Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
21 July 2013 15:12
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Quote from NATKINS
I hear what you're saying, but apparently a basic calculator and Nokia are wrong too...

cf. 'On my basic calculator, the answer is 9. On my Nokia phone in Portrait it is also 9'

Oh well, there goes my education - good job I'm a photographer...

Nick

A calculator is just a tool, you have to know how to operate it. A basic calculator can only work with two numbers at once - if the calculation has more then it's your job to enter them in the right order.

Saying the calculator is wrong is like blaming your car for being 'wrong' if you drive it the incorrect way up a one way street. It's not the car/calculator, it's the operator!!

Neil Anderson is off-line
21 July 2013 19:36
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from hhoa
1 + 2 x 3 = 7 due to the order of operations in mathematics as i learnt at school.
1 + 2 x 3 should be the same as 1 + (2 x 3). Brackets should be unnecessary.

It's not mathematics - it's arithmetic
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Qu is off-line
21 July 2013 20:34
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
London
London

Quote from stolenfaces

It's not mathematics - it's arithmetic

Thanks

Christopher Vian-Smith is off-lineSilver Member
22 July 2013 13:53
ChrisVS
Photographer
ChrisVS
London
London

Quote from Andy_B
A calculator is just a tool, you have to know how to operate it. A basic calculator can only work with two numbers at once - if the calculation has more then it's your job to enter them in the right order.

Saying the calculator is wrong is like blaming your car for being 'wrong' if you drive it the incorrect way up a one way street. It's not the car/calculator, it's the operator!!

Yup.... it's the operator.

You should have entered the calculation into the calculator thus (to force it to do the multiplication first, as it doesn't know what's coming next): 2 x 3 + 1

www.chrisvs.com

John Adrian Studios is off-line
22 July 2013 14:10
John_Adrian_Studios
Photographer
John_Adrian_Studios
Powys
Brecon

Er .............. did you all have a boring weekend then?
I had a shoot with a fabulous new model  -  after all, we are photographers, are we not?

sad

Mickey is off-line
22 July 2013 14:14
mikethefoto
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
mikethefoto
Worcestershire

Quote from stolenfaces
Clearly that's not true. Brackets clarify the expression, they are much more easily understood than the precedence of operators. In the real world the meaning of the expression would generally be clearer E.g I have one pound and can save 3 ponds a week so in two weeks time I will have 1 + (2x3) = £7 Or each week mum gives me £1 and dad gives me £2 so in 3 weeks I will have (1+2) x 3 = £9.

In a month you will have enough ponds to make a lake!

Tony Stephenson is off-line
22 July 2013 15:53
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Why not use Reverse Polish Notation - no parenthesis needed!
www.le-femme.co.uk

Street Model is off-line
22 July 2013 16:58
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

Quote from tonycsm
Why not use Reverse Polish Notation - no parenthesis needed!

Now THAT one you'll have to explain because I bet very few people have HP calculators...
It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

Tony Stephenson is off-line
22 July 2013 17:47
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from StreetModel
Now THAT one you'll have to explain because I bet very few people have HP calculators...

I'll leave you to look that one up as it takes a bit of explaining ... to be honest the last time I had anything to do with it was back in the 80's but it's a great concept if you're interested in mathematics!

Here's a link that will explain it probably better than me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

www.le-femme.co.uk

8 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Cgdublin firsttake grahamsphotography JSP just_lez Keithhendy Kjoservices Willy_O