Reminder Secure

130 vehicles involved in pile-ups on one stretch!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 September 2013 01:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The worst thing is when riding my motorbike (in a group). We often ride at sensible speeds in poor weather (rain, fog) but it's amazing how often people are RedChecker is a naughty person ting themselves to overtake the dozen or so of us. The scariest one was like carshaltonkev's experience where we had some woman get past us in a built up area (who'd beeen trying for the last 5 minutes) only to emergency stop to pull into a garage as soon as she'd got past - really RedChecker is a naughty person dangerous.

At the very least my car's now video equipped so hopefully should it be needed I can hopefully prove that their driving is eratic/wreckless.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

06 September 2013 01:36
twentytwenty
Photographer

Makes the case for cars fitted with sensors that take the control off the driver to avoid collisions like this.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 September 2013 01:41
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from twentytwenty
Makes the case for cars fitted with sensors that take the control off the driver to avoid collisions like this.

Sensors aren't foolproof. My car isn't fitted with it but there is the option of lane assist and collision detection via a radar of sorts that's placed on the front of the car. There's about a dozen pages in the manual covering safe use of the system and how not to use it, more agro than it's worth IMO.

I personally think video is the way forward, simply to cover your own arse legally, accidents can and will always happen.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
06 September 2013 01:59
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from carshaltonkev
. In retrospect I don't think I did much wrong, though of course, as the police told me- I was driving too close and too fast (40 mph) for the conditions. !

The only thing you did that was wrong was to leave insuifficient room between you and the vehicle in front!

If you were driving downhill on a slippy wet road surface then your 'safe' gap between you and the vehicle in front should have been doubled - it would have allowed you to stop more gradually and without colliding with the vehicle in front and most likely have allowed time for the following driver to also brake without rear-ending your car even if he was following too closely.

You can't do anything about idiot drivers who choose to stop or change direction suddenly and without warning but, you can protect yourself from them by leaving a safe gap from the vehicle in front which makes allowances for them!

www.le-femme.co.uk

modjo30 is off-line
06 September 2013 03:10
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Cambridgeshire
st neots

I have a gopro fitted to my car to record my journey's in case of an accident or witnessing an accident.

It was amazing watching it back yesterday and counting how many morons were driving with no lights on or the ones who did have lights on, just had side lights and no fog lights on.

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
06 September 2013 04:14
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

I've often wondered whether a simple device that activates the brake warning lights whenever a driver takes his foot off the accelerator, might assist a driver behind to foresee intended braking. Or brake lights activated by the proximity of the foot over the pedal. The problem with brake lights only activating when pressure is applied to the brake pedal, is that by the time a following driver reacts to the brake lights, the vehicle in front has already slowed, thus reducing available safe stopping distance. Should I apply to Dragon's Den?

Tony Stephenson is off-line
06 September 2013 04:21
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from Kiboko
I've often wondered whether a simple device that activates the brake warning lights whenever a driver takes his foot off the accelerator, might assist a driver behind to foresee intended braking. Or brake lights activated by the proximity of the foot over the pedal. The problem with brake lights only activating when pressure is applied to the brake pedal, is that by the time a following driver reacts to the brake lights, the vehicle in front has already slowed, thus reducing available safe stopping distance. Should I apply to Dragon's Den?

Nahhhh! They'd only come up with " what's wrong with keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front - I'm out?"
www.le-femme.co.uk

theperfectgentleman is off-line
06 September 2013 04:56
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectgentleman
Essex
Chelmsford

Hi.
I think you are all missing the point, from the witness interviews and comments I have heard it was the
"Im in the middle lane" morrons who swerved into different lanes rather than drive properly and brake who caused the majority of the impacts.

Laura McIntyre (née Ford) is off-line
06 September 2013 09:13
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian
West Lothian and Edinburgh

Blame aside, I still can't believe nobody died, what a miracle considering the scale of the pile-up.
A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

Peter Taylor is off-line
06 September 2013 09:48
Pierre47Tay
Photographer

Kent

C'mon guys, this is Isle of Shepway!! Say no more.........

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Powell22
Arterotica George99 hovephotoman john_at_tina_spice laurencejpower panda49 powerbook92 severndigital siclews stevegosh TonyHazell xsa73 zzdigital