Reminder Secure

Do models who are agency represented get more work?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
RoxyMendez is off-lineSilver Member
18 September 2013 09:58
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

Hi Models!

Just wondering if those who are Agency represented get more work than those unsigned?

I have been in talks with two agencies who are very keen to sign me up. Supermodelagency and Codysmodels. Has anybody heard of these, if so, are they reputable?

If not - Are there any you would recommend for me please? From my understanding, more and more are non-exclusive these days.

Thanks. Roxy x

Chrissie Red is off-line
18 September 2013 11:17
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I was "signed" awhile ago - never got anything from it, and it never helped/hindered my bookings from the internet.

I guess it would entirely depend on who the model is and which agency?

I've never heard of any of those agencies before (which is not to say they are dodgy btw, I only really know the names of a handful of agencies). Scotland is in a bit of a "bad" way - most of the girls I've seen shouting about being agency signed seem to do little more than test with average photographers over and over again and by the time they are 20 they have "grown out" of wanting to be an agency model. I would be willing to bet that the majority of them make considerably less than I do as a freelance/ non agency signed model. Same obviously couldn't be said for those who are in London signed up to a decent agency.

If you do homework on those agencies and they are legitimate and you are still able to source your own work (and don't need them to approve everything) then I don't think being with them would hinder you. The more places you are available to be hired from then the better really!

Good luck

xx

rootofsilence is off-line
18 September 2013 12:46
rootofsilence
Photographer

Somerset

2 models I know - model 1 was signed to Nevs, model 2 Nevs refused to sign.

Over a 2 year period model 2 received more work from Nevs than model 1

19 September 2013 04:26
cathfazaxxx
Model

I have heard of both Supermodel and Codys. I am with Supermodel, Phil is great he is friendly and nice but I wouldn't put your heart on getting bookings from agencies.

The big agencies like Girl and Mode seem to get work.

I personally prefer to get my own bookings so your not waiting round for money ect...

CathFaza.
*dont let go of something you cant go a day without thinking of* <3

Cody is off-lineSilver Member
19 September 2013 13:38
Cody
Model
Cody
Oxfordshire
bicester

Codys cool !
I agree with the above. .I prefer to arrange things myself although I am rep'd

KHV is online
20 September 2013 17:45
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Hell NO

Kevin Wilson is off-line
21 September 2013 07:21
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Quote from RoxyMendez
Hi Models! Just wondering if those who are Agency represented get more work than those unsigned? I have been in talks with two agencies who are very keen to sign me up. Supermodelagency and Codysmodels. Has anybody heard of these, if so, are they reputable? If not - Are there any you would recommend for me please? From my understanding, more and more are non-exclusive these days. Thanks. Roxy x

Hi Roxy, First of all check if the agencies are registered with AMA , Association Model Agents if they are confirms they are geniune with worthwhile client base.

If they are not AMA registered worthwile to ask to see their client list, if they have a worthwhile client base will also give you some idea of the type of work that might be available.

Personally on here I tend to avoid agency representd models, as usually they are asking larger fees presumely to pay off an agency commission.

21 September 2013 12:41
HoneyB
Model
This member has been reset to pending

In my experience, no. I was agency represented & got the odd shoot, but almost all those shoots I found out the photographers used sites like this & actually paid models a little more as they dont have to pay agency booking fees. I left the agency after a year as I got far more bookings being freelance, including numerous print publications.
Honey xx
The REAL & PUBLISHED HoneyB

24 September 2013 04:06
paulbatterbury
Photographer

From a Photographers point of view and experience.

At the end of the day, Agents are middle men, who make money of your backs, very few have the contacts, and most of the contacts they have, and you can make yourself.

So forgetting TFP, and Syndication, what is left? Jobs for website content and then there is portfolio shoots with keen and experience hobbyists, because most hobbyists and Amateur are put of from using agents. The you may have a bit of TV work, all which you could all possible get yourself (direct), without losing a 20% cut.

That leaves the big jobs, such as featured mag articles and such a like which are few and far between and that really is only if you some type of celebrity connection. If you don’t keep your agent sweet, you are not put forward for them, and some agents require you to be exclusive with them.

The time you spend grooming you agent’s ego, is time you can productively get work direct, why wait a week and be exclusive for a £500 job, when you could have 5 days in the week and earned £1250 + on other shoots.

Agents are all very good at telling you what you want to hear, and even play the clients and model of each other, “they have not paid yet” “she is not available at the moment”, and after a while you will find that professional fall out and through frustration drop agents and look to working direct.

So agents do have good contacts, but if you think of joining an agency so you don’t have to look for work, then you are deluded, I know girls who have been

In my experience, agent have caused more work and confusion, not reduced it, if you look up the term agent in the dictionary and think about what you agent(s) do for you, them maybe you should consider brushing them aside.

One other things, Agent are also lazy, most the time I experience, forwarded emails and I ended up talking to the models direct to finish organising the shoot details, because it quicker and there is less time delay. As with the agent I know and that I have contacted in the past, none seem to pro-actively contact you and promote their models or arrange portfolio make overs, they do not invest in the agencies business interests.

food for thought.
Kind Regards Paul http://www.paul-batterbury.com

RoxyMendez is off-lineSilver Member
24 September 2013 06:42
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

Thanks for that guys.

Just to be clear, I never once thought of signing to an agency in hope of sitting with my feet up and waiting for work to come in.. I would always make sure that the agency was non exclusive. I'd never stop finding my own work.

Thanks again :-)

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 infinitelizzy poppylapilule tanyacox
ad360photo andy_howard andygstudios frankpht GlasgowPhotographer grahamsphotography HarishPadalia keltica Kjoservices lenspoynter manchestertog1 ownimage paletesdeluz philippahh redbaron rscott360 Snooper911 somers stevegosh Steveharratt swalsh58