Reminder Secure

Do models who are agency represented get more work?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Charlie Z  is off-lineSilver Member
26 September 2013 11:00
zoepinknose
Model
zoepinknose
Spain
albox Almeria

I was signed by 3 agencies at one time and still got all the work myself - complete waste of time! X
Never a dull moment

HowardJ is off-line
28 September 2013 11:21
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from zoepinknose
I was signed by 3 agencies at one time and still got all the work myself - complete waste of time! X

I think you probably get more work out of networking with other models and getting the details of photographers and people who have hired them for jobs.  I've certainly shot models who are friends of models I've previously shot.

PJA Media is off-line
29 September 2013 04:01
PJAMedia
Photographer
PJAMedia
Strathclyde
Glasgow

I must admit - I have used an agency to book a model just once in the 8 years I have been shooting for publication. Nearly all the models on agency lists are on here or other sites like this, and I would rather the models gets more money, avoiding the agency slice! I honestly think self promotion is the best bet these days - and given that you have the tools to do that (I.e. sites like this) it makes life much easier to achieve this. Even given the tools though, I think as a model, you really need to have the entrepreneurial approach for maintaing a constant stream of work. Just putting casting calls is not enough to guarantee this. Its tough out there! I think getting involved with studios is a good idea - maybe studio days, then casting for those. You get a bunch of new togs visit these studio days who maybe wouldn't have booked a model exclusively, and you then have their attention and can network with them to get exclusive bookings. Just one idea.

Agencies are OK maybe to get foreign attention (many foreign models I know have never heard of PS or PP etc, so I imagine the same for togs too), but as long as you choose the right ones located for the right audience, and as you said, definitely non-exclusive!

Paul

12 October 2013 05:39
paulbatterbury
Photographer

I used an agency the other day (mentioned on this thread) while I was in the UK... I wasn't impressed!

OK they found me a model at last minute notice due to a cancellation, which was good going.

The model they sent was inexperienced, failed to pose, even when directed and had no facial expression during the shoot, it was frustration, you know when you working to make some bad, good.

I was told she would work topless, and she didn’t, I was ask would I cover her travel of £37, and it was £59 and it was for a full days shoot, and the model blew the whistle halfway through.

The agency still wanted to charge me for the full day at topless level and pushed it for a while, but of course I stood my ground.

Another odd and very strange point, they wanted also me to sign over my rights on my images (yes the one I shot and paid the model for) so watch out for that, as they would have had the power to dictate to me what images I could have use and where…..

But the images where lame, thanks to such an un-inspirational model, now having chatted with a few others who have dealt with them, models and photographers, over rated and lack of work sum them up, seem that not all London agencies have the same professionalism.
Kind Regards Paul http://www.paul-batterbury.com

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Sammi_1985 Summerbrook
ad360photo ansonphotography dailand dannyrich david1500 dhuntuk digitizer dorrian eltel fashionphotography gkeesuk gordon guitarman Ianmcculloch ignite johnmphoto kai_kul Ladiesman Lumiere nemesis PhilStorm poah Richard99 vipimages Willjamieson
photo39