Bit chuffed with my new IR camera

Razoir is off-line
12 July 2013 07:54
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Just sent a few shots to Protech taken on theD3200 they converted for me. They put them all up in their gallery and I must say I am pleased with how they look.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

si-mo is off-lineSilver Member
12 July 2013 08:53
si_mo
Photographer
si_mo
Switzerland

They did my D80 for me. Most of my favourite shots have been taken with it. There are a few in my port.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 July 2013 09:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

About how much was the conversion?

I've got two Canon 400D bodies (originally intended for 3D but I can't be arsed with the messing about associated with setting it up) and an 1100D body which are rarely, if ever used.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Razoir is off-line
12 July 2013 09:52
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Protech charged me £250 for the conversion plus £10 for return postage.
They are not VAT registered so no VAT reclaimable in that.
Turn round was about 2 weeks.
You need to chose your filter with care.
Mine is 720nm. but the do shorter wavelength ones as well. The shorter wavelength filters pass more colour. Mine, theoretically passes no colour but the camera generates some false colour from noise.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 July 2013 09:56
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from JeromeRazoir

Last time I looked at them there were three... std B&W, deep IR B&W and the colour one (which gives an alabaster ghostly effect on skin).  It'll probably be the colour one I'll go for as I'll find B&W too restrictive and it'll still be interesting for model shoots.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Razoir is off-line
12 July 2013 10:48
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Protech charged me £250 for the conversion plus £10 for return postage.
They are not VAT registered so no VAT reclaimable in that.
Turn round was about 2 weeks.
Mine is 720nm. but the do shorter wavelength ones as well. The shorter wavelength filters pass more colour. Mine, theoretically passes no colour but the camera generates some false colour from noise.

Razoir is off-line
12 July 2013 12:17
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

There are four. 590nm. 665nm. 720nm. 830nm.

The 720nm. is the one that most people would consider the standard IR. You get false colour.
830nm. gives a stronger black and white.
665nm. passes some colour.
590nm. passes a bit more colur.

All the colour in my images is false colour generated by camera noise. You can generate interesting false colour by messing about with levels and hue/sat. The most challenging aspect of it all is that apparent light levels do not give you an accurate idea of what you are going to get. Very small shifts of the camera angle, that would make little difference to your exposure if shooting normally, can give you a very marked change in exposure.

si-mo is off-lineSilver Member
12 July 2013 19:37
si_mo
Photographer
si_mo
Switzerland

Mines the 720 too, skin can be fantastic, but veins can be a pain.
Metering is tough, especially in mixed light. nothing a bit of trial and error can't fix though.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AriaRosee Exoticangel Leslegylegs Natalie120525 Winterlilly
brendan claypaws cliffc Den2018 diphoto Djanimation ellessephotography Hioctane Jskazza Kiboko Ladiesman mauricesimagery peterh Rscott360 stevegosh
harbourstudio
matt