Intention to quit modelling

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
17 August 2013 14:52
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

A very dramatic title I know. I just thought I should lay my cards down on the table on a thread rather than in my profile notes as I’ve been told they’re too long anyway! And I’ve been asked several times “Are you really quitting? All photographers know it’s just a marketing ploy” – ouch!

From October to mid June I’m planning on pretty much being a library and dance hermit. No shoots whatsoever as I absolutely need to get good grades (if you see me online tell me to bugger off back to my work!) then I’ll be in the big wide scary graduate world. I don’t think modeling looks great on a CV as you’re relying on the CV-reader being open minded and non-assuming. You think “model” and then many think “page 3” “tits, mmm” “stuck up/snobby” “Ooh maybe I can get with her” “airhead”.

Many from my last tour said they’d hope to see me back up again in Scotland, and I had to say I hope I didn’t see them again cos that means I’d be unemployed!! Eek. Job hunting takes up so much time especially if you want to spend a lot of time writing decent job applications and Bristol living is expensive.

Cross your fingers for me that I’ll get a 2.1 or higher and that I’ll land a job reasonably quickly! I don’t suppose I’ll ever truly quit and will continue to dip my toe in on the odd Saturday if I can be tempted.

I’m off to the states again next week – decided to make the most of the travelling opportunities modeling offers so that’s why you won’t be seeing my mug in any more UK portfolios this summer.

To those that have me on your Want to Work With List now would be the time to get in touch to add me to my email list of certain areas. If I do happen to travel next summer I’m probably going to tour the Ontario and Texas areas, and if I do give modeling a month more I’m most likely doing London and the north west I’ll probably leave my profile up as a gallery/museum of what life was like for me in 2011-2013!

John McNairn is off-line
17 August 2013 15:25
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
Tayside
Dundee

Good luck in everything you choose to do, personally I refuse to remove your name from my 'work with again' list.

All the best for the future :-)

Fox
Erica Von Stein - jealousy does manky things to people.

17 August 2013 15:34
martinphoto
Photographer

You are right - the labour market is deeply scary, and especially so for new graduates. I'm glad that I'm not in your shoes right now. It's difficult at all levels, but youth unemployment (or at least under 25) has never been higher. The best of success in your degree course, and in finding relevant and rewarding employment thereafter.

Remember though that "model" is just another form of "self-employed entrepreneur" so take the attributes adn skills from the time you spend NOT in front of the camera and emphasise those - logistics, marketing, book-keeping, networking, budget control etc. - all models do this when they are not modelling.

The same goes for your dancing - you are not just a ballroom dancer, you are the President of a significant organisation and are developing the management and business process skills that go with that.

Whatever you do, do NOT undersell yourself, others will do that for you - they are called HR Managers.
Cheers, Brian Delivering Excellence Always

17 August 2013 15:47
twentytwenty
Photographer

Been a while since I worked with you Janner, but all the best for the future, hope it all works out for you.

EdT is off-line
18 August 2013 06:37
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

You'll be at the top of my "Models I really wish I had worked with" list. (And came near to it once).

Robert Poole is off-line
18 August 2013 07:34
robCPS
Photographer

Essex
Wickford

I'm glad that I got to work with back in April, I wonder if Tim has got the reflector back in the case yet.
Very best wishes for whatever you do in the future. If anyone starts a thread "Best Models Ever" you know that you'll be there.

Rob

18 August 2013 08:09
Kalygulina
Model
This member has been reset to pending

Good luck for the future Jen!
You are and always will be a model I am truely jealous of. You are a fantastic model! And I hope you do still dabble where you can. Thankyou for being an inspiration!

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
18 August 2013 09:42
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

Your posting prompted me to look at your profile, - all I can say is WOW! I hope you have your own album of all these shots, you'll be able to look back at them with pride, - credit to the photographers of course but you're the one who basically created the image they took.

matt is a moderatorPlatinum Member
19 August 2013 11:40
matt
Peacemaker
matt
East Sussex
Brighton

I'll be sorry to see you go Jen, I hope it all works out for you in the future
If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.

Andrew Burton is off-line
19 August 2013 19:35
LEGENDACB
Photographer
LEGENDACB
East Yorkshire
Hull

Would be honoured to have the chance to work with you deffo 1 model i admire xxx
The quality of photography isnt how many images you take but rather how many times an image can take your breath away!

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pinklilly
chandos FirstLifePhotography Nunude steveh32