Reminder Secure

Portfolio Review

Maddawg is off-line
04 August 2013 10:14
pmeswani
Photographer
pmeswani
London

A review would be much appreciated. Honest feedback welcomed.

Ian Wilson is off-line
05 August 2013 16:23
Ian_Wilson
Photographer
Ian_Wilson
Greater Manchester
St Helens

Ok, I hate to see an unanswered request for help.

The 2 things I would suggest you focus on areyour lighting and maybe spend a bit more time on post-processing.

I am not a great one for photoshop, but some of your images look to me like you haven't done any post work at all - not even basic stuff like blemishes removed, contrast boost etc.

As far as lighting is concerned your location images tend to be a bit flat and could benefit from some flash or more dramatic lighting to add some separation or shadows or depth. Generally your images look to lack contrast and punch on my screen - have you calibrated your screen? Have a look at www.strobist.com if you feel you need somewhere to get some easy to digest snippets on lighting in theory and practice.

Apologies if that is not what you wanted to hear, but it is intended as constructive criticism.

I am good at dispensing sound advice...but it's 99% sound and 1% advice

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
05 August 2013 18:40
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

First, you have an excellent eye for selecting models, they are all super girls. I find, personally reacting to the pics, that they are often slightly awkward, the moment not quite realised - the pic of Joss and Katy in suspension for example feels a little awkward and gives an impression of an idea being tried out but not quite there yet, the technique and poses and props not yet perfected, the magic moment not quite materialising. Often this comes down to being satisfied to early in the process when your soul knows it's not there yet but your mind says "that will do, we tried didn't we, the girls are getting bored and my back hurts" ... There is a strong concept in lots of the pictures, an artistic imagination, so it is only a question of working on all the elements that go into going from a great concept and a great model into a great image . These include light, angle, pose, flow of communication with the models, being in charge of the shoot (because you can see the picture in your mind and viewfinder, the model can only imagine what it looks like), creating an ambience and capturing the moment on film when you have created it in front of you.

The Ivory Flame pics are lovely, and the Anita, and the January fashion pics of that lovely unidentified girl, whereas for example the hoop pics are weaker - Joss looks very awkward like her legs well split, the Lyra one is off centre and not balanced. In general, my humble opinion, your fashion / clothed / outdoors / set work is cool, but your nudes / low key / plain background ones need work. They are a more difficult subject to pull off because it's just your unadorned photographic technique on show, nothing to distract the viewer.

I'd never ask for a port review by the way, partly because I only put random old pics on here as it's mainly a site for models to be selected, but also because I have my own opinion and don't really seek the thoughts of glamour / girlie photographers about my work which may not be intended to please that particular section of the public. So this is very much just my random opinion and the important thing is what you feel about your work.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
dbturner Jo80 Littlemiss01 Looby88 Winterlilly
AndyGStudios antoinewynn carshaltonkev dby47 diphoto dirkus dorrian George99 grahamr john_at_tina_spice JohnDentonPhoto Kjoservices Ladiesman Omalley panda49 Rob77 scottmcccxiv Sp_digital Spiritofwales stevegosh Steveh32 Thunder_Photos