Does the camera leave an impression?

J K is off-line
09 June 2013 15:18
BenwellHopper
Photographer
BenwellHopper
Tyne and Wear
newcastle upon tyne

Sometimes when Im doing the TF with a model, it sometimes crops up that on some prevous shoot with another photographer, that the model was put off by their "ancient" camera, This strikes me odd as I often use cameras dating from the 1880s to the 1960s on TF shoots...Is digital old before you realise it or are we expected to change every two years to keep up apperances with this old digi marlarkey (asking because Its getting to that time of year when I should be investing in the next throwaway camera and am weary that if the model I book wont work her best, but feel that a new digi would not inspire me but inspire the model)......

OldMaster is off-line
09 June 2013 15:31
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

So the model is put off by the camera type........! Book another model who isn't such a cretin. Although I use latest digi kit I would still be happy with my 1980's Blad or 1960 Rolleiflex 2.8f......what would she know and how is it her business! Good enough for Bailey and Newton but not good enough for the model!!!!

J K is off-line
09 June 2013 15:34
BenwellHopper
Photographer
BenwellHopper
Tyne and Wear
newcastle upon tyne

Just seems to effect digi cameras....Theres a universal love for filmy stuff

Paul Cox is off-line
09 June 2013 15:44
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

Quote from BenwellHopper
Just seems to effect digi cameras....Theres a universal love for filmy stuff

Actually I have heard models being particularly suspicious of film photographers. Or rather questioning whether they actually have any film in the camera...

Gerry is off-line
09 June 2013 16:16
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

All the models I have ever worked with have only been interested in the images on the back of the screen. If they like how they are coming out, they are happy.

I wonder whether these "gear" complaints are because they don't like the images or have not been shown them so are concerned as to whether they are any good
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

EdT is off-line
10 June 2013 03:09
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from Gerry99111
I wonder whether these "gear" complaints are because they don't like the images or have not been shown them so are concerned as to whether they are any good

Don't think you could see an image on the back of a 1980s 'Blad. Though you could put a polaroid back on it, I suppose.

Oliver Cook is off-line
10 June 2013 04:06
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

This subject always makes me smile. It happens across every walk of creative life. You should see some of the paintbrushes that I use on a regular basis - they have destroyed bristles, tape around the handles etc, but they work for the technique I'm doing right then. Doesn't stop some people pulling a face. As far as cameras go I think its actually a bit easier using an older piece of kit that isn't worth much, especially out on location. If you can concentrate on the shooting without stressing that you are going to damage an obscenely expensive piece of kit (smashing it into a rock, dangling it into mud or water etc.) then its quite liberating and helps. Also, just like the paintbrushes, people create a bond with a piece of equipment - and that often makes things work better. Hence why some people use really ancient gear they have always loved.

Its not the kit that matters one jot, but the end results. As a note I never show anyone any of my images, photographic, drawing or paintings, until I'm done and happy with them. When I look at the raw image, initial sketch, or base painting I know that its just a first step on the way to the completed final, and I can visualise where its going in my head - models can't do that because they aren't in my head. I used to freeze up and stop painting even if my tutor stood and watched me at art school!

Razoir is off-line
10 June 2013 09:46
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from EdT
Don't think you could see an image on the back of a 1980s 'Blad. Though you could put a polaroid back on it, I suppose.

... and to quote Terry Donovan, "Never let the model see the Polaroid."

It's just ignorance. We photographers know that you can take a photograph with a shoe box and a pin. Most models have so little understanding of photography that they judge a photographer on having what they see as good kit. I recall a thread on another site on which a photographer told of a model who, on seeing his Hasselblad asked him if he didn't have a proper camera!
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Paul Cox is off-line
10 June 2013 10:10
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

Quote from EdT

I was just looking on eBay and saw a Pentax with zoom lens sold for £2.20. For those GWCs just wanting a perv a film camera is ideal, less costly than a DSLR and no ability for the model to see what's been taken (if anything). So far from ignorance (as suggested by another poster) an aversion to film cameras may have some sound reasoning.

Neil Anderson is off-line
10 June 2013 10:59
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Don't most GWC have Canon cameras with cheap zoom lenses.
Most Kids with cameras at gigs (who like to bounce flash off black ceilings or the audience) have Canon cameras with nice slow zooms.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs isobel111 zavego
ad360photo ansonphotography belmez2000 Blancho cygnet dorrian Essexjohn eyecandiphotography Gentleguy gwentman Jobe JohnDentonPhoto jonnywoo M1chae15 mlp nickdandalos p4pFetography parafotos Pictureimage rikspiks stephenmuddell stevegosh thelook tms