Miss Distania is off-line
06 September 2013 04:42
maxina
Model
maxina
London
london

Hiya,

i have had some images and personal info stolen and uploaded to a site which i did not authorise and now there seems to be no way of contacting the site as there contact info is bogus and i want the images and info removed.
Can anyone suggest what to do ?

Moderator Input
This sounds like it may be the currently very common Phishing problem aimed at models.
The individual/s behind such sites create fake Model Portfolios then use a highjacked
email address, social networking site page or model site portfolio to try to persuade those
models whose images & info were stolen to create a profile to contact the perpetrator/s.
The primary aim is to obtain passwords as some members use the same one for many sites.

As these Phishing sites make use of free web space it is near impossible to trace the culprits.

Please see here: +++++ YOUR PASSWORD SECURITY +++++

06 September 2013 04:44
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Can you contact the person who took them and see if they know anything about it?
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

06 September 2013 04:57
maxina
Model
maxina
London
london

There seems to be no contact info on the site, and when you email the adress provided it comes back with Mailer demon.

Rod Macdonald is off-line
06 September 2013 05:06
rod_m99
Photographer
rod_m99
Cambridgeshire
Cambridge

You need to contact the photographer who took the pictures, as they own the copyright and thus have the right to force the website to take them down (although making the wesbite do this may be easier said than done, I'm afraid).

If the images are used on the website with the photographer's permission, then there isn't much you can do, unless you have a written agreement with the photographer that gives you control over how the images are used?

Neil Anderson is off-line
06 September 2013 05:07
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Do a Whois on the website which will tell you the web host and contact details.
Google Whois
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

06 September 2013 05:10
maxina
Model
maxina
London
london

Thanks everyone,
i will contact the photographers and let them know as they certainly did not authorise this and neither did i

Aegean is off-line
06 September 2013 06:11
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

Find out the web hosting company by going to

www.who.is

and typing in the domain name of the site.

This will reveal the IP address of the server and you can use

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

to find the hosting company.

Send the hosting company an abuse report to the abuse email address they have.

Give the hosting company all the information you have on the infringing site.

Explain that because the infringing site has not valid email address to report copyright infringment you are now holding the hosting company jointly and severally liable for damages for the infringment of your copyrighted material.

Attach a list of the specific image URLs and page URLS that infringe your copyright.

If the host is based in the USA then make sure you add this phrase to the start of your email:

"I am XXXX XXXXX, I am the the the legal owner of the following copyrighted works illegally loaded onto your servers.I have the good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorised by the copyright owner, its agents, or the law."

This is the legal statement required for a valid DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) notification to US hosts.
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

06 September 2013 13:38
maxina
Model
maxina
London
london

Thanks for the info ,i will follow your advice
And yes i think a lot of thesr sites are trying to do as the moderator states above.

06 September 2013 14:26
Nick_Edinburgh
Photographer

As AegeanSoft said...

It's useful to know that almost all Internet firms have terms of service that outlaw illegal activities of any kind. So if any one refuses to help with a legitimate complaint (in this case of IP theft) then you can complain or threaten to complain to others up the food chain, such as their pipeline providers or domain registrars, who also have such ToS. I've found this very useful knowledge in past cases, which rarely fails.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE Alicestar AriaRosee ElleLaura Hayleyrooney isobel111 jodieellen Pebbles40 Stephieb27
antoinewynn Auctioneer ChrisNewton claypaws dorrian frankpht Funder005 Jamesrichards Jaywirksworth khan1984 mlp parafotos philippahh redmedia Rhadamanthus
Discretion