HowardJ is off-line
29 September 2013 09:49
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from Andy_B
Jeez - seems to be a lot of throwing good money after bad here.

High quality modern camcorders can be had for not much money these days. No need to fight with DV tapes, analogue connections etc.

Really, advice to replace a PC just to get firewire to hook a camera to? Insane.

Not really insane as the next thing she'll be wanting is more memory and maybe an SSD or a second hard drive. A new tower PC which has space for cards would last another 3 years or so. All in one PCs are limiting and even the smaller of the iMacs doesn't have user changeable memory.

DV tapes prove a nice backup mechanism. Memory based camcorders would require additional external hard drives to backup the raw footage and the cheaper ones often don't have XLR audio jacks or the ability for decent mics, shock mounts, wide angle lenses or on camera lighting.

Shawn Barker is off-line
29 September 2013 10:12
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Quote from Andy_B
Jeez - seems to be a lot of throwing good money after bad here. High quality modern camcorders can be had for not much money these days. No need to fight with DV tapes, analogue connections etc. Really, advice to replace a PC just to get firewire to hook a camera to? Insane. Time to bite the bullet and get rid of this white elephant camcorder, replace it with something that records to a solid state card.

1/ Firewire connection is digital not analog. There are no analog connections anywhere in the workflow.

2/ The Sony camcorder still outperforms anything in the same price bracket (£1k) in my opinion. Far better autofocus/better image stabilisation/shoulder mount for mobile footage/smooth servo zoom/better lense and Infinityly better audio recording. Remember we are not talking DSLR which is not a realible option for handheld at this price point .

3/ DV transfer to HD recodes in realtime to the users software preferred editing codec. Transfer of solid state from a camera is normally a 2 stage process, the transfer, then the recode before reliable editing can be done be realtime scrub etc. Editing DV is a breeze, even on a lower powered all-in-one.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
29 September 2013 10:21
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Quote from FrameworksMedia
1/ Firewire connection is digital not analog. There are no analog connections anywhere in the workflow.

Keep up, Frameworks... Samatha bought this analogue interface 'cos she couldn't get Firewire working.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002QG5JFC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote2/ The Sony camcorder still outperforms anything in the same price bracket (£1k) in my opinion. Far better autofocus/better image stabilisation/shoulder mount for mobile footage/smooth servo zoom/better lense and Infinityly better audio recording. Remember we are not talking DSLR which is not a realible option for handheld at this price point .

I'm not talking DSLRs either. Panasonic do some amazing HD camcorders for less money, as do Sony - and they record to SD which is a whole lot more convenient. Audio input too.

Quote3/ DV transfer to HD recodes in realtime to the users software preferred editing codec. Transfer of solid state from a camera is normally a 2 stage process, the transfer, then the recode before reliable editing can be done be realtime scrub etc. Editing DV is a breeze, even on a lower powered all-in-one.

Reading the spec, I don't think it'll transfer HD pictures over DV/Firewire.

So if 'recoding on the fly' means getting all your HD footage converted to SD, it's not particularly a feature I'd go for.

Anyway, Samantha can't get Firewire for her PC - and changing computer seems an extreme step to get a camera working. In this situation, re-appraising the camera itself seems sensible.

Shawn Barker is off-line
29 September 2013 11:17
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Quote from Andy_B
Keep up, Frameworks... Samatha bought this analogue interface 'cos she couldn't get Firewire working.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002QG5JFC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep up Andy_B it has a Dv(firewire) interface and HDV editing was added on version 11 - this one's version 14. Anything else you need to know?

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Franchella Ohlookitsnemo Olivia75 pinklilly QueenDeeVa01
carshaltonkev chicimages ChrisD Daveinsurrey david1500 GlasgowPhotographer James7799 JohnDentonPhoto magpie1 msmith_tog paul101 philippahh rscott360 simont Sp_digital