What is 1+2x3?

Street Model is off-line
20 July 2013 09:12
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

On my basic calculator, the answer is 9. On my Nokia phone in Portrait it is also 9, but on my Nokia turned Landscape, it is 7. On my Samsung phone either way, it is also 7.

So which is right?
It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
20 July 2013 09:15
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

It's 7

You need to know maths to use a calculator... and multiplication has higher precedence in the expression than addition.

20 July 2013 09:38
Buddygb
Photographer

It's 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

B.
Currently seeking new and interesting TF collaborations. B.

Nick Atkins is off-lineGold Member
20 July 2013 09:47
NATKINS
Photographer
NATKINS
Oxfordshire

With proper notation the possibilities should be:

1+(2x3) = 7

(1+2)x3 = 9

QED 1+2x3 = 7 or 9 !!!

Nick
I've taken a vow of poverty - if you really want to annoy me, send money.

seanb is off-lineGold Member
20 July 2013 09:54
seanb
Photographer
seanb
Essex
Leigh on Sea

BODMAS to remember the order:

B - Brackets first
O - Order (exponent - i.e. squares, square roots)
D - Division
M - Multiplication
A - Addition
S - Subtraction

Technically it's BO(DM)(AS) as multiplication and division have the same precedence, as do addition and subtraction, but it's less catchy that way.

So the answer, as it's written, is 7.
http://www.seanbphotography.co.uk

20 July 2013 09:54
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Quote from NATKINS
With proper notation the possibilities should be: 1+(2x3) = 7 (1+2)x3 = 9 QED 1+2x3 = 7 or 9 !!! Nick

no

Rich G is off-line
20 July 2013 09:55
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

To get the answer 9, it would need to be written (1+2)x3 or, technically, 3(1+2).

As others have said, multiplication takes precedence over addition so the sum should be read as 1+(2x3).

That's your maths lesson over with for today Dave - as it's the weekend we won't set you homework!
HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

Anth is off-line
20 July 2013 09:57
1884photo
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Just forget about it! Get out in the sun! Or cloud! Depends what day you read this.

Street Model is off-line
20 July 2013 10:07
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

I am aware of BODMAS, but it worries me that some people doing important calculations are using basic calculators and others are using newer ones...

It reminds me of a rocket science problem which was attributed to a 'failed' probe deployment because one side (USA) were working in imperial and the other side (French, I think) were working in Metric - the net result was the probe was 'shot' from its position towards the planet rather than 'lightly floated'

It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

20 July 2013 10:11
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Quote from StreetModel
I am aware of BODMAS, but it worries me that some people doing important calculations are using basic calculators and others are using newer ones...

It's not about what the age of the calculator is. It's about knowing maths. If you don't know maths you will get it wrong. 

Most calculators tally a single operation at once. That will always give the wrong answer if the person using it types the '+' first.

Maybe we shouldn't let idiots do important calculations.

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa chosin RedXXX
63jian abouncer brendan cliffc djb1 donaldmac ellessephotography Fluffypup frankpht jackw jayfish jpegster keltica MIB mikebee nick34eh rembrandt Reynard rscott360 siclews steveh32 swalsh58 Willjamieson