Reminder Secure

Bad drivers every-where but which car makes stand out ?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
23 August 2013 04:59
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

Someone driving at 90mph with their young son in the car! Might that qualify for a report to the Social Services if the driver was stopped by the police, (inter-agency co-operation)? The attitude "I know I'm a good driver", - half an hour with an advanced driving instructor would probably blow that statement to shreds. The death rate in Spain where they have a much higher speed-limit than in the UK, is far greater, one of the highest in Europe. Cars may well have evolved and improved in terms of braking, road-holding etc., but driving standards haven't. Personal driver reaction times are no faster than they were in 1975. Damon Hill sums it up pretty well, beg to differ and insult him if you will, he's only the 1966 F1 World Champion racing driver, when he states, - "Most people aren't safe to drive over 55. Honestly, the speed limit going up to 80mph makes me shudder... Because people drive too fast on the motorway. Mostly they drive too fast, too close to the car in front, and they think they know what they're doing. And they don't." He continued, "The concentration level you are at in a race situation, you're in a totally different state of mind," he said. "What happens when people drive on the roads is that they don't concentrate, they just think about something else. So they're relying on their unconscious to respond to things. That's why it's better to drive at a sensible pace".

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
23 August 2013 07:44
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

For me the biggest danger is stupidity not make of car. That and archaic speed limits. Hogging the middle lane, travelling slowly in the overtaking lane, restricting articulated lorries to 40 mph when there is actually no need in most cases.

Alowing caravans to exist at all. Cars are not designed to tow something larger than they are!
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Neil Anderson is off-line
23 August 2013 08:03
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from oceanova
I was waiting for a white knight to mount his steed and try to crucify me.

The 70 mph speed limit was introduced in 1965, cars have evolved a lot since then if you was unaware. Dampening / Traction control, vented disc brakes, abs breaking systems.

Stats say we have ony of the highest death rates in europe, yet we are still using archaic speed limits, it's funny how France Belgium and germany have lower death rates yet higher speed limits. They tried to up the limit a short while back

I don't give a toss about your view of how I drive, I know I drive safely, I know I am courteous to other drivers around me and I also  know driving a luxury BMW I am protected by Multi point airbags and the fact that my car is built like a Panzer.

You want me and the rest of the internet to believe you have never ever sped over a limit, my you are truly whiter than white, you shall surely go to heaven. 

As your second point is not true, I presume the rest are rubbish too. Certainly road design and person design have not advanced much since 1965.
Fuel economy is still pathetic at 90mph (I could make up a statistic if I was as cavalier with facts as you seem to be with driving.) - but you've got loads of money so wasting fuel is fine and macho.
Personally I would be in favour of making the limit on motorways 80 in dry weather/ 70 in wet and then enforcing it rigorously (average speed cameras etc).

There is a reason that you will be banned from driving if caught doing 90, it is not safe to generally drive around at that speed nor courteous.
Why do you think the person flashing you because you were going too slow at 90 is any worse a driver than you.
Who are you to decide that 90 is a sensible speed but 95 is not ?

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

23 August 2013 08:05
Lisaliz
Model

For non-driving selfishness, the 4 x 4s easily win the contest in my part of the world. Blocking pavements, parking outside schools even on the wavy line, just so their precious darlings are not inconvenienced or put at risk. Once moving, they will favour the wrong lane so that they can cut into the right lane later on and save themselves a few seconds. Diva drivers!

Gary Newton is off-line
23 August 2013 08:13
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

Quote from HowardJ
and there in lies the problem. Doing cheeky moves and sitting on someone's tail flashing your lights is likely to leave a trail of destruction behind you.

This was the point I was making in the begining until the white knights rode up and started spouting there usual self righteousness on who ever will listen.
I was crusing in the outside lane, yes I was breaking the speed limit, no I was not driving eracticly I was using cruise control, I never tail gate it is top of my road rage list, I was in the outside lane because lorries occupy the the 2 inside lanes and those people who feel safer driving 55mph on the motorway. 

Quote from Kiboko
Someone driving at 90mph with their young son in the car! Might that qualify for a report to the Social Services if the driver was stopped by the police, (inter-agency co-operation)? The attitude "I know I'm a good driver", - half an hour with an advanced driving instructor would probably blow that statement to shreds. The death rate in Spain where they have a much higher speed-limit than in the UK, is far greater, one of the highest in Europe. Cars may well have evolved and improved in terms of braking, road-holding etc., but driving standards haven't. Personal driver reaction times are no faster than they were in 1975. Damon Hill sums it up pretty well, beg to differ and insult him if you will, he's only the 1966 F1 World Champion racing driver, when he states, - "Most people aren't safe to drive over 55. Honestly, the speed limit going up to 80mph makes me shudder... Because people drive too fast on the motorway. Mostly they drive too fast, too close to the car in front, and they think they know what they're doing. And they don't." He continued, "The concentration level you are at in a race situation, you're in a totally different state of mind," he said. "What happens when people drive on the roads is that they don't concentrate, they just think about something else. So they're relying on their unconscious to respond to things. That's why it's better to drive at a sensible pace".

Oh the horror, my god ring child protection, this man must be a child abuser. 
I think you'll find you miss typed Damon was crowned in 1996, a small error but Damon would of been only 6. I agree with a lot of what Damon states, the reason he became president of the BRDC is because he talks sense. The attitude 'I know I'm a good driver' comes from 29 years accident free driving, I took the advanced driving course when I was 21, it was a requirement of my insurance company to provide cover on a particular car.
I can't comment about spain but northern europe I probably have more experience than most having travelled the length of Germany, France, Netherlands and Belgium several times a year. 
I did chuckle when I read "Most people aren't safe to drive over 55" was Damon talking about age or speed. I would ban half the oldies on the road, driving to slow, hesitating and causing accidents, visually impaired, deaf and yes that would include my mother.

One last minor point Damon has in the past owned a BMW / Audi dealership.... not sure if he still does.

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
23 August 2013 08:14
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from stolenfaces

As your second point is not true, I presume the rest are rubbish too. Certainly road design and person design have not advanced much since 1965.
Fuel economy is still pathetic at 90mph (I could make up a statistic if I was as cavalier with facts as you seem to be with driving.) - but you've got loads of money so wasting fuel is fine and macho.
Personally I would be in favour of making the limit on motorways 80 in dry weather/ 70 in wet and then enforcing it rigorously (average speed cameras etc).

There is a reason that you will be banned from driving if caught doing 90, it is not safe to generally drive around at that speed nor courteous.
Why do you think the person flashing you because you were going too slow at 90 is any worse a driver than you.
Who are you to decide that 90 is a sensible speed but 95 is not ?

I quite like the idea of flexible limits dependant on road conditions, they have this system in France. Between 80 and 90 would be a reasonable max limit in good conditions. There should also be mimimum speed limits for motorway driving and the speed articulated lorries are allowed to travel at should be increased, particularly on A class roads, although transit style vans should be restricted to 70 in all cases rather than being subject to car limits.

Caravans should only be allowed on A class roads at certain times or be subject to the same road tax as HGV,s

I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Gary Newton is off-line
23 August 2013 08:28
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

Quote from stolenfaces
As your second point is not true, I presume the rest are rubbish too. Certainly road design and person design have not advanced much since 1965. Fuel economy is still pathetic at 90mph (I could make up a statistic if I was as cavalier with facts as you seem to be with driving.) - but you've got loads of money so wasting fuel is fine and macho. Personally I would be in favour of making the limit on motorways 80 in dry weather/ 70 in wet and then enforcing it rigorously (average speed cameras etc). There is a reason that you will be banned from driving if caught doing 90, it is not safe to generally drive around at that speed nor courteous. Why do you think the person flashing you because you were going too slow at 90 is any worse a driver than you. Who are you to decide that 90 is a sensible speed but 95 is not ?

I didn't realise this would stir up so many feelings. A tip Mr Stolenfaces, never Presume I've done that too many times in the past and it can come back and bite you in the arse really hard. 
You are correct road design and people design has not changed but cars have significantly. I could list lots of ways cars have changed but that would be boring, I'm sure you know anyway (your surely not that daft). As for fuel consumption my average since owning the car 39.7mpg, motorway driving is about 46mpg, not bad for 3lt diesel.

The car behind me was obviously a worse driver than me, he had 6ft breaking distance, I had nothing in front of me as far as I could see. As I said before, it's a shame we couldn't adopt German Autobahn laws

Neil Anderson is off-line
23 August 2013 10:24
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from oceanova
I didn't realise this would stir up so many feelings. A tip Mr Stolenfaces, never Presume I've done that too many times in the past and it can come back and bite you in the arse really hard. 

You are correct road design and people design has not changed but cars have significantly. I could list lots of ways cars have changed but that would be boring, I'm sure you know anyway (your surely not that daft). As for fuel consumption my average since owning the car 39.7mpg, motorway driving is about 46mpg, not bad for 3lt diesel.

The car behind me was obviously a worse driver than me, he had 6ft breaking distance, I had nothing in front of me as far as I could see. As I said before, it's a shame we couldn't adopt German Autobahn laws

Whatever makes you feel special is fine by me, just don't expect anyone to be impressed, most cars will do 90 nowadays, most people have airbags, most diesels do more than 40 mpg.
I only have a 2 litre diesel which will do 90 mph and normally gives me 47 mpg (because I stick to speed limits)
In the middle of the night on an empty dry motorway 90mph is probably a safe speed, when the motorway is busy and full of the poor drivers we all recognise, it almost certainly isn't safe.
I would be wary of admitting criminal activity on the Internet .....
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

23 August 2013 11:27
tocopubs
Photographer

Spooky this thread! I was only having this very discussion in the pub last night when I got back from a five-hour road trip which included that 40mph stretch outside Oxford mentioned earlier. Got to say my major point was I groaned every time I saw those four bloody rings on the grill encroaching fast in my rearview mirror...

EdT is off-line
23 August 2013 15:50
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from oceanova
I was waiting for a white knight to mount his steed and try to crucify me.

Stats say we have ony of the highest death rates in europe, yet we are still using archaic speed limits, it's funny how France Belgium and germany have lower death rates yet higher speed limits. They tried to up the limit a short while back

WOW!!!! I gave up reading when I got to that bit. I'd love to see where you get those statistics. By all the usual measurements (per million inhabitants, per car, and per billion passenger miles) the UK has the lowest death rates on the roads in Europe. France and Germany have just over the double of our rates and Belgium over three times our rate.

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa fashion29 Lusciousabi29 lynnesel pinklilly
ansonphotography bavister Camerawerks clarmike Dave@studio99 diphoto djb1 donaldmac edwards eosfan frankpht Images1854 jackw James7799 JohnDentonPhoto karlsheen nothingventured padzer1 peterh Photosareu read rscott360 sammylhel Steveh32 timbham tonypage urbano
luxstudios