Yana is off-line
14 June 2013 13:56
YV2010
Photographer
YV2010
South Yorkshire
doncaster

hi everyone,

need a little bit of help, ive bought imac version 10.5.8  powerpc g5 what i want to know is can photoshop be downloaded on it or not?because everytime i try to download a trial then open it a little window comes up saying: you cant open the application because it is not supported on this architecture. please some one shine some light as am getting super stressed

thank you in advance 
"If you own an oven it does not make you a top chef" likewise, "if you own a camera, it does not make you a professional photographer".

Anthonygh is off-line
14 June 2013 13:59
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

The current version of PS requires an Intel processor...Powermacs don't have them. I believe CS3 is the last that will work on your computer.

Yana is off-line
14 June 2013 14:03
YV2010
Photographer
YV2010
South Yorkshire
doncaster

is there no way round it at all?
"If you own an oven it does not make you a top chef" likewise, "if you own a camera, it does not make you a professional photographer".

Anthonygh is off-line
14 June 2013 14:08
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

No.....the Powermac is an old system, but if you can find a s/h version of CS3 it will still give you a lot of options. But quite a few restrictions as well in that most updates and plug-ins won't work unfortunately. CS3 might not recognize your camera files either, depending on how old it is.

digineil is off-line
14 June 2013 14:09
digineil
Photographer
digineil
Staffordshire

Apple switched from Power PC  to Intel around 2006 so you have obtained a several year old Mac.   You could run a older version of Photoshop but you will not be able to run recent versions.

Yana is off-line
14 June 2013 14:14
YV2010
Photographer
YV2010
South Yorkshire
doncaster

oh dear must say then looks like this lil oldie will be going to my mums and ill have to fork out over a grand for updated mac is it worth all that money tho or should i just go for a simple pc?

Anthonygh is off-line
14 June 2013 14:19
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from YV2010
oh dear must say then looks like this lil oldie will be going to my mums and ill have to fork out over a grand for updated mac is it worth all that money tho or should i just go for a simple pc?

Depends on what you want really...if you are used to PCs then that might be the cheaper option. By the sounds of it you are a stranger to Macs, so that will be a jump into the unkown!! I have a Mac and wouldn't go back to PCs.......but some people will take the opposite viewpoint.

Anthonygh is off-line
14 June 2013 14:29
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

If you do decide on a Mac check out the Apple UK store.....they often have refurbs at 'reasonable' prices. My daughter is looking to buy a new Mac as we speak...as a university student she is entitled to something like 12% off so there are some discounts available to some groups of people.

Same with software.

Yana is off-line
14 June 2013 14:34
YV2010
Photographer
YV2010
South Yorkshire
doncaster

am use to using laptop but since that broke anything thats pc has let me down so when i saw mac thought ill try it, its lovely so easy to use but like u said am new to it and dont know where what is, but i only need it for editing really, its a lot to splash out but dont mind as long as it doesnt let me down as much as my laptop did

and thank you ill keep an eye on apple store

scubie is off-lineSilver Member
15 June 2013 09:04
scubie
Photographer
scubie
West Sussex
worthing

having spent most of this morning cursing Apple trying to  add things on to my ipad via itunes, I wouldn't touch anything to do with Apple. Elitist and and demands passwords even if you just want to type your name -- Yuk

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angeleyes777
Fluffypup Happysnappyj Rhadamanthus timwalton42