4:00 am model cancelation texts

EdT is off-line
04 July 2013 11:19
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from johnlp
1st shoot of the week. Model doesn't read the instructions on the casting or the text I sent her yesterday: "Woolwich Arsenal Station, it's on the DLR and the main line out of Charing Cross and London Bridge". She turns up at the "Arsenal" underground station on the Piccadilly Line.

If there were any chance of a muddle like that (2 stations with similar names) I would not rely on a text message to ensure that the instructions had been understood. Whether it was a model, photographer, member of family, business associate... I would want to be sure that the possibility of a mix up had been avoided.

05 July 2013 01:27
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from EdT
If there were any chance of a muddle like that (2 stations with similar names) I would not rely on a text message to ensure that the instructions had been understood. Whether it was a model, photographer, member of family, business associate... I would want to be sure that the possibility of a mix up had been avoided.

At some point you have to treat models as adults.  In the past I've offered to work out the best route from the models home area to my location, only to be rebuffed.  If a model is on a modelling site then she has access to the internet.  If she types in Woolwich Arsenal she'll find out where to go.  If she's unsure, she can ask.  If she needs her nose wiped, then she's not mature enough to be a model.

I was waiting for a "White Knight" to come along and suggest that whatever I did the fault would lie with me.  Congrates you're the winner.

After initially trying to claim that she had turned up, all be it in the wrong place, the model has subsequently offered me a "free" shoot to make up for the muck up.  We'll see if this is honoured.

EdT is off-line
05 July 2013 04:00
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from johnlp
At some point you have to treat models as adults.  In the past I've offered to work out the best route from the models home area to my location, only to be rebuffed.  If a model is on a modelling site then she has access to the internet.  If she types in Woolwich Arsenal she'll find out where to go.  If she's unsure, she can ask.  If she needs her nose wiped, then she's not mature enough to be a model.

I was waiting for a "White Knight" to come along and suggest that whatever I did the fault would lie with me.  Congrates you're the winner.

After initially trying to claim that she had turned up, all be it in the wrong place, the model has subsequently offered me a "free" shoot to make up for the muck up.  We'll see if this is honoured.

I hadn't realised that treating everyone as though they were idiots was called being a "White Knight". I learnt a long time ago that if a mistake could be made, someone would make it. In communicating instructions, I always make sure that the instruction is repeated back in some form to be sure that it has been understood.

It is not a question of wiping peoples noses or treating them like adults. Mistakes get made, so I find it best to make sure that the person has understood. If that means treating thgem like morons, so be it.

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
05 July 2013 04:29
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from johnlp
I was waiting for a "White Knight" to come along and suggest that whatever I did the fault would lie with me.

Do you really need a White Knight to tell you that you are at least partly at fault?

As you identified the potential for confusion at the beginning of last year, and have bleated about it several times since, one might have thought you would by now have ensured with all subsequent bookings that the model understood the potential problem before starting out. Effective two-way communication is not too hard to achieve in the 21st Century.

In future why don't you tell models to go to Woolwich Station? That way if they go to Woolwich Dockyard by mistake they wil only be 3/4 of a mile away.
Bob

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
05 July 2013 06:23
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Bob
Do you really need a White Knight to tell you that you are at least partly at fault?

As you identified the potential for confusion at the beginning of last year, and have bleated about it several times since, one might have thought you would by now have ensured with all subsequent bookings that the model understood the potential problem before starting out. Effective two-way communication is not too hard to achieve in the 21st Century.

In future why don't you tell models to go to Woolwich Station? That way if they go to Woolwich Dockyard by mistake they wil only be 3/4 of a mile away.
Bob

surprise
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

05 July 2013 09:05
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from Bob

As you identified the potential for confusion at the beginning of last year,

Bob

It's lovely to see people taking such an interest in me. Thanks Bob.  I'm surprised you didn't praise me for taking (someones?) advice and make sure I put all the details on the casting.  In future I'll hire a sign writing plane and they can follow the diections just by looking up.  Of course if it's a night shoot I'll arrange for a comet.  It seemed to have worked 2000 years ago.

But there you go, there are some people who are always holier than thou and ready to find fault in whatever you do. 

If they go to Woolwich Dockyard by mistake they're likely to be mugged before I get there.

Anyway I've had three fabulous shoots since, all found their way quite happily to the correct station and the correct exit, and one was a Polish girl who has spent only a limited amount of time in this country.

Toodle pip,

Emma_Willis is off-line
05 July 2013 09:17
emmawillis
Model
emmawillis
Blaenau Gwent
Ebbw Vale, Wales

Quote from johnlp
It's lovely to see people taking such an interest in me. Thanks Bob.  I'm surprised you didn't praise me for taking (someones?) advice and make sure I put all the details on the casting.  In future I'll hire a sign writing plane and they can follow the diections just by looking up.  Of course if it's a night shoot I'll arrange for a comet.  It seemed to have worked 2000 years ago.

Not taking sides, but this made me laugh

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Just_janine Littlemiss01
coturnix