Reminder Secure

Email replies....... or not, as the case is.

20 June 2013 19:04
PaulManuell
Photographer

How long after a model's opened your email requesting a shoot with them should you reasonably expect them to reply? How long after they've opened it and not replied should you assume they're not actually going to? What's the etiquette on sending a follow up email after they've opened but not replied to the first, asking again if they'd be interested in a shoot? Thank you.

Paul Cox is off-line
20 June 2013 21:19
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

If they don't reply this indicates they are not interested in working with you. Therefore unless there are particular circumstances where you think it would be helpful to send another email move on to someone else.

21 June 2013 00:27
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from paulcoxphotography
If they don't reply this indicates they are not interested in working with you. Therefore unless there are particular circumstances where you think it would be helpful to send another email move on to someone else.

Not necessarily true.  Several times I've sent follow up emails about a week after the first and shoots have resulted.  Often models are overwhelmed with emails, particularly if they are knew to modelling, and they may find it difficult sorting the wheat from the chaff.  A second email can't harm, and if the model ignores that one, you know where you stand.

Be patient.  A model I've worked with recently, regularly gets 80+ emails a DAY, from various sources.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 June 2013 01:16
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I've had replys a week later (paid work) even though they'd logged in several times in between.

I would never send a follow up email.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

EdT is off-line
21 June 2013 02:53
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from PaulManuell
How long after a model's opened your email requesting a shoot with them should you reasonably expect them to reply?

Only you can decide for yourself.

Quote from PaulManuell
How long after they've opened it and not replied should you assume they're not actually going to?

That's a decision that is entirely in your hands.

Quote from PaulManuell
What's the etiquette on sending a follow up email after they've opened but not replied to the first, asking again if they'd be interested in a shoot?

There is no rule of etiquette. You must decide what is acceptable for you.

OldMaster is off-line
21 June 2013 03:10
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Can't be bothered to reply...can't be bothered to work with them, because you know already this lack of manners will probably be taken to the shoot as well. Opinions may vary, but you must decide your criteria and working practices and how you judge the issue..?

Neil Anderson is off-line
21 June 2013 04:00
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

People's circumstances vary enormously. There are many reasons why someone may not reply immediately.
Whether models are busy modelling, in a daytime occupation, on holiday or just busy with friends and family they are more likely to reply if your job looks a serious prospect of earning money.

If you are offering paid work, you may find that a mail which sets out clearly what you are offering may get a quicker response, or a non-response may be a clearer rejection of your offer.

Remember that reading mails on smart phones is usually a lot easier than writing a long reply, and that organised models may want to check things like transport costs/times before replying.

Personally if the model's profile suggests that she is a beginner or wannabe I would be more inclined to take the non-reply as a warning and leave it; but with an apparently experienced and well referenced model I would be more likely to try a bump e-mail.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
21 June 2013 04:01
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from OldMaster
Can't be bothered to reply...can't be bothered to work with them

+1

Graham is off-lineSilver Member
21 June 2013 05:43
grahamsphotography
Photographer
grahamsphotography
West Sussex
Chichester

Quote from RedChecker
I've had replys a week later (paid work) even though they'd logged in several times in between. I would never send a follow up email.

Sometimes months for me.

21 June 2013 05:53
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from stolenfaces

if the model's profile suggests that she is a beginner or wannabe I would be more inclined to take the non-reply as a warning and leave it; but with an apparently experienced and well referenced model I would be more likely to try a bump e-mail.

Not sure which category she falls into tbh. She's been a member for 2 years, which suggests experience, but she hadn't logged in for 3 months until yesterday, which is when she opened my email. I'd actually sent that email back at the beginning of April. Maybe after such long inactivity she had a stack of emails waiting for her to wade through. But anyway, thank you everyone for all your replies and advice, much appreciated

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Claretberet danixhale ElleLaura Emmaheron Genevil hazel_rose LucasJacques missloulou
ad360photo antoinewynn Auctioneer bob22 digitizer frank4 GSC4X guitarman jwd1 Ladiesman MIB peterh rscott360 Snooper911 Steveh32 xposed