Reminder Secure

What is 1+2x3?

Mantisphoto is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2013 08:50
mantisphoto
Photographer
mantisphoto
Birmingham

If the person writing down the equation has no understanding, then they are wrong, but somebody who applied BIDMAS correctly would always be correct.

Just because 1 person is wrong, it doesnt make both wrong, and I am NOT ignorant... quite the opposite... I am the one sharing factually correct information.

Neil Anderson is off-line
29 July 2013 09:07
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from mantisphoto
If the person writing down the equation has no understanding, then they are wrong, but somebody who applied BIDMAS correctly would always be correct.

Just because 1 person is wrong, it doesnt make both wrong, and I am NOT ignorant... quite the opposite... I am the one sharing factually correct information.

It's an expression or in the context of this thread 'a calculation', not an equation.

You claim to be aware that a large number of people would resolve the expression incorrectly, but still say that using brackets isn't necessary, indeed that they should be avoided.
I wouldn't have thought that was particularly ignorant just pig-headed.
Although, in a sense your lack of understanding of the real-world problem exactly mimics an ignorant and mechanical calculator which merely executes the arithmetic according to pre-programmed logic, with no intelligence at all.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

click_gotcha is off-line
29 July 2013 09:23
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from pmeu
Arithmetic is a branch of mathematics. So it is mathematics.

I have an O level in Maths.  I also have an O level in Arithmetic. 

Mantisphoto is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2013 09:40
mantisphoto
Photographer
mantisphoto
Birmingham

Just because somebody writes an expression down wrong, does not make my answer to the equation which is written down incorrect. Similarly to somebody using their or there or they're.... Incorrect usage does not alter the meaning and therefore correct answer.

If the person (correctly or incorrectly) writes 1 + 2 x 3 then the answer is ALWAYS = 7!! If said person actually mean to write (1 + 2) x 3 = (which would be 9) then it is their writing of said term that is incorrect, however I am answering what is written, so 7 would ALWAYS be correct, however many times you may argue otherwise.

The use of brackets to clarify meaning is only necessary when the meaning is anything other than the standard one.

Now, could somebody please find me the square root of  -36 ... this is where it gets fun!

Tony Stephenson is off-line
29 July 2013 10:35
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Interestingly, if those of you who are using Windows bring up the 'Standard' calculator and input 1 + 2 x 3 then the answer will be 9.
However if you bring up the calculator and select 'Scientific' and input the same expression, the answer comes up as '7'!

The latter must be one of those ignorant and mechanical calculators I have heard about!
www.le-femme.co.uk

EdT is off-line
30 July 2013 06:55
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from mantisphoto

The use of brackets to clarify meaning is only necessary when the meaning is anything other than the standard one.

Now, could somebody please find me the square root of  -36 ... this is where it gets fun!

If you know that a large part of the population knows nothing of BIDMAS is is quite likely to come up with the wrong answer, then the use of brackets to clarify meaning is a good idea whether or not the meaning is anything other than the standard one.

What's the fun of 6i (or even -6i)?

31 July 2013 04:18
pmeu
Photographer

Quote from click_gotcha
 I have an O level in Maths.  I also have an O level in Arithmetic. 

So would you argue that arithmetic is not mathematics?

Neil Anderson is off-line
31 July 2013 05:29
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Describing this calculation as 'Mathmatics' is like calling making a piece of toast , cooking.
It may be technically correct but ridiculously grandoise.

Arithmetic describes the topic accurately, mathematics is broad enough to be inaccurate.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

31 July 2013 06:05
pmeu
Photographer

But stolenface ... you said its not mathematics and it is. I would probably describe it myself as simple arithmetic but I wouldn't go around saying it isn't mathematics, because that would just be incorrect. But it is nice to see that even when you are factually incorrect you'll still argue.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
01 August 2013 00:58
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from stolenfaces
Describing this calculation as 'Mathmatics' is like calling making a piece of toast , cooking.
It may be technically correct but ridiculously grandoise.

Arithmetic describes the topic accurately, mathematics is broad enough to be inaccurate.

You're wrong Niel, tragically, terribly, terribly wrong.

From Wolfram Alpha:
"Arithmetic is the branch of mathematics dealing with integers or, more generally, numerical computation".

Calculators will internally change an arithmetic expression to rpn before calculating the result anyway.

Probably more pertinent to photographers is arithmetic of the form "how many models does it take to change a light bulb?"**

Though if you have a pertinent model to hand you will want to take pictures of her pert person rather than ask her to change a light bulb, or define branches of mathematics.

**The answer depends on the light bulb, also if you mean a half naked girl or an economic or theoretical model. Does qcd apply to girlie pictures? Yes of course, if you are using LED lights

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Ditzydee Emmaheron Michelledefeo1
Belemboo chasJ ElegantCaptures glamshots GSC4X jefflynne kai_kul kizer love nemesis Rhadamanthus skymouse Snooper911 stevegosh Steveharratt swalsh58 SyxStarr visions11