Reminder Secure

Agency represented.

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
17 July 2013 05:23
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Some of the top models on hosting sites such as this who are viable part-time commercial models are represented by fairly good agencies who do actually get them work. For Commercial work an agency is essential. Although I doubt if there are half a dozen models on purestorm who fall into this catagory.

For a glamour model being represented by a proper agency in that field, say Girl Management or Samantha Bond, even if they get little work from them, does give them some credibility in that field and suggests they are competant, marketable and of a decent standard.

Most models who claim agency representation usually list "mickey mouse" agents, Supermodel etc, and are kind of clutching at the "agency represented" straw to gain some credibility, which in actual fact they don't need.

Looking at a model port I wouldn't be put off by a model claiming to be represented by a mickey mouse outfit, but I would be inclined to think "wannabee", so on balance I would say no agency is better than a comedy outfit.
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Kevin Wilson is off-lineSilver Member
17 July 2013 05:53
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Having noticed a beginner model state in her profile notes that her ambition was to be signed to an agency, was in part my reason for starting this topic.
My guess is she was overwhelmed  by approaches by  "mickey mouse" agents.

Katie Soze is off-line
17 July 2013 15:56
katiesoze
Photographer
katiesoze
South Yorkshire

It means nothing to me whether an agency signs a model or not, as I can see with my eyes whether I want to shoot someone or not.

18 July 2013 03:11
CYPhotographer
Photographer

It also is worth checking out which agency. I think its safe to say that you can generally tell by a models book the type of agency she/he claims to be with or not.

18 July 2013 04:59
Socialdisaster
Photographer

WHen I see the very common "Agency represented but not exclusive" I immediately think that the agency think the model is ok, not great because lets face it, if she was, she'd be exclusive and they'd want to own her.

Generally to me its the same as photographers who list their equipment. Pointless ego boosting bragging that actually makes them look daft

Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Peter Hague is off-line
18 July 2013 05:28
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from Socialdisaster
WHen I see the very common "Agency represented but not exclusive" I immediately think that the agency think the model is ok, not great because lets face it, if she was, she'd be exclusive and they'd want to own her.  

Although the tax man would argue that 'exclusive' would make her an employee, which would put the agency at a finacial disadvantage tax wise, as well as sick pay, holiday pay,  time off for breeding, etc.

Most agencies avoid exclusive contracts to avoid that minefield.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

22 July 2013 12:51
Honesty
Model
This member has been suspended

Quote from IainT

For a glamour model being represented by a proper agency in that field, say Girl Management or Samantha Bond, even if they get little work from them, does give them some credibility in that field and suggests they are competant, marketable and of a decent standard.

I'm represented by Walpole... I've been thinking of adding it to my portfolio for tentative photographers who've been burned from no-shows... Book me there, I can't no-show! Though if it gives me more credibility it couldn't hurt... often photographers seem to assume they're talking to a 20-something and patronize me horribly. I suspect having an agent would cut this down a tad too.

22 July 2013 12:54
Honesty
Model
This member has been suspended

Quote from PeterH
Although the tax man would argue that 'exclusive' would make her an employee, which would put the agency at a finacial disadvantage tax wise, as well as sick pay, holiday pay,  time off for breeding, etc.

Most agencies avoid exclusive contracts to avoid that minefield.

As well as most models... exclusive isn't the same as guaranteed work. In fact you tend to lose it if you're forever having to direct people to your agent, who then either takes a cut or charges on top..." Think all decent agencies and models have noticed that it all feeds the same river, and only increases business for both parties.

Natasha J Bella is off-linePlatinum Member
22 July 2013 18:20
NatashaJBella
Model
NatashaJBella
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Quote from jes
I'm represented by an agency but I don't feel the need to write it on my profile as It's irrelevant.  People can book me directly and they can see by my images if they'd like to work with me or not.

Same.

I'm happy with agency work which is irrelevant to bookings I make through Purestorm and such like.
Commercial bookings are very different to what I book for myself.
It makes no difference to me to mentioned it in my profile

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie danixhale fashion29 maria_dyl VickMur Winterlilly
bob22 Brianseye dave71 davidn GlasgowPhotographer gperl marty55uk Mattcairns MauricesImagery mike0048 plld ppalmer78 redmedia swalsh58 Vapourtrail wacTony
photo39