you did what???? weird and whacky ways to create a shot

Jenelle_James is off-line
13 August 2013 12:53
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

;"> First of all....howdy dooo....ive been away from purestorm for a few months but back to it now with a fresh subscription and thought id ramble on somethin that could be interesting and maybe useful to others....

I'm just curious as to how many photographers(and models) have used a prop or simple round the house items to help create a shot that looks like its been done with the help of equipment worth thousands. As a struggling photographer in the early days who couldnt rub 2 pennies together there was no way in hell i could create what i wanted without spending £200 here and £500 there on bits of lighting, lenses and other accessories and i got so frustrated one day knowing what kind of shot i wanted and couldnt get it as the light for me was too spread out i wanted it more direct.....i had 1 light and the dish on it just wasnt cutting it.......wow is that a pizza box over there.....and thats what i used to get the shot i wanted, a taped pizza box around the light acted as a set of barn doors for me. i was eyeballing and envying all these bowens kits with softboxes of different shapes and sizes and knowing i had no money i had to get created with everyday objects....as i managed to save money and buy my first lighting kit which came with softboxes i have to say things are much better, but i still find myself using items from the home to help with lighting because im still too broke to add to the lighting kit and upgrade. The image below is one i did late last week, i've been wanting strip lights for so long and really wanted images using the effect, the softboxes i have we certainly too big to pull off the idea of shadowing the mid section and racked my brain to figure out how to turn my softboxes into a set of strip lights......so i just used a bin bag on each light and draped it over halfway.....bingo!

;">

;">  

;"> As for the home, to be honest i dont have a flash house, im in a standard terraced half decorated, in a case like this u have to make the most of what u got and use a little imagination, with the image below i found 2 wardrobe doors knocking around and i always love window shots so i figured why not combine the 2 together and i stood one door up in front of the window and i pretty much held the other one making it look open

;">

;">  

;"> and as for backdrops like the red and the purple in my port i simply use different coloured bed sheets and put them up on a blow up double mattress, i'd love to afford the paper backdrops but it aint happening.

;"> so what do YOU use from around the house to create the lighting or effect u want that makes people think u have done it using "the right" equipment or setting?

;">  

;"> Tomorrow i think i may try something with the kitchen table on its side.....i have no idea what yet but its bound to be interesting

;">  

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
13 August 2013 13:01
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

This was my attempt at a window shoot.
The net curtain is held on using a garden cane, the bed is a blow up one from Lidl, the curtains are on my backdrop holder. The bedding are just sheets.

I think the effect looks ok though.

ChrisS is off-line
13 August 2013 13:11
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

This is the photographers version of Channel 4s SuperScrimpers lol

I like the ideas, they're innovative and creative.

Jenelle_James is off-line
13 August 2013 13:37
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

Haha maybe so...but either way however a shot is created be it with all the equipment in the world or pieces of cardboard....as long as it works and the end result is what the creator wanted then i guess its win win....imagination is a cracker

Quote from TheChrisS
This is the photographers version of Channel 4s SuperScrimpers lol I like the ideas, they're innovative and creative.

Robert Barber is off-line
13 August 2013 16:21
Robbie4bar3
Photographer

County Durham
Newton Aycliffe

The photographer Nigel Holmes used to have a website where he taught glamour photography and he used to use all sorts and teh images he got were great. I think the images that have been created by yourself are great and i wouldnt have guessed how you had done them. Well done

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ansonphotography Cheshunt83 chrisfrancis18 James7799 JohnDentonPhoto johnmphoto Kjoservices KrissB Look_Sharp MIB philippahh redbaron Reynard shadowtime74 soulc steveh32 tms tucker217 Willjamieson