Reminder Secure

130 vehicles involved in pile-ups on one stretch!

Tony Stephenson is off-line
05 September 2013 16:30
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

130 vehicles involved in pile-ups on one short stretch of road! I reckon the insurance companies will have a great time apportioning blame for all those collisions. 

Isn't it amazing how many appalling drivers there are on the road at any one time!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23970047
www.le-femme.co.uk

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
05 September 2013 17:04
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Is it not always the other 129, who are s***e drivers?

05 September 2013 17:30
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from magpie1

Certainly not all those who were involved in collisions will have been at fault and would avoided any collision if it wasn't for the idiots behind -  suicidal driving into fog - should they even be on the road?
www.le-femme.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
05 September 2013 17:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from magpie1

+1

I once witnessed a 7/8 car pileup at the end of a dual carriageway during rush hour as it turned back to single lane when the car in front decided to emergency stop for some reason. Regardless of what anyone says about stopping distances etc. what sort of complete RedChecker is a naughty person moron would do such a thing?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

05 September 2013 18:01
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from RedChecker
+1 I once witnessed a 7/8 car pileup at the end of a dual carriageway during rush hour as it turned back to single lane when the car in front decided to emergency stop for some reason. Regardless of what anyone says about stopping distances etc. what sort of complete tonycsm is a naughty person moron would do such a thing?

Isn't the idea of leaving sufficient gap to allow for idiots in front as well as behind?

www.le-femme.co.uk

tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from RedChecker
+1 I once witnessed a 7/8 car pileup at the end of a dual carriageway during rush hour as it turned back to single lane when the car in front decided to emergency stop for some reason. Regardless of what anyone says about stopping distances etc. what sort of complete tonycsm is a naughty person moron would do such a thing?

Isn't the idea of leaving sufficient gap to allow for idiots in front as well as behind?

www.le-femme.co.uk

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Quote from RedChecker
+1 I once witnessed a 7/8 car pileup at the end of a dual carriageway during rush hour as it turned back to single lane when the car in front decided to emergency stop for some reason. Regardless of what anyone says about stopping distances etc. what sort of complete carshaltonkev is a naughty person moron would do such a thing?

Snap! I was once the fourth car in a serious six car nose to tail pile up on the A3 on a stretch that was (at the time) still single carriageway. Caused by somebody hitting the brakes hard, having decided at the last second to try to turn right into a pub. On a downhill slope in slippery wet conditions, I stood no chance of stopping, despite being quite a distance behind the car in front. I doubt if the idiot who stopped took any of the blame. So I can see how it happened today, but on that kind of scale?! I have seen photos from today where cars have ended up in a pile three cars high! You must be driving far too fast to end up on the third tier!

I have been driving at 50 mph in very limited visibility in fog on a motorway and seen plenty of cars overtake me in the outside lane doing 80- 85 mph. Some without any lights on. Mostly BMWs. I bet they could see 20 yards max in front. Complete idiots. Should not be allowed to drive on the roads.   
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
05 September 2013 18:40
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

The only comments I'm not entirely in agreement with is the suggestion that a motorist who comes to a sudden halt is necessarily blameworthy. If the act was done deliberately with the intention to force the following driver to hit the brakes, or the driver came to a sudden halt for no reason, (such as they realised they'd missed the turning or similar, the driver was drunk, drugged or in some other way driving inconsistently, they would be, ... although in the case of the three latter examples surely the manner of their driving would be apparent, thus a warning to others to stay well back. However if the sudden braking was for a genuine reason, I don't see how they could be so judged. The driver behind is not necessarily to know until after the event WHY the vehicle in front came to a sudden stop, - in a sense it's irrelevant because the effect is likely to be the same regardless. A driver hits the brakes when a child runs out from behind a parked car; owing to his quick reactions he avoids a collision with the child but the car behind runs into the back of him. The same occurs because the driver of the car in front realises he's left something at home, - the first driver is praiseworthy, the second blameworthy - but the outcome is the same because the driver of the car behind was travelling at a speed and distance behind the leading car too fast and too close for them to be able to stop should such an event occur.

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
05 September 2013 19:30
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

In my crash I thought I was travelling far enough behind the car in front. There was apparently plenty of gap. What I did not expect or anticipate was the car in front of me to be brought to a very abrupt halt by smashing into the stationery car in front. Fortunately this does not happen very often. But such a scenerio happened today.

By the time I had reacted I was a lot closer to the car in front. I hit the brakes with full force and hence skidded in the wet (before ABS) down the slope and it did not help that the tarmac had been worn smooth by traffic. I nearly stopped in time, but lightly skidded into the car in front. I skidded for an amazing distance. I was just thinking "Oh dear" when I was hit with enormous force by the car behind me.

In retrospect I don't think I did much wrong, though of course, as the police told me- I was driving too close and too fast (40 mph) for the conditions.

So I assume that many drivers today were driving at say 60 mph and following another car doing 60 mph at what appears a safe distance, but could not stop in time when the car in front decelerates to 0 mph in less than a second as it hits a truck. No doubt all the drivers will be labelled as driving too fast and too close for the conditions? Even if they stopped in time and the car behind rammed them into the car in front?!
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Paul Hodson is off-line
06 September 2013 02:27
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

The only people not responsible in such a crash are those who do stop - but then get tail-ended into the cars in front.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Astramore fashion29 infinitelizzy Laurenxoxt Lord1982 shadowsfire
63jian cliffc djb1 flatheadrich JohnDentonPhoto Kentrichuk Kjoservices MarcXJR Musicman pb_photography philippahh photomart Picturemike Platidonio spiritofwales stevegosh