Reminder Secure

"Slut"

20 September 2013 14:39
johnlp
Photographer

If you admit that you haven't cleaned behind your cooker in five years, and a friend calls you a "slut", do you laugh, give him/her one of your looks, or hit said person with an arguably grubby frying pan?

DAVID SHARPLES. is off-line
20 September 2013 14:49
Dave@studio99
Photographer
Dave@studio99
Lancashire
DARWEN

Personally I would just laugh and think no more of it.

Chrissie Red is off-line
20 September 2013 14:51
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I would probably roll my eyes and wonder what cleaning behind the cooker has to do with being a "slut"?

Rich H is off-lineGold Member
20 September 2013 15:08
digitalmood
Photographer
digitalmood
South Yorkshire
Barnsley

slob perhaps - but not slut... perhaps your friend's vocabulary requires extending....
www.digitalmood.co.uk

20 September 2013 15:11
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I would probably roll my eyes and wonder what cleaning behind the cooker has to do with being a "slut"?

There in lays the problem.  It used to be used as a pretty inoffensive term to mean you don't keep your home/work place clean, and could be aimed at both men and women.  Often it was said by a person to describe themselves.  With the demise of that meaning, the use of the word today now seems horrendous.

No wonder Godfrey Bloom doesn't think he's said anything wrong, but others think that he is a disgrace.

20 September 2013 15:44
Tansy_Blue
Model

Quote from digitalmood
slob perhaps - but not slut... perhaps your friend's vocabulary requires extending....

Quote from Chrissie_Red

"Slut" used to refer to a slovenly person who didn't keep their home or person clean and tidy. I've only heard elderly people use it that way though. And also my mum for some reason.

...Good thing I found that out before posing for an art class which had a long discussion about whether or not someone they know is a slut, or the conversation would have shocked me a lot more.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

20 September 2013 17:05
JadedRed
Model

http://thesaurus.com/browse/slut

Click n loose woman

Look under J.

I have no defence your honour.

Neil Anderson is off-line
20 September 2013 17:10
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from johnlp
There in lays the problem.  It used to be used as a pretty inoffensive term to mean you don't keep your home/work place clean, and could be aimed at both men and women.  Often it was said by a person to describe themselves.  With the demise of that meaning, the use of the word today now seems horrendous.

No wonder Godfrey Bloom doesn't think he's said anything wrong, but others think that he is a disgrace.

It was never inoffensive - the more modern usage is merely an extension of how it was used previously.
The housewife who didn't keep her clean was regarded as breaking her marrige vows as much as if she flirted with other men.

He was sacked be cause he distracted attention from the leaders racist speech.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Redbridge_Photographic is off-line
20 September 2013 18:08
JSIPhotographic
Photographer

Essex

You're going down the "yid" road.....

a rocky trail since certain creeds realised they could make money from it!!!!

Steve Guy is off-line
20 September 2013 18:23
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Given the age of the person that made the statement, it is most likely he interprests the word, and most of his generation would, as meaning slovenly.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
roxs samanthajane4 Winterlilly
2webmedia 63jian DecimalDan djtphotography GlasgowPhotographer humphries jeffers keltica MIB muz Northimages Oneimage philippahh rankin22 rscott360 Snooper911 Steveh32 Steveharratt TheChrisS Thunder_Photos
Charlottealom
barlowstudios