Any thoughts ?

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
11 September 2013 11:22
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Did a few birthday pics for a friend at the weekend, very pleased with the majority, apart from a couple taken of a family....

Shot at 15th at 5.6 ISO 400 bounced flash
Now 5.6 is normally perfectly adequate for small medium groups around tables however I am suprised at the two males in the picture are so far out of focus especially the young lad, compared with the two girls, other small groups  with greater depths than this one shot with same settings are perfectly fine. but very suprised and somewhat baffled by these. focus point was the face of the young lady.

Any thoughts ?
Cheers
Graham

'You hold onto your tongue, and I will hold onto my patience...'

Gerry is off-line
11 September 2013 11:42
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

What was the focal length and were you shooting with a crop or full frame sensor?

It doesn't look very wide and therefore the zone of sharpness would be quite small. Wide angles create other problems though such as distortion

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
Input your settings and camera into the link and see what it throws up

If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
11 September 2013 13:37
smooth_image
Photographer
smooth_image
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Full frame (6d) still waiting for my 24-105 to arrive so took a 100mm 2.8 L and a 17-40 L

This picture was taken with the 17-40 and all the shots were fine apart from a couple like this.

Cheers

G.
'You hold onto your tongue, and I will hold onto my patience...'

Gerry is off-line
11 September 2013 14:07
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

6D is full frame.

If you shot at 40 mm F5.6 and were about 2 m away, then 500 mm behind the focus point should have been sharp

If you shot at 100 mm F5.6 and were about 3 m away, then 160 mm behind focus point would have been sharp

You need to look at the exif data to check what actual focal length you shot at and how close you are to the subject will make a difference.

I can only think of a couple of reasons from the info you gave me
1) Focus error - the point was actually in front of the nearest person so they still were in focus but back two dropped out of the zone of sharpness
2) You actually shot these with the 100 mm which would have meant the zone of sharpness from the focus point was only 160 mm backwards and the two males look further back
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Candykisses DanielleWx Lucina Scarlett_rose14 Stephieb27 toxicinnocence
63jian Arterotica david1500 funky HarishPadalia kimsandman2 Kjoservices Ladiesman michaelangelo mlp panda49 parafotos paulfcm16 psn Quad1 sniffer Studio1 thelook
harbourstudio