Reminder Secure

Minister tells photographers to go away during wedding!

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
20 September 2013 06:09
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Sorry its a dead link but worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3840994815&feature=iv&src_vid=K3-03to7L2A&v=oReLN5nntKw

Andy is off-line
20 September 2013 07:16
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

I guess they did not ask beforehand ? the wedding couple and the photographers should have had that sorted long before this happened.
lets get shootin

Tony Stephenson is off-line
20 September 2013 08:21
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from photostore
I guess they did not ask beforehand ? the wedding couple and the photographers should have had that sorted long before this happened.

Absolutely!

Some vicars/ministers don't mind photographers recording the service at close quarters but others only allow photography from the back of the church etc, some won't allow any flash in a church ...the thing is that it should have been discussed and cleared with the person conducting the ceremony long before it ever got to that stage!

Surely they had a rehearsal of ceremony beforehand?

www.le-femme.co.uk

Frank Sinnott is off-line
20 September 2013 08:28
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

I agree entirely with the priest. The clatter of shutters going off is annoying to say the least. He is right it is a very solemn moment. I doubt the couple have had a chat with the priest and laid out the photography plans so they are at fault.
Not a religious person myself but it is good to see someone standing by their convictions.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
20 September 2013 09:01
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

The Groom looks shocked though, and it looks like the priest is talking to the guy firing away to the left but then realises there's another camera behind him so included him too! There's a camera down the end too so maybe the event was too saturated in the priests eyes! The noise of the shutter was annoying!

Chrissie Red is off-line
20 September 2013 09:08
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I have to admit I would be pretty Chrissie_Red is a naughty person ed off if the person conducting my wedding confronted a photographer in the middle of the ceremony.

I think its fair that churches etc have their own rules - be it no flash photography/ no photography or they have to stay in a certain place.

Surely a minister would be "used" to photography going on at a wedding ceremony? I'm not religious but I wouldn't have thought shooting an outdoor wedding would have been enough of an issue for him to stop the wedding and make a scene. Hopefully though that particular minister now makes a note to tell couples that photography is not allowed so the couples can go elsewhere.

Spike is off-line
20 September 2013 09:36
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

I learnt long ago always check with the minister.
Even found the same church had different rules on the same day depending on the minister presiding over the service.(In the days when you stopped shoooting after the faked cake shot at the reception & could shoot 3 weddings on a Saturday)

Was a guest at a wedding where the tog was snapping away throughout the service with the focus confirmation bleep on, much to the annoyance of everyone, I quietly suggested he should turn the bleep off & was told he wouldn't know if it was in focus without the bleep.

I heard from the bride & groom later that they hadn't been impressed with the finished result.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

20 September 2013 16:32
gedimage
Photographer

The photographer should talk to the ministers before to understand whats allowed

i had one vicar tell me hed give me a time limit afterwards each time i shot their i check and so never had a problem.

w4pictures is off-line
20 September 2013 17:21
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I have to admit I would be pretty w4pictures is a naughty person ed off if the person conducting my wedding confronted a photographer in the middle of the ceremony. I think its fair that churches etc have their own rules - be it no flash photography/ no photography or they have to stay in a certain place. Surely a minister would be "used" to photography going on at a wedding ceremony? I'm not religious but I wouldn't have thought shooting an outdoor wedding would have been enough of an issue for him to stop the wedding and make a scene. Hopefully though that particular minister now makes a note to tell couples that photography is not allowed so the couples can go elsewhere.

Why? its a religious service just like a communion. Would you expect a photographer to wander into a church on a Sunday morning and leap around like Tigger flashing and clacking? its an increasing problem for any celebrant dealing with photographers treating a wedding like a studio shoot.  They are there to get married, not to feed the photographer with photos. Horse/cart. If the vicar says "no photos during the service", that's that. Its not sour grapes, its born from the experience of the many, many turdwits who don't know how to behave.

Chrissie Red is off-line
20 September 2013 19:03
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from w4pictures
Why? its a religious service just like a communion. Would you expect a photographer to wander into a church on a Sunday morning and leap around like Tigger flashing and clacking? its an increasing problem for any celebrant dealing with photographers treating a wedding like a studio shoot.  They are there to get married, not to feed the photographer with photos. Horse/cart. If the vicar says "no photos during the service", that's that. Its not sour grapes, its born from the experience of the many, many turdwits who don't know how to behave.

He isn't in a church though, he is in a garden and there was no flashes that I could see.

Also I did have a read of the comments - the photographer apparently did ask where was ok to shoot/not shoot and the minister only said "please don't stand on the aisle"
The couple presumably made a sizeable "dontation" to the church in exchange for the ministers time, they also paid for the photographers to capture their day so for the minister to say the day was about GOD is quite amusing.  So really the minister was being employed (in the round about way people who apparently do things for the *good* are). 

Would it Chrissie_Red is a naughty person me off if I was the minister? possibly but I also understand that the photographer was HIRED by the couple to capture what should be the most special day of their lives, would I want to ruin the mood and threaten to stop the ceremony because a photographer was doing his job and taking pictures? - no.. If he was THAT against it then surely he could have told the photographer to "move" before the wedding actually started rather than creating a scene. 

What if the photographer was to say to the minister "can you get out the way you are ruining my shot?" - oh no wait that would be really bad because we are supposed to respect these "people" like they are on a different world to the rest of us. Aye it might have Chrissie_Red is a naughty person ed the minister off but the way he reacted was pretty distasteful and not very discrete.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs missminiskirt Vickiej
abouncer antoinewynn Chadite Cheshunt83 cliffc Don_Dark James7799 johntisbury jpdo Kjoservices mamamiya mghphoto MIB natkins NigelAdams Nunude Phiesta1 Photojames43 redwrenstudios Studio4 thelook Thunder_Photos viewphotographic whitepython