Reminder Secure

Photographer's Age

Jamie Craig is off-lineSilver Member
25 July 2013 09:11
JamieCraigPhoto
Photographer

Kent

I'm 21.

I'm a professional photographer, I make a good income yet my age seems to make me seem less professional?

Some think I'm just a student, others think I can't be any good, other's think I may just be a GWC.

I mainly shoot fashion and fine art, I also assist in the teaching of photographic make up. I do many printed glamour shoots and almost every model says, "but you're not 50?!"

Are most glamour photographers 50?!

Megan Reynolds is off-line
25 July 2013 09:30
LadylikeMedia
Photographer
LadylikeMedia
Bristol
Bristol

I'm 26 and have been doing it for 5 years...

25 July 2013 09:37
Webbo2
Photographer

I'm a young photographer, and whilst I have had the odd comment about my age I just get on with it and let my photos do the talking, and very often use it as a topic of light banter during a shoot. I feel like the fact that I am a similar age as some models can be an advantage as far as relating to them, eg finding that we were at the same college at the same time but didn't know each other back then etc. just go with it.
EYUP!

25 July 2013 09:39
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from JamieCraigPhoto
I'm 21....... and almost every model says, "but you're not 50?!"

I'm 50 and no model ever says to me, "But you're only 21!"

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
25 July 2013 15:04
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

A young model said of me to her mid 50's Dad.

"He's old, but not as old as you" I'm 48 but look months younger
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

25 July 2013 15:08
Socialdisaster
Photographer

To be quite honest, I very rarely see a photographer on these sites who is under 30 and any good. Ladylikemedia is one of those rare ones.

Like many careers, the fact is that the older you get, very often the better you get.

Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Rich G is off-line
25 July 2013 15:48
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

I've never understood some people's obsession with age. The only time I check a model's age is if she looks very young and I need to confirm she's over 18. There are so many people who look considerably younger or older than they are that I find it irrelevant.

Last week when I asked a girl her age (no, it's not rude to do so as she's not obliged to answer!) she replied "How old do you want me to be?". Great answer I thought.
HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

Keith O is off-line
25 July 2013 15:58
Knockout
Photographer

Hampshire
Southampton

When I was 25, I read that no one under the age of 40 had ever taken a good photograph. Perhaps it's true

Harvey Gordon is off-line
25 July 2013 15:58
ziggypot
Photographer
ziggypot
London

Last week I was carrying a backpack and bag with camera gear on the tube and a guy in his 30's offered me his seat! When he saw the 'I will rip your throat out and feed it too you' look on my face he quickly added it is not about you, just all that stuff you are carrying. Be blessed you are young Jamie and enjoy it ...if people think you are too young they are probably just jealous

Cakemix is off-line
25 July 2013 17:57
LauraLily
Photographer
LauraLily
West Midlands
Birmingham

Yes, I get that ALL the time, especiallt at weddings! I'm 28 years old have been photographing full time for 6 years and people still seem to find it a problem - mind you I also look uite a bit younger. Combine it with being female also and it seems to be doubly problematic for some people!

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
jessicaliu1993 Just_Janine
AndyGStudios Aquarius JSP sct73