Reminder Secure

Minister tells photographers to go away during wedding!

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Matthew G is off-line
20 September 2013 18:10
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I filmed a wedding last week and was told that I was not allowed to film any of the ceremony at all. Right from walking down the aisle to signing the register. No photographs either! Bit of a waste of money from the bride and grooms point of view. My camera did switch it's self on a few times by accident :-)

Chrissie Red is off-line
20 September 2013 18:29
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from MG
I filmed a wedding last week and was told that I was not allowed to film any of the ceremony at all. Right from walking down the aisle to signing the register. No photographs either! Bit of a waste of money from the bride and grooms point of view. My camera did switch it's self on a few times by accident :-)

Lucky you weren't caught or you might have had a stern telling off from the big man ;-)

Thankfully my wedding wont be a religious one and the venue etc all know I'm going to have a photographer at every table :-P parts will be like a photo session :-)

Will is off-line
21 September 2013 01:27
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

It is 'photographers' who have no respect for the sanctity of the ceremony that have caused the problems for the rest of us. Before the 'digital age' opened photography up this did not happen.
Where there's a Will, there's a way.

Paul Hodson is off-line
21 September 2013 05:14
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Photoimager
It is 'photographers' who have no respect for the sanctity of the ceremony that have caused the problems for the rest of us. Before the 'digital age' opened photography up this did not happen.

Well - I was at a wedding nearly 40 years ago where the vicar made the sign of the cross at the end of blessing the couple and the photographer shouted from the back of the church "Missed that Vic, can you do it again?" - and he did. I think it was film!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

w4pictures is off-line
21 September 2013 05:15
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from MG

I had this too a couple of weeks ago. Frustrating thought it is, its hard to blame a vicar for not wanting to introduce a distraction to the service and I imaging it will become more common. This particular vicar told me, with a glint of steel in her eye, that she had thrown a photographer out of the church for non-compliance.

I had a brief thought of clamping a camera and triggering it remotely but when do you get the time to do that in a wedding? So, on this accasion, I managed to wheel the happy couple back into the church for a few seconds to get a quick shot of the ring and kiss - not ideal but something for the album.

I don't think it matters whether inside or out, Chrissie. And its not only the celebrant who finds the distraction unwelcome. I've heard comments from bride, groom and guests dismayed at the behaviour of some photographers. Sometimes you get a videographer, an assistant and maybe a couple of photographers at a big wedding and the end result is like some sort of media scrum.

Kevin Wilson is off-line
21 September 2013 07:11
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Quote from Photoimager

Yes thats about right. I photographed weddings for almost 20years on arriving 30 minutes beforehand I always sought out the vicar/priest introduced myself ,outlined what I would like to do and asked what he/she was happy with, only once in 20years had a problem aand that was with a vicar who ageed everything then responded differently, plus he had a very red face had been at the wine earlier me thinks.
Everytime I return to clergy that I had worked with before was usually met with warm handshake and friendly greeting.
And yes back then an average wedding with a couple of bridesmaids would be adequently cover by three rolls of 36 film.

Dragon Graffix is off-line
22 September 2013 11:11
DragonGraffix
Photographer

Hampshire
Portsmouth

Maybe, when a couple meet a vicar (or any other clergy) before a wedding, he himself actually has a responsibility to inform the couple on any restrictions related to photographing the service. They carry out enough services to know if they have any issues.

Saying that, it is good practice for a photographer to meet with the clergy before a wedding anyway!
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." - Sophia Loren

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
22 September 2013 12:23
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

It's clear the cameras are intrusive, its the nature of the response that is way over the top, its way too authoritarian and disproportionate, "please guys can you hold off until the end" I'd have been tempted to stand in between the bride and groom and film from there "you said anywhere but here"

OldMaster is off-line
23 September 2013 15:14
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I am a bit bemused at the total lack of communication here. No professional photographer can just turn up at a wedding and expect to take pictures inside/outside the church without knowing the regulations. I also find it hard to understand how the couple had not established the rules?

There were many churches I worked in over 25+ years that would only allow one picture from the back of the church and usually without flash. Frankly with modern DSLR's working in virtually no light this is a lot less of a problem than it used to be, but you do need a tripod.

If things haven't changed, for C of E the standard was a "no flash" picture from the back and with flash, 3 or 4 pictures of the signing and that's your lot until they come back down the aisle when you can use flash and grab one as they go out the door as well.

Certainly none of the congregation were allowed to take pictures on anything which I know is hard for the mobile generation to understand who seem to have no issue recording live concerts, children's plays or anything they can stick it up in the air to!

Absolutely basic but as we know there are not so many "professional" wedding photographers out there as there used to be and the market gets now what it deserves!

Phil Black is off-lineSilver Member
24 September 2013 04:32
Dandelion
Photographer

Norfolk
Norwich

I have been photographing weddings for 20 years, not so much now of course as they get uncle Harry with his new camera to"take a few snaps"
before his battery runs out!

I once had a minister not allow me over the threshold because another photographer had made a fuss in church, so much for forgiveness!

But yes the answer is to sort it out before the wedding, most ministers now will let you photograph without flash.

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mghphoto photostevo Pictureimage Steveh32