Agency represented.

Kevin Wilson is off-lineSilver Member
14 July 2013 15:09
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Is often seen in model's profiles, and I got to wondering ,just what bells it rings with different photographers.
Agency represented; what does it mean to you the photographer potentially booking this model ?
Are you immpressed ,more likely to book ?
Does it put you off thinking well if she is agency represented, this could cost me more ?
Do you laugh it off, "if you are agency represented and  the agency is any good why do you need to be on Purestorm" ? or  any other model contact site.
Or indeed any other thoughts or experiences on "agency represented " models.

Gerry is off-line
14 July 2013 15:21
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

If you have to book them through an agency, I would run a mile.

But there are models who's agency work pays more but is dull - like posing for catalogues, they shoot on sites like these [well more likely MM] for a more rewarding experience. Some are full time models but many actually do something else as well. Not everyone is raking it in with agencies, many just get the odd booking here and there

Those that are good enough to be full time with one of the top agencies are unlikely to even be allowed on here by their agency.

If they are signed to one, particularly if it is a half decent one, they might as well sell it as its pretty tough to get bookings and anything that says they have achieved more than wannabie must be an advantage.

Its no less laughable than the photographers who list all their qualifications and have dire ports, I tend to ignore it, but I do notice that some of the most popular models are agency signed, so I guess it doesn't put many off
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Kevin Wilson is off-lineSilver Member
14 July 2013 15:46
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Agree with most everything you say Gerry, would only take issue with.

" some of the most popular models are agency signed "

From many models that I encounter as a studio owner, most of these have become close friends.
tiinak 161 , klouise280, fizzy 169 , Miss Brook 178 , Lottie21 156 , Jes 123 April Paisley 72 over 15 months.
Numbers after name are Purestorm referals , no a single "agency represented" among them.

Gerry is off-line
14 July 2013 15:59
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Well, maybe its because I live nearer to London.

Some of the most popular models I have worked with are agency signed
Sarah Arnold
Elle Black
Scarlet Duggan
Katie G

Quite a few I have also worked with do agency work part time
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

15 July 2013 04:17
twentytwenty
Photographer

Seems to be a waste of time being agency represented. if the agency has very little paid work coming through the door in the first place.
A few agencies do run a top board, if a model can get Her name on that, then she stands a good chance of getting the work, Sadly for most, if there name is not there, then getting anything paid will pretty hard almost impossible, most will end up with their name on the agency books and get nothing in return.

Some of the best known models on here have been agency signed and walked away from it, due to a total lack of work, a few have taken control of their own modelling career, and they are getting the work from sites like this, but that's thanks to damn hard work and effort on their part.and nothing to do with agencies

Peter Hague is off-line
15 July 2013 05:32
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

It depends which agency their signed with. A decent real-world agency tells me they've at least managed to pass some fairly stringent quality control requirements, whereas an Uncle Bob bit-of-free-web-space-with-some-girls-pictures agency is of no consequence. I've seen girls in the past (mistakenly I assume) claim to be with "The Purestorm Agency".
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Keith Wells is off-lineSilver Member
16 July 2013 09:40
keithpics
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

As has been suggested, there are all sorts of different agencies around. The ones I would call good make sure their models get to the assignment on time, often providing transport and chaperone or at least arranging their models' transport right to the studio door. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but not excessively so, and you're unlikely to have a model not turn up. These agencies have a reputation to maintain and they look after their models and their clients. Getting onto to their books may not be that easy though.

Then again, there do seem to be agencies around who don't do much and aren't really much use to either model or photographer.

Cody is off-lineSilver Member
17 July 2013 03:32
Cody
Model
Cody
Oxfordshire
bicester

It is often a requirement in a casting so that's why I write it on my portfolio

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
17 July 2013 04:01
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from kerandastudio2
Agency represented; what does it mean to you the photographer potentially booking this model ?

It means the model might be prevented by the agency from working with my company because of our genres. You don't know till you ask.

Does it put you off thinking well if she is agency represented, this could cost me more ?

I specify the fee. We either reach an agreement or we don't. You don't know till you ask.

Do you laugh it off, "if you are agency represented and  the agency is any good why do you need to be on Purestorm" ? or  any other model contact site.

If I think the model is suitable for the job then I offer it to her.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Jesfish is off-line
17 July 2013 05:20
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

I'm represented by an agency but I don't feel the need to write it on my profile as It's irrelevant.  People can book me directly and they can see by my images if they'd like to work with me or not.

9 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
toniallcorn
andyritchie aprilscherz3 FirstLifePhotography Fluffypup George99 martinchristie minolta photofrank