Billing Models for No Shows

Picudio is off-lineSilver Member
18 August 2013 15:04
Picusio
Photographer
Picusio
Cheshire
Warrington

Has any photographer (or anyone else for that matter in the same position) billed a model for studio time (or any other costs incurred) in the event of a model not showing up for an agreed photo shoot?

I have found myself in the situation yet again where a model didn't show for an agreed shoot. No phone call, no text, no email, no apology. Just another no show statistic. Whilst this was a TF shoot, the studio hire cost is very real.

Would be interested to know of others experiences on this matter. Whilst the contract for the studio lies between me (not the model) and the studio, the model has a contract in the form of an agreement to turn up to do the shoot. No show by the model incurs me a cost (as well as an inconvenience), so should be passed back to the model, on a back to back contract basis.

Whilst there will be some people jumping to the defence of the model or models in general, and will also probably point out photographers can be just as bad, I think passing costs on would focus peoples minds to realise they cannot play at this.

Allan Marshall is off-line
18 August 2013 15:14
raven60
Photographer
raven60
Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi
I think you will find this has happened to most Photographers at some point. Maybe more common when it is a TFP planned shoot. Even if a studio has been booked. Depending on the studio concerned, if you explain the situation the owner may give you an IOU.
This happened to me, and the studio owner was ok about it. where I got an IOU.

As for the model, I fear all you can do is leave a bad reference. If arranged through a site like this. We all learn the hard way.

Good luck next time
Allan

OldMaster is off-line
18 August 2013 15:22
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Don't see anyone jumping to the defence of any totally unprofessional conduct. Any model/tog who behaves like this will probably be as dismissive of an "invoice" and unless you want to push it through small claims court you are probably wasting your time...

Just a "Blue Face" should do on the culprits profile and a short description of "No show and no reason given"..usually puts others off booking. This loss of reputation and income usually does the trick acting as a wake up call and a warning to others.

Although I know it is an understood agreement, its another lesson that TF/CD can easily be open to abuse...where there is no pay there is also less incentive to bother if something more attractive turns up. It also makes it difficult to invoice because there was no fee involved?

I think, particularly if you have booked a studio at your expense it is even more relevant not to try and cheapskate on the model...get a good one with a reputation and paying them would bring more security..it's an old adage of course but you do get what you pay for..or don't pay for!

The other benefit of working with an established model who can actually do the job is that you are likely to end up with better pictures which surely has to have a merit of its own?

Picudio is off-lineSilver Member
18 August 2013 15:28
Picusio
Photographer
Picusio
Cheshire
Warrington

Unfortunately I have had paid models not turn up before. It doesn't seem to matter paid or not, it seems to be some weird mentality certain individuals have, which frankly is disrespectful, ignorant and rude.

I was actually thinking invoice, wait for 30 days for payment, then pass to a debt collector if not. Would wake a few people up!

18 August 2013 16:34
JadedRed
Model

Why bother? Seems like wasting more time and effort for probably no return.

If you're doing TFP I would say it's just a risk you have to accept.

If you're being paid you can consider taking a deposit but again, whether that's even worth the effort will depend on your individual situation.

I've been cancelled on a million and one times over the years but I've never bothered to fight for compensation. If I did decide that's the way I wanted to go I would make sure I spelled that out BEFORE the shoot was booked, and not just decide afterwards.

There are other ways to manage your losses in such situations, hire two models for each shoot (making them aware of that obviously), don't put out a lot of money in advance for unknowns, work with experienced girls with good reputations, develop relationships with reliable local girls who can step in last minute.

I've had photographers tell me a model was looking a bit flaky and would I be able to fill in last minute if something came up, if the date was available and I didn't mind possibly ending up with a free day then I'd agree, sometimes they needed me, sometimes they didn't.

Neil Anderson is off-line
18 August 2013 16:35
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

You can't just invoice someone for the damages that you incur as a result of a breach of contract.
You have to sue her and let the court award damages.

If she doesn't have any money you will find yourself further out of pocket.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

ImperfectRose is off-lineSilver Member
18 August 2013 16:49
SoftGentle
Model
SoftGentle
Greater Manchester
Leigh

Id suggest you asking for half the fee. back. and i must admit most models would put laid before tf- altho she may not tell u thjs. i for one turn up to all paid or unpaid shoots. even if i am ill i brave it and do my job. goodluck for the future.

Eebijeebi is off-line
18 August 2013 16:49
eebijeebi
Photographer
eebijeebi
Essex
Brentwood

I believe the term is, 'Piddling into the wind'.

Kevin White is off-lineSilver Member
18 August 2013 16:54
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
Berkshire
Ascot

Whenever someone rants/posts about a "No Show" that has cost them money we usually get a few people suggesting that the culprit should be taken to court to enable costs to be recovered. Yet never heard of anyone doing so.

Hardly surprising. I have, thankfully, little experience of our legal system, but I believe that, at the very least, you will need the correct full name of the person (which, if you have contacted them through an internet modelling site you are unlikely to have) and their address (ditto). Yes there are ways of tracing people but all that is likely to do is cost you more money with no guarantee of success.

Frankly anybody who books a studio (or MUA etc) for a shoot (whether TF or paid) with anyone other than a 'proper' established model (with a long list of recommendations), is potentially asking for trouble. Either arrange your first shoot outside or somewhere that isn't going to cost you money if they don't show up.

Kevin White is off-lineSilver Member
19 August 2013 03:18
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
Berkshire
Ascot

Quote from SoftGentle
Id suggest you asking for half the fee. back.

This is an  equally useless suggestion. The OP has already said that she has stopped communicating in any shape, manner or form.  You really think she is going to suddenly respond to a request for money and pay him!

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin MissInk78 pinklilly SJH30
bogan browny7 Edphoto Fluffypup George99 Hazy martinchristie photostevo redtail RenedeHaan sammylhel Steveh32