New to this.. but keen to learn

Jonathan R. is off-line
26 September 2013 17:09
aorange
Photographer
aorange
Cheshire
Warrington

Hi all, been a member here a while and couldn't really call myself a photographer as I still have no idea what I am doing but I am learning =)

I am a keen car enthusiast (beach buggies to be specific) and have been collecting cool photos of girls and buggies (pinup style) for a number of years. Well since I run a website dedicated to the hobby, I recently thought that I might "have a go" at making my own little contribution to the world using one of my own cars and a friend of a friend who does modelling part time.

Well here are the results..

Unfortunately the car wasn't road-legal at the time so we had to improvise in my garage which is tiny.. I'd appreciate any constructive advice/criticism at this stage. I plan on getting out on location next and try a few other ideas, I definitely need to be able to get further away from the model so the car can be appreciated.

Robert Blandford is off-lineSilver Member
27 September 2013 02:30
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
New Zealand
Kirwee

Hi,

We all have to start some where and in the garage with the car you love is just as good a place as any. I can say from the two photos is that the lighting is very good, no really dark shadows and the colours are rich. Good start and just keep plugging away.

Rob

Pyretta Blaze is off-line
29 September 2013 18:51
PyrettaBlaze
Model
PyrettaBlaze
Swansea
Swansea

You seem to have an eye for photography for sure! I love the fact that you are not afraid to experiment with angles and ideas. I have noticed that one of the things your lacking are head shots. Head shots are pretty much a stable of every model and photographers portfolio as well as make up artists and hair stylists. I look forward to seeing what you add to your portfolio next.
I'm not an artist, I'm a work of art.

Jonathan R. is off-line
05 October 2013 04:35
aorange
Photographer
aorange
Cheshire
Warrington

Thanks for the comments, both here and via PM, I appreciate the feedback and I am looking forward to the next attempt. Just have to find a suitable location and a model, etc, etc. =)

Pyretta Blaze is off-line
05 October 2013 19:11
PyrettaBlaze
Model
PyrettaBlaze
Swansea
Swansea

Im sure you will find many a suitable model Just pop a casting up on here
I'm not an artist, I'm a work of art.

GrahamWhite is off-lineSilver Member
06 October 2013 13:55
grahamwhite
Photographer
grahamwhite
Warwickshire
Leamington Spa

Nice shots, but you asked for advice so here goes:

Just a rule I picked up some years ago; still holds true:

If you are shooting a model, the one point that must be in focus, is her eyes. Everything else can be out, but the eyes must be sharp. Of course, like any rule, there are exceptions when you mean to break it, but it's best to get used to it first.

Assuming that your camera allows: Focus on the eyes, half hold the shutter down and recompose your shot (holding the focus). It should take nanoseconds and you need to do it without thinking.

One other thing springs to mind; you'll be tempted to get a really wide angle lens, because of the limited space, but it will affect the look of the model (not usually in a good way). Be sure try the same shot portrait and landscape at anything below 50mm (35mm on a cropped sensor?), you'll be surprised how one of them looks way better than the other.

Good luck - enjoy - keep snapping
GW

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
06 October 2013 14:28
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

The top photo is under exposed/slightly soft and the bottom photo possibly the most unflattering photo of a model I've ever seen, the half cut trousers making her look the dumpiest model out there and the focus on the crouch slightly bizarre. Pin-up needs an air/touch of romantic glamour, this looks like your local garage mechanic has popped round to service your car! Bottom image more likely to make centre pages of Torque Wrench monthly than Pin up Weekly!

If you are tight for space you can still sort out the clutter, and push the car half out into the open to give yourself more room! The car looks like it would be a great prop but you really need to get the right look for the pin-up concept to work.

Dominic.

Etho Aprilis is off-line
10 October 2013 03:04
EthoAprilis
Model
This member has been reset to pending

Pennsylvania
Media

My critique is gonna be similar to Graham and Dominic.

You did do a good job, but the biggest thing i noticed was the 2nd photo.
The focus is completely off the model and the car in my opinion. If you aimed for this pic to represent the models legs and only that you would have been spot on. Her face is blurry and partially covered. Very good concept tho. I'd say it would have gone better if you had taken it from the other angle, with her head facing you.

Focusing on the eyes is a good suggestion to me. I always make sure the eyes look good and stand out in a picture, unless there is something else in the pic like lips, or collar bones etc...that are meant to be the spotlight. Like Graham said.

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura entity Exoticangel Little_lizard prettypolly
ad360photo antoinewynn BOBREEVES david1500 djb1 Dphphotography hfordtom johnxxxjohn mike0048 rembrandt Rhadamanthus steveh32 SteveSJS55 Willy_O