Reminder Secure

Does being a photographer make you look differently at images?

HowardJ is off-line
22 June 2013 16:25
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Do you find that being a photographer makes you look differently at images?

Personally I find myself giving them a critical look for reflections of lights, bows at odd angles on lingerie, twists in stockings, twists in knickers, fluff or lose threads on clothes, scuffs on bottom of shoes, etc.

Maybe I'm just weird?

Tommy B is off-lineSilver Member
22 June 2013 16:42
Mr_Trompie
Photographer
Mr_Trompie
Alabama

I guess it does make me think a bit more, especially when the images have the word "sample" right across them

HowardJ is off-line
22 June 2013 16:47
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from Mr_Trompie
I guess it does make me think a bit more, especially when the images have the word "sample" right across them

Yeah, that annoys me too. I've not been able to figure out how to get that setting switched off on my camera. I can't find anything in the manual about it.

22 June 2013 16:52
Brian_Markie
Photographer

I don't even notice what the model is wearing half the time. All I do is make sure lighting n shadows correct, Exposure is sorted and final composition of what I'm trying to achieve.

Gerry is off-line
22 June 2013 16:55
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

As I have progressed, I have found it easier to articulate why I do or do not like a picture.

Often, lack lustre pictures have common failings and demonstrate either a lack of imagination, clumsy technique or laziness to learn what their tools are capable of.

Great pictures have a lot of soul, where imperfections sometimes add to the picture and often don't distract from it, so I am far more accepting of imperfections if the work shows imagination and appeal
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
22 June 2013 17:04
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

I'm another that looks at details in photographs.

I also feel I have to hold my tongue when looking at non photographers' pictures

CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

22 June 2013 18:16
skphoto
Photographer

Surely once you become aware of the technicalities you see stuff that the general public don't.

I watch films with a different eye, the most comical example being the Sharon Stone leg crossing scene in Basic Instinct, beautifully lit but most people weren't looking at the lighting!

Si

Andy is off-line
22 June 2013 18:55
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Im a brickie to trade, hav'nt worked at it in over 15 years but still find myself always looking at the bonds and quality in brickwork, i even sometimes say to the wife, look ! thats flemmish bond ! don't see that very often up here, or look! i built that house,garage etc
lets get shootin

Matthew G is off-line
22 June 2013 19:43
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from HowardJ

Personally I find myself giving them a critical look for reflections of lights, bows at odd angles on lingerie, twists in stockings, twists in knickers, fluff or lose threads on clothes, scuffs on bottom of shoes, etc.

Maybe I'm just weird?

How about door hinges? Are they ok? :-)

Strober is off-line
22 June 2013 20:28
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Cheshire
Manchester

Yep and when it comes to the adult stuff most guys are like wow... look at her and I'm like wow look at the DOF that they have used there, that has got to be a long focal length on a wide aperture etc..

Quote from HowardJ

Maybe I'm just weird?

www.strober.co.uk

11 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Just_Janine Krystald michelledefeo1 Welshrose2009
AhmedAshour Auctioneer BOBREEVES darimages dave@studio99 Lssm2 rscott360