Reminder Secure

Rudest reply

13 September 2013 10:55
upnorthsnaps
Photographer

I recently hired an amazing place to shoot from and the day before the model cancelled. So I sent a nice politely worded request to some models local to the place. Most replied with a polite, thanks but I'm busy. However 2 days after the shoot, I got a reply back from a 'semi professional model' worded......'how much'

I've had some ignorant messages in the past but this one was a cracker.

Anyone encountered any manners that left a lot to be desired?

Matthew G is off-line
13 September 2013 11:28
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I wouldn't really say that was rude, probably just a model that had just read 25 emails and was just to the point.... Short, yes. Not particularly inviting but I can think of fa far ruder replies.... Like 'Bugger off, your work is pants, why would I want to work with a loser like you' haha. Not saying that about yourself or your work as I havent looked at it but just pointing out that it could have been a lotttttt ruder!! :-) keep smiling and move on to the next :-)

Neil Anderson is off-line
13 September 2013 17:59
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Brevity isn't necessarily rude. With people using smart phones it can be tedious to compose a polite (ie long) message. Sometimes one can be unsure of prolonged reception (such as on the tube) or possibly time is short (such as replying during a change at a shoot).

Where the casting appears to be last minute (even if it had actually passed) there isn't really much time for a leisurely reply.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

14 September 2013 03:17
upnorthsnaps
Photographer

Yeah I guess so...maybe it's a little of both. Your portfolio is pants, and I wouldn't consider a shoot with you if you were the last photographer on earth. But btw how much were you offering for some out of focus, poorly lit, phone camera pics of me! Bless her cotton socks.

Gregory Mason is off-line
14 September 2013 04:27
Gregory_Mason
Photographer
Gregory_Mason
West Midlands
Birmingham

It saves time, as you know correspondence is going to be drawn out if someone is not capable of replying cohesively it ends there.

Paul Hodson is off-line
14 September 2013 09:37
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from stolenfaces
Brevity isn't necessarily rude. With people using smart phones it can be tedious to compose a polite (ie long) message. Sometimes one can be unsure of prolonged reception (such as on the tube) or possibly time is short (such as replying during a change at a shoot).

Where the casting appears to be last minute (even if it had actually passed) there isn't really much time for a leisurely reply.

Could have managed one word more perhaps? "please"?

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Spike is off-line
14 September 2013 14:18
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

"How much?" is concise but hardly rude.

Not sure if "Interested" in reply to one of my castings counts as longer - more letters or shorter - less words.

Equally I've had the odd short novel as a reply to castings, give me a short concise reply any day, plus if they don't fit the criteria for the casting I can save time by replying with a simple "No"
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

OldMaster is off-line
14 September 2013 15:22
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

A reply that indicates she has no other interest in the shoot except "how much" probably means you might have done worse and actually booked her! She did you a favour revealing her complete lack of interest in any other aspect of the shoot except what she could make out of it...

14 September 2013 17:01
Tansy_Blue
Model

I think mine was one particular photographer...I didn't want to work for him as he wanted to shoot for an adult magazine, when I told him so he replied with "okay...some day you will have to get a real job". x.x

He approached me again a few months later and when I again declined he told me "if work is slow why not apply for Babestation, the competition's stiff but you might get in".
Excuse me...did I ask for career advice? What makes you think I'm doing badly? And did you just imply I'm not good enough for Babestation? I have no idea what standards the channel looks for, but "you should try this, might not be good enough, but you're clearly struggling so give it a shot" is pretty rude in my book.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Amber West is off-line
15 September 2013 05:15
Amber6
Model
Amber6
Dumfries and Galloway

Quote from Tansy_Blue
I think mine was one particular photographer...I didn't want to work for him as he wanted to shoot for an adult magazine, when I told him so he replied with "okay...some day you will have to get a real job". x.x He approached me again a few months later and when I again declined he told me "if work is slow why not apply for Babestation, the competition's stiff but you might get in". Excuse me...did I ask for career advice? What makes you think I'm doing badly? And did you just imply I'm not good enough for Babestation? I have no idea what standards the channel looks for, but "you should try this, might not be good enough, but you're clearly struggling so give it a shot" is pretty rude in my book.

Haha, (sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh! But...!) Geez, what a flipping weirdo!
I've had the normal run of the mill rude replies after my politely turning down collaboration requests.  I totally see now why people don't reply to offers for shoots they don't want.

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pinklilly
chandos FirstLifePhotography iestyn Pellium redtail sammylhel