Reminder Secure

What do photographers look for in a home shoot?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
01 August 2013 15:10
jessicard
Model

Hi guys,

Have recently moved - again! - and am considering the option of offering home shoots again from my flat in north London. It's crazily accessible as the tube station is directly opposite my front door, bright and airy but I'm not sure what photographers would want in regards of sets or backdrops etc etc. I'm limited for space and wondering if its worth it.

Thanks

Jaye
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

01 August 2013 15:43
ScottishGeek
Photographer

I've done a couple of home shoots. What I personally look for is neutral colours, uncluttered rooms with any distractions easily moved out of the way. I also check out parking as, due to the amount of kit i drag along, travelling by public transport wouldn't really work for me. Plenty of natural light is a bonus as is the act that the model can't use the excuse that they forgot to bring something along lol.
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson

ato is off-line
01 August 2013 16:04
atumeda
Photographer

Lothian

a tall fridge, or a broken short one

01 August 2013 17:09
jessicard
Model

Ah - didnt even think of parking! That's a good point there is absolutely none close to me as am on a very busy main road
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
01 August 2013 18:33
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Clean, bright, not too cluttered, no distracting backgrounds.

I can't see the point of backdrops in that context... if you want a studio look, use a studio - I like the 'lifestyle' feel of a house, and you get a more real look than a room set in a studio.

It's essential to have a fully portable studio kit if you live in a city - so public transport isn't a problem for me.

fleeting glimpses is off-lineSilver Member
01 August 2013 20:17
camerawerks
Photographer
camerawerks
Essex

For me,one of the reasons for shooting at model's homes is the "lifestyle" look so studio style backdrops would be of no interest to me. Ideally, it should have the "lived in" look that most studio room sets don't replicate very well but it should be reasonably tidy and uncluttered and have several shooting options.

Like others, I need to bring some quite bulky equipment to home shoots so parking is a major issue.
Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
02 August 2013 02:39
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Clean, tidy, no items in the background ruining shots such as shopping bags, underwear, clothes, shoes, ironing boards etc.

I would also like a clean and tidy Kitchen and Bathroom to shoot in.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Will is off-line
02 August 2013 03:06
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

London and parking is quite an issue generally, also the congestion charge. The London Evening Standard of Wednesday had an article about people renting out their driveway or other spaces illegally but very lucratively.

I have taken a lighting rig ( not speedlights, 600 w/s heads ) and a Lastolite HiLight plus camera gear and backup by local public transport. I would not dream of doing so on London trains / buses. The Hilite would be too much of a problem for the other passengers. Taking a few flash heads and modifiers, no problem.

To me, if it is a home location photosession then I'd be looking for home based scenes, not a studio style background ( says th person who's lounge is a studio ! ). In which case, as others have said, clean and uncluttered with some interesting furniture / features.
Where there's a Will, there's a way.

02 August 2013 03:50
Socialdisaster
Photographer

The ability to clear a space large enough to either put up a backdrop or take a decent 3/4 - full shot of the model standing.

As part of this: nice walls.

Other things: nice furniture. A good chair.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

02 August 2013 04:35
Eyepi
Photographer

Personally, if I book a home shoot it's because I want the natural 'home' look.

In London there are plenty of studios so, as was mentioned, if I want to shoot that sort of thing I will book one.

It then comes down to availability of natural light and what interesting / subtle settings can be created. A plain wall and a radiator isn't much interest to me, but even an unusual-looking blanket on a sofa can be good.

Relatively clean and tidy is good too.

Parking is definitely an issue given the amount of kit you have to cart around on the tube, but it is by no means a deal-breaker for me. Plus most residents' parking areas are still free in the evening and sometimes weekends so that could be an option too.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angeleyes777
Fluffypup Happysnappyj Rhadamanthus timwalton42