This thread is being watched by 1 person
Paul Jones is off-line
15 June 2013 13:13
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

New photography exhibition opening today at the Edinburgh City Art Centre. 

Condé Nast, the publisher of ‘Vogue’, has opened its archives to showcase the work of over 80 of the 20th century’s greatest fashion photographers in the exhibition entitled ‘Coming Into Fashion: A Century of Photography at Condé Nast.’

I've just added some information about it onto my site  - http://www.pauljones.org/?p=590

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
15 June 2013 13:38
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I went and saw this exhibition today, absolutely stunning, from the earliest images to the latest. All the TRULY iconic fashion images you would want to see. The other thing that struck me was how little Photoshop has contributed to great image making, as almost all the images are without manipulation, that 'in camera' techniques employed by people who really know what they are doing always have an edge.I bought the £30 catalogue to pour over at leisure (hard back £42). If you enjoy GREAT photography, not one merely 'good' image, they are all superb, go and see this exhibition.

Paul Jones is off-line
15 June 2013 13:58
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from magpie1
The other thing that struck me was how little Photoshop has contributed to great image making, as almost all the images are without manipulation, that 'in camera' techniques employed by people who really know what they are doing always have an edge.

Thanks for your reply.  I'm hoping to get to see it.

There was an interesting comment from Nathalie Herschdorfer, the curator, about manipulation:

“This project is about the history of fashion photography.  It also tells us about how women were represented and our perception of female beauty.  This hasn’t changed as much as we might think. Like today’s airbrushed, manipulated images, back in the 1920s the silhouettes were slimmed down, skin improved and noses tweaked. There’s nothing new about striving to create idealised images.”

Best regards
Paul

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
15 June 2013 14:11
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

My reference to the non necessity of image manipulation were my thoughts after seeing this exhibition are that superb, lighting, composition and exactly the right moment to make the exposure are primary, photocomposition, curve tweaking, etc, etc don't make images. Yes George Hurrell in his hollywood studio portraits worked on his 10x8 negs with pencils to improve the skin of film stars, the skin often 'wrecked' by the intense UV of the arc lamps they spent a lot of time under, but the starting image was excellent. Similarly the apparent simplicity of many of the images in this exhibition demonstrate how difficult simplicity is.

Paul Jones is off-line
15 June 2013 14:22
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Yes, I totally understand your sentiments.  cheeky

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alexcrawford simpleharmonicmotion