Reminder Secure

Well I never???

19 September 2013 20:52
Artist
Photographer

Didn't want to bother doing this but felt compelled as a very similar thing has happened in the past?

Had a guy contact me on this site a few months ago, apparently a budding/emerging (professional?) artist, who after having spotted an image taken by me, expressed an interest in painting his version of said image? Should I have been flattered? I think not as it now transpires.
To be fair he did ask if it would be ok to go ahead, to which I replied politely, sorry but the answer is no due to the whole process of me photographing models in the first place, being the forerunner in producing my own original drawings/paintings from the images I take....not forgetting the copious amounts of hard earned cash it takes in doing so!

Absolutely received no response from the guy so I took it as being the end of the situation....or was it?

Last night I happened to be browsing the work on his site and not surprisingly there it was, his 'painted' rendition of an image owned by me!
The word painted is within parenthesis as (yet again) rather than being a 'painting' it looked suspiciously like the picture had simply been run through some imaging software which after 5 minutes or so, produced his 'work of art'

Although it did say underneath that the 'painting' was not for sale, sadly I'm not blessed with the luxury of knowing whether or not it raised several thousands of antipodean pennies pre-post,  as the rest of his work commands.

I contacted the guy explaining that what he had done was/is a bit naughty to say the least, requesting it's immediate removal from the site. 
It seemed to do the trick as the following morning the image had mysteriously legged it from the page.
Perhaps I tweaked a nerve, or simply exposed him as the cheat or fraudster that he appears to be!

The crux is that however much you try to protect/treasure/value your work, there will always be someone lurking in the background who dismisses, or has total lack of regard for the work that we as individuals enjoy producing, not giving a stuff  what we think as they endeavour to make a crust by whatever means it takes!

Be careful

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 September 2013 01:44
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I had someone contact me regarding painting one or two of my images. His work deemed fairly average to me and didn't warrant a detailed photo but he insisted he needed the full-resolution image in order to do the painting justice, I declined simply because of this as any decent artist would surely be able to recreate an image from a web-sized one (I actually gave him a 1200x800 pixel image but this didn't satisfy) and my only conclusion was that it could have been used for something else (and for monetary gain).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

05 November 2014 14:59
Artist
Photographer

Here's a reprise/update of this original forum post.

The same guy has contacted me again today, this time offering me some kind of monetary compensation if I grant him permission to use the same image?
I'll say one thing if nothing else, he is persistent!
Watch out for this guy, although I refused him permission to use my image in the first place, which incidentally cost me a decent sum for the shoot whence it came, he
simply went ahead and stole it!
On his web site he commands a ridiculous price but that said, if someone is happy to pay it then the proceeds go into his pocket which is a bit naughty when you think about it

The guy lives in Australia and if you would like to know who he is, send me a PM and I will tell you his name.
You can then check his website to see if he has stolen any of your pictures!

cheers

Rupert Rudd is off-line
05 November 2014 17:24
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

Do what I do - turn out crap that no one would want to copy or nick!
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

05 November 2014 18:32
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from Artist
You can then check his website to see if he has stolen any of your pictures!

I'm pretty confident he'll not have stolen anything of mine on here.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
06 November 2014 02:46
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Send him a bill for breach of copyright. It does not matter a jot what 'media' he used or if it has been tweaked it is still copying and you would be quite entitled to require the unauthorised copy is destroyed
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Sapphire is off-lineSilver Member
12 November 2014 14:49
BlueSapphire
Model
BlueSapphire
South Yorkshire

I've had this as a model - they didn't seem to realise I don't own the copyright even on my portfolio photos - I'm just lucky enough to have been granted permission to use them
If it's a hobby and they're just using the photo to be creative id take that as a compliment as this has happened to me
But these posts did make me laugh a little as surely they can paint from a smaller size photo or honestly (at the risk of being hung drawn & quartered) he couldn't just used the photo & said nothing & you would have been non the wiser so I guess you actually lucked out that he told you so you could check it out and then ask him to take it down so silver lining and all that!
Sapphire Blue - 10 Years of Modelling and still at it

Anthonygh is off-line
12 November 2014 15:00
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

The odd thing is...there are zillions of images of naked women on the net.....why pick on someone's he 'has contact' with?

marlham is off-line
12 November 2014 17:06
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

It's a common occurence on Deviantart - people asking if they can use your images as a reference for painting and drawing.

Here's one person's view which includes a reference to the artist who contacted the OP:

http://www.thewonderoflight.com/2012/11/an-artists-impression/

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
19 December 2014 11:03
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

If you did not give permission for anyone to use your images, then it is Copyright theft. Having seen your image on the "gentleman's" website (after you had refused permission) you should have simply issued a Copyright take-down notice (DMCA).

Everywhere I look on twitter and other such sites there are images of extremely beautiful ladies in all states of undress. The one thing they nearly always have in common is that the owner of the account did not take any of the images. That means he knows a lot of people, or more likely, he has been on the Internet and helped himself to other people's work. Yes I'm afraid Copyright theft is at epidemic levels.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Davetse duncanjames rscott360 Willy_O