Reminder Secure

Firewoman Clare Louise gets sacked

This thread is being watched by 1 person
12 August 2013 15:22
johnlp
Photographer

"A fire service volunteer has been axed after posing in her uniform for a "smoking-hot" photo-shoot.

Clare Deloughrey, 26, was pictured slipping out of her kit in snaps on a photographer's website.

But some of the photos showed the logo of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) - and got the bosses hot under the collar who decided the images did not fit in with their "brand"."

OK, she was obviously silly not covering up the logos, but shouldn't the photographer have had a bit more nouse and warned her of the possible consequences?  Having said that she'll probably be offered any number of bookings in the short term.

Ian Cartwright is off-line
12 August 2013 16:45
Snappercartier
Photographer
Snappercartier
Cheshire
Cheadle

John,
As the photographer you describe as lacking in "nouse", I did not think they could sack her for this. Their beef was that they weren't consulted, (and presumably paid) for the commercial use of their "brand". The whole point of the shoot was to illustrate a passion in her life, and without the fire service badges, she was coming home with a dirty face wearing a plain anorak and a fleece. The model was not paid and my project was speculative, so the use could not be described as commercial. They had to dig deep to see the images at all. They were not shown beyond my website: www.dontwelookgoodwithoutclothes.com (which has crashed with all the traffic, by the way).
I have to find a theme for each person who volunteers for my "Liberated" book project, and I like to tell a story. This seemed like a good idea at the time. I don't think it was that much of a passion really, knowing how she has reacted to her sacking. As you say, she might benefit from the publicity.
Ian Cartwright
Caramel Photography
Vastly experienced professional photographer

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
12 August 2013 17:00
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

I think you hit the nail on the head when you state that "They had to dig deep to see the images at all". One wonders when and why these Fire Service officers were looking at your website, the nature of which is clearly obvious from it's title. If they were looking at your website in duty time perhaps THEY TOO ought to be sacked!

jivago Photographic is off-line
12 August 2013 19:21
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

It is a fact, that most employers will have a term within their contract and codes of conduct, that seeks to prevent the employee bringing the employer into 'disrepute' - Whatever that means? Notwithstanding our liberal values - It is the employer's contractual prerogative.

Although I love the concept as desribed, I am afraid that I agree, that the photographer (and the model) should have been aware of this:- It is a general reality of employment contracts.

A lesson for all models - Be careful!
http://www.jivagophoto.com/

ken george is off-line
13 August 2013 06:44
kgp
Photographer
kgp
Clwyd
N.Wales & Merseyside

Quote from jivago
It is a fact, that most employers will have a term within their contract and codes of conduct, that seeks to prevent the employee bringing the employer into 'disrepute' - Whatever that means? Notwithstanding our liberal values - It is the employer's contractual prerogative.

Although I love the concept as desribed, I am afraid that I agree, that the photographer (and the model) should have been aware of this:- It is a general reality of employment contracts.

A lesson for all models - Be careful!

+1 I seem to spend more time getting permissions from local authority's etc than I do on the actual photoshoot's

Paul Cox is off-line
14 August 2013 13:03
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

I keep seeing this reported as a firewoman being sacked for being a model. She isn't a firewoman she was a volunteer. She was also unpaid as a model. It's a bit like saying a surgeon has been sacked for being a model only to find the volunteer who makes the tea has been sacked for some dodgy snaps. Maybe if she hadn't emphasised her fire brigade connections she would still be volunteering.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
14 August 2013 13:09
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

People must be careful with what they post on the net.

IT is not the first time that this has happened.

It will happen again.

The clause in the contract is in most.

Photographers also need to be careful what they post if they have other jobs.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Moorlane is off-line
15 August 2013 12:48
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

The photographer should have been aware of the possible problems and advised the model. I do feel sorry for her and felt that a ticking off would have been better...if she had bought the outfit from Ann Summers I assume that there would not have been a problem

rmsoansphotography is off-line
22 September 2013 07:33
digimarx
Photographer

London

Quote from johnlp

"A fire service volunteer has been axed after posing in her uniform for a "smoking-hot" photo-shoot.

Clare Deloughrey, 26, was pictured slipping out of her kit in snaps on a photographer's website.

But some of the photos showed the logo of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) - and got the bosses hot under the collar who decided the images did not fit in with their "brand"."

OK, she was obviously silly not covering up the logos, but shouldn't the photographer have had a bit more nouse and warned her of the possible consequences?  Having said that she'll probably be offered any number of bookings in the short term.

Photographers could of had the nouse, but if its a paid job to the photographer, would you say that?

Plus some photographers are clueless as to the consequences of what would happened if the model posed nude or semi nude in their work uniform, plus it should be the model's "nouse" as to what would happen if they posed in that manner. I've so many models say to me, not that I've asked, that they don't do certain poses "because they have a contract" with so and so, saying they can't do adult work or something of this nature. So if those models know, so should the model in question in the newspaper article should of known

Chrissie Red is off-line
22 September 2013 09:46
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from digimarx

Plus some photographers are clueless as to the consequences of what would happened if the model posed nude or semi nude in their work uniform.

That is VERY true, A friend of mine who modelled (non nude) was also a lollypop lady and she was asked a couple of times to pose in her working uniform. If photographers were shooting her from home her uniform was one of the first things they spotted and "zoned" in on. Its quite difficult saying "no" when somebody is being persistant and you are wanting to keep them happy.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
joann2
abouncer cygnet photofrank Steveh32