Reminder Secure

Popularity or talent - what do you pick?

10 June 2013 05:20
paulbatterbury
Photographer

Silly question I know, but looking over some of my work, I have shot some popular models and at times, they have just not preformed, and I have been disappointed when reflecting on the shoot at a later date.

There is a clear line between girls who are attractive and girls who are attractive and can model, and I would like to work with more of this latter type. Is it always nice to get a well-known face in to work with, but any notoriety in the glamour industry, is very short lived.   

Sadly so off those girls who are truly talented and attractive models do not last long, because they do not fill the requirements for middle shelf magazines.

I got a short list on my desk for models guy on one of my sites have selected, and the names are Carla Brown, Sophia Smith, Sarah Arnold and Natasha Kalashnikova, and these are hard working girls, especially Carla and Sophia who are very pro-active, and there work have proven to be more popular than other models I spent out on in the past and over accommodated.

So anyone else got any names or found the same?
Kind Regards Paul http://www.paul-batterbury.com

10 June 2013 06:22
1919_Images
Photographer

I dont know anything about the glamour industry but wouldnt spending time finding new faces rather than shooting the same models everyone else is shooting be more profitable? Thats what I'd be trying to do anyway.

Re your other point I think I'd rather work with a very attractive girl who's an average model than an average looking girl who's a very good model.

10 June 2013 06:50
paulbatterbury
Photographer

My point is, the popular models and not always the profitable ones. If you make money per set of images... you want more sets for you money. It is pointless shooting a model at twice the price as other, only to get half the work and half the income.

A model’s popularity is more often exaggerated, by magazines and themselves, mags on the middle shelf are aim a one particular audience, than doesn’t often appeal to the mainstream market.

Being aware of those audiences is important and you can find that the popular models are rejected by the audience.

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
10 June 2013 07:22
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

I think the whole "middle shelf" genre in the UK give,s a false impression of a models popularity unless they are so popular they can actually sell copies of the magazine on their own and I can say with a fair degree of certainty that there are no models registered on PS who could do that. I think the best models to shoot are the ones who will sell in volume and sell extensivelly in Europe/US as well as the UK. In my experience new models rarely do that unless they are destined to be a bit special and there are very few girls coming into the industry now who are particularly special.

Web is different, particularly at slightly more adult levels. There are certain popular models who's appearance definately boosts sales and sign ups. Even though they have been around for ages, people like Sophia Smith, particularly for anything UK based, and Danielle Maye worldwide can create sign ups on their own.

Although for "world appeal" very few UK models can match the popularity of certain European/US models. For example I doubt if any UK glamour/soft adult model will get to the level of popularity that say people like Eufrat, Ariel, Malena Morgan, Lorena G, etc enjoy.

But to answer your question, its nice to shoot models who are a pleasure to work with, but sometimes that is a luxury, me? I'll normally shoot who will make me the most money at any given time.
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Paul Hodson is off-line
10 June 2013 07:39
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from 1919_Images
I think I'd rather work with a very attractive girl who's an average model than an average looking girl who's a very good model.

Depends how average - and how good - if you know what I mean. frown

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

10 June 2013 08:39
paulbatterbury
Photographer

I had an opportunity to shoot a “popular model” but given that she has never been published outside the UK and the money she wanted, I opted to shoot Sophia who is everywhere on the internet and was already popular with my customers.

I get the impression at times, that some girls expect you to get out the red carpet or something, there only way I can describe it that they are lazy, and wrapped up in their own world, without consideration to other around them. These are the type of girls that will object you earning more of the shoots than them, despite you doing all the leg work.

There is an issue that after every shoot there is a honeymoon period, at the end of this you reflected back on the shoot and then with a clearer point of view, really decide what the shoot and the model is like.

Sophia and Danielle Maye are both easy to work with and hard working, they will pull a pose you don’t expect, and it just works. And I know Sophia coming up for 10 years now.

Tricky getting some of those national model to me, when I am in France, and most of them give you notice to short, when you have a shoot on, and need to raise a budget but they are also hard working girls when it comes to it.

Katie Soze is off-line
11 June 2013 15:27
katiesoze
Photographer
katiesoze
South Yorkshire

Talent always. Shooting popular models will get other popular models to work for me, but talent will always win as it makes my images better. Far too many times photographers rely on a better photographers opinion of a model rather than their own taste and judgement. That's how you get a portfolio that looks the same as everyone else's as it has all the same 'faces' doing the same poses.

HowardJ is off-line
11 June 2013 15:38
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I know what you mean. Sometimes shoots are easy and enjoyable. Other times they're painful.

Names I'd suggest are:

EKD has a good reputation and seems pretty down to earth
Samantha Alexandra
SophiaDelane
NataliaForrest (you can't go wrong with Natalia)

12 June 2013 03:59
paulbatterbury
Photographer

Quote from katiesoze
Far too many times photographers rely on a better photographers opinion of a model rather than their own taste and judgement. That's how you get a portfolio that looks the same as everyone else's as it has all the same 'faces' doing the same poses.

I strongly disagree there. It is not the models who make a person work look the same as other people who has shot her. It is the style of photography and concept for the shoot.

Yes some models only have a few poses, however that shows on their portfolios. If the have several photos from several different photographers where the model is puling the same pose of facial expression.

There is an issue where people judge the model skill, by the level of photography in an image or by the photographer’s name, which is a mistake.

A few years back it became the in thing where models would all seek out the same “fashionable” photographers and when you look at each girls portfolio you saw the same type of images in every girl portfolio, regardless if they looked good or not, they assumed because they shot with a certain photographers that would get them work….

Anyway if a models portfolio is lacking in some way, I don’t contact them.

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Samanthajane4
ChrisD grahamsphotography Jsp Musicman Philski Platidonio rembrandt westend_portfolios
Charlottealom