Reminder Secure

Advice please.

Pixie1991 is off-line
14 September 2013 10:46
Gabby2013
Model

Derbyshire

Hi,

I'm a new model looking for more shoots. I get few bookings then photographers cancel. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I know I need to keep building my portfolio so I am willing to do TFCD etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Stu Buckland is off-line
14 September 2013 11:03
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglider
Kent
Maidstone

Without going into it too much, you're not really selling yourself on your portfolio notes, and also you state that you will only work to the levels you list (Fitness Model, Stock Photo, Fashion and Hair) and yet you have implied nudity on your port, including your main image. Kinda sends mixed messages.

14 September 2013 11:06
Jackass
Photographer

Persist, persist, persist. I've been stood up more times than a one-legged drunk.

You could try contacting photographers near you whose work you like and offer TF directly. You have a good look, but you're not alone there, lots of competition.

I get to Yorkshire occasionally but I never know until the day before. If you could be available short notice I would like to work with you.

Mike
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

Pict is off-line
14 September 2013 11:42
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

You will find glamour and nude are the main genres of work on this site and according to your profile you don't shoot these levels. Not saying that you should change your levels but you are trying to run against the tide and that will be difficult

Photo39 is off-linePlatinum Member
14 September 2013 14:07
beekay
Photographer
beekay
West Sussex

Quote from thestarglider
Without going into it too much, you're not really selling yourself on your portfolio notes, and also you state that you will only work to the levels you list (Fitness Model, Stock Photo, Fashion and Hair) and yet you have implied nudity on your port, including your main image. Kinda sends mixed messages.

Absolutely, it helps if as photographers, we get an idea of what attracts you to modeling and what you would like to achieve.

I accept that your main image is a carefully posed shot and you could be part clothed. However in the shot in the telephone box you are clearly naked.

If you wish to only work within the limits stated I suggest you remove this image, or state, as your images suggest, that you are happy with implied or  'tasteful' nude. Then change your work preferences to include nude and qualify this in your comments.

Razoir is off-line
15 September 2013 02:15
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

My standard advice for all models. Male, female or dog.
Be you. You are the best YOU there ever has been or ever will be. No-one will be as goOd at being you as you.
Do not try to be anyone else. No-one wants to book a second rate Bronson, Olivier, Chopin or Ryan Giggs. They want the real thing. You are not the real thing, except when you are being you.
Models who are successful are ALMOST always, the models who work hard. The number of models who do well financially because they charge thousand an hour are numbered in the low teens WORLDWIDE.
Be versatile, that is a large part of the working hard bit. You do not have an ego, the photographer has one far bigger than it needs to be for both of you. The more of a chameleon you can be the more useful you are. Modelling is not glamorous. Modelling is not glamorous. Modelling is not glamorous. If in doubt refer to the three statements preceding.
Studios are drafty, cold, untidy, smelly..... They are in the cheapest part of town. They need multiple buses to get there. You must not be late. "What happened?" No one cares. You must not be late.
Research and understand the different genre of modelling. The more you understand, the better you will do.
If you have a few minutes Google Lom Chaney. He was a Hollywood actor. He started as an extra. He went for every part he could possibly apply for. He turned up costumed and made-up for the part. He worked his arse off. He got a lot of work BECAUSE HE WAS THERE. He got turned down for far more than he every got. You are a salesman. You are selling yourself. Any half decent salesman will tell you that less than 10% of his pitches succeed. You will be lucky to make that many BUT if you pitch enough the 8% or so will be enough. DO NOT GET DISHEARTENED BY THE 98% that tell you to bog off. Get enthused by the successes.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Elaine  is off-lineSilver Member
15 September 2013 04:55
seeryder
Model
seeryder
West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Hi Gabby,
I think there are 2 reasons why you are not getting bookings: 1 is that you don't do Glam/nude work & 2 you have a chaperone I am afraid that many photographers want 1 & not 2.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
15 September 2013 08:47
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

I would say it's the photographers that cancelled are time wasters and it was their loss. The chaperone thing will put off some but not all. Yet it is a bit of a problem and one you may well need to consider. Just keep plugging away put up some casting calls and make perfectly clear as to what levels you are prepared to shoot.

Fotopete is off-line
15 September 2013 13:01
fotopete
Photographer

Essex

Although the comments above have some relevance, I got the impression that Gabby was asking why photographers have cancelled arranged shoots. Personally, the earlier comments wold seem to cover a lack of bookings, rather than why the bookings have been cancelled

On the issue of photographers cancelling, I'm at a loss as I shoot to sell, so don't have this issue, but it may be that the bookings were with hobbyists who suddenly had to do family stuff/ money was spent on something else/ maybe they are photo collectors. Do you ever get any reasons offered?

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
15 September 2013 13:32
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

Have you perhaps changed the wording in your profile since these shoots were cancelled? I cancelled a couple of shoots this year when the model suddenly sprang on me that they were bringing a chaperone, after the shoot had been arranged. (I also cancelled a beach shoot when the model stated she wasn't prepared to wear a bikini, but I realise that's not the case here)!

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Hann kacie Kerrylou Kitty_1 RoxyMendez
2bridgesphotography bob22 copperbronze Don_Dark duncanjames ellessephotography firsttake Funder005 hjphoto humphries mlp nickdandalos parafotos siclews Steveharratt trouble72