Reminder Secure

The solution to cancellations

Photo Symphonic is off-lineSilver Member
15 August 2013 10:45
geoff_janes
Photographer

London
London

Yet another cancellation today left me annoyed. Hence why I am writing here. However, there was a silver lining and a blogged a new article solving the problem! Enjoy!

What do you do when your Model doesn't turn up? wp.me/p2zQKg-d9

Feel free to add in some of the things you do when models don't show (preferably humorous to cheer me up)

15 August 2013 16:16
johnlp
Photographer

If it's at my home, I get on and do something else; washing up, read a book, kick the cat or go for a walk and take my camera with me, not before putting up a Blue Face of course.

If it's a location shoot, I take my boots, OS map, SATNAV and my camera, of course, and go for a walk, and then when I get home I put up a Blue Face. I have been known to take my mountain bike, and have cause to use it.

I've always found something of interest, and finding the perfect view of a valley, stream or wood makes me feel good and I'm many £s better off. And I reason I've then got extra money to spend on another model (and the model that cancelled/no showed was probably going to be crap anyway).

Always have something else in mind, just in case. The worse thing is to sit looking at the props and rearranged rooms that took an hour and more to organise. Pack it away and do something else.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
15 August 2013 16:56
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

If you value your time, pay the model and they're almost guaranteed to turn up.

That's OK, don't mention it.

15 August 2013 17:30
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from Andy_B
 pay the model and they're almost guaranteed to turn up.

Nope

100% of all my cancellations have been for paid shoots.

w4pictures is off-line
15 August 2013 17:42
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from johnlp
If it's at my home, I get on and do something else; washing up, read a book, kick the cat or go for a walk and take my camera with me, not before putting up a Blue Face of course.

If it's a location shoot, I take my boots, OS map, SATNAV and my camera, of course, and go for a walk, and then when I get home I put up a Blue Face. I have been known to take my mountain bike, and have cause to use it.

I've always found something of interest, and finding the perfect view of a valley, stream or wood makes me feel good and I'm many £s better off. And I reason I've then got extra money to spend on another model (and the model that cancelled/no showed was probably going to be crap anyway).

Always have something else in mind, just in case. The worse thing is to sit looking at the props and rearranged rooms that took an hour and more to organise. Pack it away and do something else.

One of the most sensible and positive posts I've ever read and a perfect endorsement of the back-up plan.

jivago Photographic is off-line
15 August 2013 18:08
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

See Andy B's post - And use a contract (or don't moan)
http://www.jivagophoto.com/

Gerry is off-line
15 August 2013 18:41
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Work with models that really want to shoot with you rather than just turn up and get some cash or images

Work with models who value their reputation for reliability

Walk away rather than try and haggle the models to a point they have lost interest in the shoot

Book a longer shoot so the travelling becomes less of a chore in comparison to the shoot time

Have an alternative plan if they don't show

Don't incur other liabilities eg studio time / fees - it creates extra stress

Don't post threads complaining about no shows all the time, or write it on your port notes - it can be off-putting to serious models thereby increasing your proportion of less serious models

Do engage in proper pre shoot comms - not too much and not too little. That can sometimes give models cause to re-think

Try not to book something to unusual for the model that gives them a chance to have second thoughts

Avoid models with issues that may affect their reliability

Take up references with people who you trust

Seek out recommendations

Shoot something else as well for enjoyment so that you can still create without feeling such a loss
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Photo Symphonic is off-lineSilver Member
15 August 2013 19:46
geoff_janes
Photographer

London
London

I really can't be bothered with Trolls. But just quickly, this was a paid shoot, a well paid one, and if you read the blog post, it was not the fact that it was a cancellation which is fine, but the timeframe of it. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the results of the work I did with my MUA!

Ron Williams is off-lineSilver Member
16 August 2013 06:03
RonA
Photographer
RonA
Kent
Bexley

Well done you

Cody is off-lineSilver Member
16 August 2013 16:04
Cody
Model
Cody
Oxfordshire
bicester

Try me at short notice

18 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin
AaronKent bengie djb1 evopro Kjoservices Ladiesman mlp philippahh robhillphoto skymouse Snooper911 stevegosh Steveh32 Thunder_Photos TinDolls will_i_am
barlowstudios