Reminder Secure

What do you think of TFP Group Shoots? Good or Bad Things ?

Strober is off-line
30 June 2013 06:45
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Cheshire
Manchester

Hey everyone we had a very low turn out at the Manchester Group Shoot yesterday. But that did not stop us from enjoying our photography. If your interested then you can see my After Event Newsletter by following this link as it contains my fav images of the day.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2VXMezEjVs1NFpxWHJuckVwYmM/edit?usp=sharing

So because we had a low turnout then I would love to know what you all think about group shoots. For Example....

1) Does the weather stop you from wanting to attend events ?
2) Does the quality of the photographers stop you from attending events?
3) Does the lack of models stop you from attending events ? etc... etc.. so come one everyone share with us the pros and cons of TFP Group Shoots
www.strober.co.uk

30 June 2013 07:38
johnlp
Photographer

I can't think of anything more likely to depress me about photography, than being one of up to half a dozen photographers all trying to vie for the attention of a model, paid or TFP. I did a different sort of shoot yesterday, and 90% of the images were just great. I knew all of the people, which helps, but I controlled the shoot. In a normal art nude shoot I reckon on 30% being good and 10% being spot on. In a Group Shoot I'd anticipate 1% - 2% being useful. It might seem a cheap way of getting images of some lovely models, but the quality of the experience would be rock bottom.

As you might guess, it's just not for me.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
30 June 2013 08:05
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Group shoots are full of fail.

- No time to establish rapport with the model
- No time to style/change sets
- No time to modify lighting

So you learn little, and input little of your own creativity. Seems to be more for collectors.

Group TFP brings out many photographer's over inflated sense of entitlement, and seems to be a very bad deal for the model. TFP kind of works when a model gets to choose an individual photographer based on his/her demonstrated skill and quality of portfolio images. They stand a reasonable chance of getting something worthwhile in exchange for their time. Can't see how that works in a group if a bunch of randoms turn up and snap away in the same lighting and set for the whole session.

If you're going to club together and get a model to shoot, at least throw in a tenner each... miserable b******s!

Edit: I should add that I've been on a couple of (paid) group shoots. What I mainly got out of them was a useful opportunity to look around a new studio/meet a new model for not much money. Not great from a photographic experience point of view though, and no 'keepers' to speak of. 

The only group shoot I've been on that I found valuable was one of those 'spectaculars' occasionally self-organised by a group of people on NetModel. Great location, and a good group of people in that instance - but it was very far removed from the 'camera club' style group experience.

Strober is off-line
30 June 2013 08:21
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Cheshire
Manchester

Very constructive points you have made there you two fellas and here was me thinking that it may be down to things like

1) Having to pay for parking spaces.
2) Travel to location i.e. no train station, bus station etc...
3) Not liking other members of the group that may be attending etc...

But strongly have to agree about that point of not having enough time to set up you lighting.
www.strober.co.uk

Matt Harper is off-line
30 June 2013 08:22
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Never been one for all the reasons mentioned above. I say never, I went to one as a social thing, took a model to shoot and it was her condition that she wouldn't be shooting with anyone else.
If I am going to shoot a model, I want to have time to sort out what we both want, choose outfits, sort out lighting that I think will be right for the set we are going to do. I want it to be fun, not some sort of rate race to shoot this model and that model, then to rush home to be the first to post a shot from the day.
I am not tempted, as you can see.

On the other hand, if it was a small group and all models and photographers were happy to shoot with each other, it was agreed that organising sets was important, then I might be persuaded.

Razoir is off-line
30 June 2013 08:58
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

To what extent are the detractors above going on experience or expectation?

I fully understand the criticisms levelled at group shoots but my experience of them has been mostly very different. It very much depends on the organisation, which in turn addresses the issue of ratio of photographer to model.

I have never been to a GS where any photographer worked on a ratio other than one-to-one. In all cases the amount of time allocated for a paring allowed for considered and careful photography.

The King of the GS has to be the Cardiff GS for Charity. I attended all three. In each case there was a balance of models and photographers. The venue was very good. (A large pub on the Wharf in Cardiff Bay). There are plenty of location opportunities around the venue, within walking distance. The organiser (Martyn) arranged for various props to be available. One one shoot that was WW2 vehicles and fire-arms, on another it was custom painted Harleys and collectable cars.

In my view a GS CAN be a great day out and worthwhile for everyone who attends BUT it has tobe well organised and well thought out. I would never wastemy time going to a shoot (labelled GS or not) if I was to be part of a pack shooting one model. Those people who put together so-called 'model days' are wasting everyones' time, in my opinion. "Look guys, I will have So-And-So in my studio on Saturday and she will be taking her knickers off and you can all come and shoot her for a very reasonable £1,567 each, limited to only 319 photographers. Tesco dough-nuts provided", is not an attractive idea.

The thought of 100 models, 100 photographers, a good venue, an all day bar is a SOCIAL EVENT not to be missed. May IO suggest that there is a key. Go as a social thing rather than expecting to get great photographs. For networking and having a laugh, Cardiff and Brighton have been tops.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Paul Hodson is off-line
30 June 2013 11:35
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Yes - I have been to one which was well organised with a decent number of models and a "dance card" so that you worked one to one. Not the same as just turning up!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Star Shots is off-lineSilver Member
30 June 2013 11:38
Star_Shots
Photographer
Star_Shots
Northumberland
Blyth

I started to arrange group shoots last year after seeing some disastrous organisation of similar events. The emphasis has been on having a fun day out, networking and making some great images. Shoots have varied on attendance from 6 to 20 people with a healthy mix of models and photographers. I think the fact that we have so far had 14 group shoots, all in different locations and all have been attended well means for me they are a great way to shoot without worrying about costs etc. The models are always offered lifts there and back and nobody has said they didn't enjoy a good day out. I think they have a place in model/photographers diaries simply for the social aspect.

Strober is off-line
30 June 2013 12:19
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Cheshire
Manchester

Some of you guys have really gone deep here with some of your answers. Just letting you know that I am absorbing it all in as your posts are very help to help with regards to my better understand of GS
www.strober.co.uk

Spike is off-line
30 June 2013 15:11
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

Been on a few & organised a few with a dance card system, I found them a great way to test 6 - 8 models in a day, plus the locations were often ones I wouldn't have otherwise had access to. The idea of a random free for all doesn't apppeal.
Must admit found organising them a thankless task.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
jessicaliu1993
carshaltonkev Phiesta1