Reminder Secure

models with tog partners

02 September 2013 01:20
markyboy
Photographer

This question is mainly aimed at photographers but it would also be great to hear from models aswell.Being married to a part time model (ladyd39) ive often wondered if photographers are put off working with a model if her partner is a photographer or would you feel more pressured or deal with a shoot in a very different way.From personal experience ive often found it very beneficial working with models who have photographer partners,or who do photography themselves,and this has often lead to a more creative shoot and also a great way to learn more about photography.

Chrissie Red is off-line
02 September 2013 10:04
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Its an interesting question.

Guess those who feel "insecure" about it are also the type who dislike models who also do photography as a hobby.

I don't generally shout and scream about my partner nor do I hide the fact he does photography, what might go in my favour is that before he met me he had never picked up a camera and now a large part of my portfolio is his images. I didn't "MAKE" him what he is but I like to think I helped his work progress, in the same way I could help other peoples work progress if they allow me to. I know that a portfolio of only one model or one photographers work (especially if it all looks the same) can be off putting but I don't generally put that down to the relationship being an issue - more so that the person viewing the portfolio is led to believe that the person - be it photographer or model can only produce portfolio worthy work with the one creative (who just happens to be a partner).

I guess it does happen, there are some photographers who are intimidated by models who also happen to be good behind a camera. Those are the same photographers though who are intimidated by a strong portfolio. Those who say "I want to work with you but I need to get better" even when they are wanting to pay me to model for them, I don't try to change their minds. I just leave them to it, most models who are being paid regularly to model may have good portfolios of there own but a search of their work with other people might be beneficial to those who are intimidated.

Its a strange thing, maybe they worry about being the "worst photographer/model" that person has worked with - all I have to say on that matter is I that I have worked with some people who maybe aren't that good/ haven't taken the best shots in the world of me but nobody stands out as being the worst. Just like nobody stands out as being "the best". Everybody is different!

There are some great "pros" to working with a model who has a partner as a photographer..

I've had photographers cameras/lenses fail on them during a shoot and been able to use mine/my partners camera if they didn't have a backup. I also have studio lights etc should anybody want to borrow them.

Peter Hague is off-line
02 September 2013 11:17
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Not bothered as long as they stay out of it. If I'm arranging a shoot I'm not interested in his views, and if he wants to tag along, then that's insta-cancel.

I'd also be very sparing with details of the shoot, been bitten that way before.  But no interference, no problem.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

02 September 2013 11:47
barone
Photographer

I've just worked with Carla...her husband is a professional photographer...didn't bother me...Except when she asked me what camera I had...
Next Model Day...23rd March 2014...http://purpleport.com/portfolio/angie...Interested?...Ask me for details.

02 September 2013 12:13
markyboy
Photographer

wow im suprised at the amount of responses and thankyou all for your comments.I must admit ive never had any issues with models who have tog partners but i do know some togs have been put off working with diana because of me.I really dont know why,as im certainly not the sort of tog who stands looking over the togs shoulder while he or she is trying to work.Most of the time i end up helping out with props etc and quite often lend some of my gear to help if anyone has forgotten something,but usually im out of the way or making a brew for everyone lol.Anyway thankyou again guys for your honesty,much appreciated.

Chrissie Red is off-line
02 September 2013 14:48
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Maybe the problem is you being there, even if you are just helping out some people don't really like another photographer hanging around even in the same building or even just another person

Gerry is off-line
02 September 2013 14:55
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

It depends but not in the way you think.

I have found one or two models [this is some time ago] who shoot a lot with one person [partner or just a muse relationship] start to introduce stuff into the shoot because that is what they do all the time with their photographer. I found that I was having to justify why we should do something the way I wanted when they were used to another way. At the time I found it both frustrating and a little limiting.

I have never really experienced that behaviour from other models so I do make a conscious decision to avoid models who seem to have a portfolio built around one photographer
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Hann Michelledefeo1 Yenguo
aprilscherz3 davemac ellessephotography grahamsphotography iestyn JimPow jrjstanford MauricesImagery Peter_d_photography Platidonio rscott360 severndigital xposed