Suffolk
Halesworth

My calculator says "It's a boy...!!"

22 July 2013 18:19
pmeu
Photographer

Quote from stolenfaces

It's not mathematics - it's arithmetic

Arithmetic is a branch of mathematics. So it is mathematics.

EdT is off-line
28 July 2013 15:11
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from StreetModel
Now THAT one you'll have to explain because I bet very few people have HP calculators...

It's not just interesting for 1970s HP calculators (or sinclair for that matter). If you've ever written a compiler for just about any modern computer language (or any just aboay any computer language) you would have a good grasp of Reverse Polish Notation.

Street Model is off-line
28 July 2013 15:25
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

I remember the days of Cobol with phrases such as

'Add A to B giving C'

RPN calculators confuse the hell out of people that are not used to them, though... 'Hey - where is the equals button?'

It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

Mickey is off-line
29 July 2013 06:25
mikethefoto
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
mikethefoto
Worcestershire

Depends on whether you are buying or selling?

29 July 2013 08:28
Ron_H
Photographer

Depends where you put your brackets:
(1 + 2) x 3 = 9
1 + (2 x 3) = 7

Street Model is off-line
29 July 2013 08:35
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

Quote from Ron_H
Depends where you put your brackets: (1 + 2) x 3 = 9 1 + (2 x 3) = 7

I agree, but the question as asked has NO brackets - so what is the answer then?
It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

29 July 2013 09:04
Ron_H
Photographer

Quote from StreetModel
I agree, but the question as asked has NO brackets - so what is the answer then?

If you do it in your head the answer is obviously 9, but you cant give a definitive answer using a calculator as different calculators work it out differently. But as a mathematical equation you WOULD have brackets in one place or the other (for that very reason).

Mantisphoto is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2013 09:10
mantisphoto
Photographer
mantisphoto
Birmingham

Quote from Ron_H
If you do it in your head the answer is obviously 9, but you cant give a definitive answer using a calculator as different calculators work it out differently. But as a mathematical equation you WOULD have brackets in one place or the other (for that very reason).

No....... if YOU do it in your head its 9... but for those who understand BIDMAS like myself, when we do it in our heads we get 7!!

There is no need for brackets in this equation UNLESS you intend it to be (1+2) x 3 or 3(1+2) as it would be easier written. Mathematic equations are best in their simplest form, and 1 + 2 x 3 = 7 whether you write is like that or 1 + (2 x 3). 

Neil Anderson is off-line
29 July 2013 09:23
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from mantisphoto
No....... if YOU do it in your head its 9... but for those who understand BIDMAS like myself, when we do it in our heads we get 7!!

There is no need for brackets in this equation UNLESS you intend it to be (1+2) x 3 or 3(1+2) as it would be easier written. Mathematic equations are best in their simplest form, and 1 + 2 x 3 = 7 whether you write is like that or 1 + (2 x 3). 

So if the person who wrote down the expression doesn't understand BIDMAS you will have the wrong answer to the actual real-world question.
It takes two people to communicate - your attitude is rather similar to Britons abroad who just shout in the belief that people who don't understand English must surely be deaf.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
HazelAries Krystald rob452 winX
bernadinism bob casell clarmike cliffc eosfan ianscales Impression James7799 Johnathons johnnytog Kjoservices Lenz Lumen nemesis Nessie nunude ohkan pellium Steveharratt Thunder_Photos