This thread is being watched by 1 person
Matt . is off-line
10 September 2013 07:25
MLP
Photographer

Nottinghamshire
Nr Nottingham

Quote from stolenfaces
Only if it's guaranteed to stay like that for a long time, and reasonable notice (6 months +) of any change is guaranteed in the contract - otherwise they have you over a barrel when they decide to introduce a new structure that works out at £20 or more a month.

Going forward this will be future of most software - look at MicroSoft intentions etc

---------------------------------------------- Images are not taken they are created

Neil Anderson is off-line
10 September 2013 07:44
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from MLP
Going forward this will be future of most software - look at MicroSoft intentions etc

Clearly it opens competitive opportunities for people who don't adopt this model.
The problem for the vendors is that most people don't need any new features, so are increasingly unwilling to upgrade to an expensive new(and normally with microsoft, bizarre interface, with essential features removed or hidden) version.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
11 September 2013 03:06
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

I wonder if OS developers will keep support for PS for a few revisions at least..
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

Matt . is off-line
11 September 2013 05:34
MLP
Photographer

Nottinghamshire
Nr Nottingham

Quote from stolenfaces
Clearly it opens competitive opportunities for people who don't adopt this model. The problem for the vendors is that most people don't need any new features, so are increasingly unwilling to upgrade to an expensive new(and normally with microsoft, bizarre interface, with essential features removed or hidden) version.

Going forward software changes will be as much to do with the advancement in technology, equipment, operating systems etc as it is with the changes in the software hence the ability to update almost daliy will allow software to keep pace

---------------------------------------------- Images are not taken they are created

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
11 September 2013 06:07
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

In some ways a subscription system would be better regarding continual updates. But that in itself is often steered by the developers.

Take AutoCAD for example, it's the best part of £4-5000 a seat and is often riddled with bugs. When they used to be on a two-year development cycle you'd get (say) a dozen hotfixes and one or two sevice packs over that two years and for a couple of years beyond that as bugs appeared. Over time they've made it so you have to upgrade every second version (rather than the last three or four) and they've also introduced a one year development cycle, not fun at the costs they charge for it. This has also meant that the updates are less frequent (if at all) and generally the new releases are effectively the bug fixes to the previous ones (much to the annoyance of the company I work for). And now they've announced that they too are going down the subscription route, which as things stand would be better as you'd get continual updates but I personally resent the way they've steered their customers towards this.

My main gripe (other than cost) is that with a subscription system you are probably not going to get major features added as often as you would otherwise have had via boxed versions.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
11 September 2013 07:27
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

For those interested in this offer, look closer as you have to already have CS3 or above to get it...............shame for those on CS2

Still a good deal for those that can take advantage of the offer (now don't go scouring ebay for old copies of CS3, not till I got mine anyway - smiley)

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
11 September 2013 07:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from EllessePhotography
 (now don't go scouring ebay for old copies of CS3, not till I got mine anyway - smiley)

Be VERY careful, I bought what I thought was a genuine CS3 some years ago (when CS4 was current).

It was boxed, seal-wrapped, had all the paperwork, stickers, codes etc. but turned out to be fake when I contacted Adobe regarding why it wouldn't register.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
12 September 2013 03:58
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Quote from RedChecker
Be VERY careful, I bought what I thought was a genuine CS3 some years ago (when CS4 was current).

It was boxed, seal-wrapped, had all the paperwork, stickers, codes etc. but turned out to be fake when I contacted Adobe regarding why it wouldn't register.

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, been there already.  Bought a "brand new sealed boxed" copy of cs5 for £180 last year.  Opened the box and thought "yes, it's a pressed disc so def not a copy" - wrong.  Got my money back easily though - and still have the boxed copy sitting in a cupboard somewhere, seller never asked for it back.

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
WestRockCareers
photofrank Shootonlocation snappytim