D70s high sync triggers.

Chris Corbin is off-line
29 July 2013 10:18
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Hampshire
New Milton

Hi all, i've just bought a D70s so i can have faster sync to control the ambient. I can sync up to 1/8000 with a PC cord & 1/640 with Yongnuo CTR-301P triggers & i'm just wondering if i can get faster with different triggers?

Any help would be appreciated, Chris.
There is a chance that everything I just said is complete bollocks

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
29 July 2013 11:14
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Ultimately isn't it the cameras set high sync speed that's the key and the trigger that can relay that command?

OldMaster is off-line
29 July 2013 11:42
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Possibly but it will be more expensive? You will have to check the delays with other manufacturers. The alternative is to find out if you can trigger it in SU4 infrared mode..but you will have to check that too!!

Sorry, not much use but it would seem your safest approach is a physical connection. Not sure why you would want to synch at 1/4000? If its limited DOF you can get around the issue with ND filters on the camera and lowest iso settings and if its "time lapse" you have the RPT function on the Speedlights.

Chris Corbin is off-line
29 July 2013 12:45
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Hampshire
New Milton

Quote from OldMaster
Possibly but it will be more expensive? You will have to check the delays with other manufacturers. The alternative is to find out if you can trigger it in SU4 infrared mode..but you will have to check that too!! Sorry, not much use but it would seem your safest approach is a physical connection. Not sure why you would want to synch at 1/4000? If its limited DOF you can get around the issue with ND filters on the camera and lowest iso settings and if its "time lapse" you have the RPT function on the Speedlights.

I am just trying to get more control of the ambient when using flash because 'high speed sync' (FP) eats so much flash power. If possible i would like to work without PC cable but i guess it should be ok as i won't be doing it every day. Using this camera instead of my D90 has already let me sync with my triggers from 1/125 to 1/640 in manual with the ttl pins covered. I just wonder if more modern triggers would allow for faster sync. As for ND filters, i guess i've never got my head around them blocking ambient light & not the same amount of flash light.

i've probably got things arse about face so please feel free to put me on the right track frown

Strober is off-line
30 July 2013 15:37
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Cheshire
Manchester

Pixel Kings can sync up to 8000 a sec, mine sync with my d90 at 4000 a sec as my d90 can only shoot 4000 a sec at it's maximum .
www.strober.co.uk

Chris Corbin is off-line
30 July 2013 16:48
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Hampshire
New Milton

Cheers Strober

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
31 July 2013 02:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

You may want to look at Pocket Wizard's MiniTT1 trigger as it supports what they call Hypersync which is intended for grabbing the full power of a flash at higher sync speeds (rather than taking a slice of the flash's output).

This works by latching the trigger signal onto the camera's TTL preflash signal and you adjust the delay in 1000ths of a second to effectively synchronise your camera to the flash (rather than the flash to the camera).

Do check the Nikon version of the MiniTT1 supports this though, it works fine on my Canon one.

Note: you use a MiniTT1 as the transmitter for generic PW triggers as receievers (eg. Plus II and Multimax triggers)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Chris Corbin is off-line
31 July 2013 08:31
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Hampshire
New Milton

Thanks Red.

Doug Ross is off-line
01 September 2013 08:14
DougRossPhotographic
Photographer
DougRossPhotographic
Central
Falkirk

At the camera tech end, Ken Rockwell writes in respect of the D70 series flash sync speed:

"Nikon has done the world a great favor in the D1, D1X, D1H and D70 cameras by adding an electronic shutter to take care of the faster speeds. By doing this the sync speed becomes unlimited. The only reason the D1, D1X and D1H (and for all I know the D70) limit the speed to 1/500 is because of the loss of efficiency above that speed for shoe mounted flash."

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Doug
Smile.......'Today is the first day of the rest of your life!'

Chris Corbin is off-line
01 September 2013 08:37
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Hampshire
New Milton

Thanks Doug.

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Asian_amy_Latina
Cheshunt83 Dave@studio99 eosfan jyp nicholas_ainsley Vinceb