Reminder Secure

What is 1+2x3?

01 August 2013 04:14
pmeu
Photographer

‘ Describing this calculation as 'Mathmatics' ….. may be technically correct but ridiculously grandoise.’ … ‘Arithmetic describes the topic accurately, mathematics is broad enough to be inaccurate.’

The original statement by hhoa which you decided to correct was

‘1 + 2 x 3 = 7 due to the order of operations in mathematics as i learnt at school.
1 + 2 x 3 should be the same as 1 + (2 x 3). Brackets should be unnecessary’

In what sense is that made unclear, ridiculously grandiose or otherwise too broad as to be inaccurate by the use of the word mathematics rather than arithmetic?

Neil Anderson is off-line
01 August 2013 05:32
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from pmeu
‘ Describing this calculation as 'Mathmatics' ….. may be technically correct but ridiculously grandoise.’ … ‘Arithmetic describes the topic accurately, mathematics is broad enough to be inaccurate.’

The original statement by hhoa which you decided to correct was

‘1 + 2 x 3 = 7 due to the order of operations in mathematics as i learnt at school.
1 + 2 x 3 should be the same as 1 + (2 x 3). Brackets should be unnecessary’

In what sense is that made unclear, ridiculously grandiose or otherwise too broad as to be inaccurate by the use of the word mathematics rather than arithmetic?

It's a simple calculation, rather meaningless to 99% of people without any context. Context makes the answer obvious.
If you are in the one percent who think it is interesting in and of itself then by all means describe it as mathematics and rest assured that your refusal to use brackets is principled and worthwhile.

If you were a real mathemation you would be more interested in why some people would get the answer 9 when using a calculator.
Obviously the calculator is actually resolving the expression each time you hit an operator, thus the effect is to resolve the expression from left to right.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

01 August 2013 05:53
pmeu
Photographer

You are all over the place stolenfaces.

As it happens, I am actually a real mathematician/economist at a real proper top university.

I haven't ever said I wouldn't use the brackets. Where do I ever say or even hint that I wouldn't use brackets? I would argue that you really shouldn't have to use the brackets, but if it meant that somebody else trying to do the correct calculation was less likely to get it wrong then I would probably use the brackets. Just in fact as I sometimes use brackets to group conceptual components of a long equation when brackets aren't always needed. So I'm pragmatic about that. So there you go, that's my opinion on the matter ... clearly not the same as mantisphoto and much more in line with yours, but I hope I've conveyed that without having to resort to insults.

And I know exactly why the calculator gives the answer 9.

All that happened was you made an unnecessary and factually incorrect comment on a perfectly reasonable and correct post ... I just thought you'd be happy with the correction.

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bluelah danixhale NicoleLJWright pebbles40
ad360photo antoinewynn bbphotos chandos daremstar davemac feff flair_photography freddie GSC4X HarishPadalia James7799 johnnytog jskazza Kjoservices love modelboutique oscar Paul_Jones Platidonio ScottMCCCXIV Snapster stephenmuddell stevegosh Steveh32 Thunder_Photos TinDolls