is easily removed from the brackets (a bit like a sat nav).

As for the angle of view, it's probably about as wide as they could sensibly go anyway.  In an ideal system you'd have 4 cameras, one for the front, one for the rear and two front corner ones but that's just daft (although some people install an additional rear one).  It wouldn't surprise me if they become a fitted option in cars over the next few years.

Interesting. I'm looking to get one soon, had I had one a couple of months ago it would have payed for itself - as it is I'm going to have to accept 50:50

What made you choose the roadhawk ?

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
___Naomi___ danixhale Marcrot Sammi_1985
ansonphotography Creativedge david1500 DavidN digitizer dorrian eltel gordon guitarman johnmphoto kai_kul Ladiesman mike0048 PhilStorm Rhadamanthus Thunder_Photos TonyNutley vipimages Willjamieson