Reminder Secure

Dear Models....Test Shoots? Your Views and Opinions Please....

11 June 2013 08:45
JadedRed
Model

I've noticed lately I've had a couple of offers of test shoots for TFP shoots.

The proper procedure lately seems to be 1st email: Offer model work, 3rd email: Tell model you are only offering TFP, 5th email: tell model you will need to have an unpaid test shoot before you will be able to go ahead with the TFP shoot, 6th email: rant and rave about the time you spent communicating that the model has wasted by refusing the shoot.

Why can't models just be straightforward so guys don't waste time sending endless emails gradually feeding titbits of information about what they want?

Darren Brade is off-line
11 June 2013 09:10
darrenbrade
Photographer
darrenbrade
London
London

Bottom Line:

"Test" as the name suggests is when something is being "tested". For example,
- a photographer testing lighting equipment and wants to use model
- an agency wants to test a photographer to see what they produce
- an agency wants to test a potential new face to see if they can model
- a client wants to see if a model/photographer/MUA/Concept will work
- see where I'm going with this?

Tests can be paid or unpaid.

General rule - check what/who is being tested, for what purpose and if it is paid or unpaid.

(somewhere I have a Rocket Scientist's Hat, but I must have mislaid it)
www.darrenbrade.com

Dave Laurie is off-line
11 June 2013 11:06
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

Quote from JadedRed
I've noticed lately I've had a couple of offers of test shoots for TFP shoots. The proper procedure lately seems to be 1st email: Offer model work, 3rd email: Tell model you are only offering TFP, 5th email: tell model you will need to have an unpaid test shoot before you will be able to go ahead with the TFP shoot, 6th email: rant and rave about the time you spent communicating that the model has wasted by refusing the shoot.
Why can't models just be straightforward so guys don't waste time sending endless emails gradually feeding titbits of information about what they want?

Jeez, I'd never have thought it could be models' faults!
I was blaming photographers for not being straightforward...........
...or do I just mean not being totally honest?

Dave.

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
11 June 2013 12:53
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

How do you do a casting call for an unpaid Test shoot here? You can't without lying, because there is no "none of the above" button. But that doesn't mean that anyone who contemplates or offers one is inherently dishonest.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Angel3 is off-lineSilver Member
19 June 2013 04:16
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

test shoots I don't mind as long as the photographer is exceptional and the same goes with TFP.

20 June 2013 08:18
Neil_M
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending

Just to play a bit of devils advocate on this...

The common misconception is that tests aren't paid.

Jesfish is off-line
20 June 2013 08:49
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Quote from Neil_M
Just to play a bit of devils advocate on this... The common misconception is that tests aren't paid.

True.  I've been paid for test shoots.

lostinbids is off-lineSilver Member
20 June 2013 13:19
lostinbids
Photographer
lostinbids
East Sussex

I pay when I do test shoots. It is only a nominal amount to cover some transport costs.

The reason I do a test shoot is to see if a model is reliable and will turn up. When you are planning a proper shoot with multiple models you don't want it screwed up by someone flakey.

20 June 2013 18:55
Honesty
Model

Quote from Chrissie_Red
- This is me speaking from a "model in Scotland" perspective.

I don't view them as a higher status - to me this reads

"I wont say TF because everybody offers that but I know exactly what I want to shoot and don't want to pay for the model so if I lure her in by saying "test" she might think she will make money out of me or a publication" (note - never been paid to do photography and never paid a model).

They are the same buggers who post at midnight "Looking for a professional agency model for a test at 8am tomorrow (in a specific village miles from nowhere) - full team on board".

+1

Though I rate "test" shoots below tf so maybe I mean -1

They are such a blatant con. I've only ever done one and it was a local photographer who was looking for girls for stock footage assignments (my lonely hearts tiny violin went because I was the only model that answered and even then it was because I fancied making a friend who was local as oppose to constantly busy or in transit... yeah I know. .. bless) turns out he'd worked uber professionally and was genuinely looking for a set of stock model faces to fulfil jobs as they arose. In many ways I lucked out, but in general I agree it just seems like come work for me, I have a job I want paying for and so can't give you prints also I don't want to pay you.

I have been on all sorts of agency tests and whatnot but all with a realistic and concrete chance of work somewhere along the line well apart from the above which was probably a momentary lapse of judgement but ended well. I think anyone daring to say test really ought to back up with contracts. Thinking about it I actually have a paid test in London possibly August. The above is correct models should be paid if you want to test and then decide on further work. I guess it all comes back to how gullible you allow yourself to be.

20 June 2013 19:12
Honesty
Model

Quote from Neil_M
Just to play a bit of devils advocate on this...

The common misconception is that tests aren't paid.

Hahaha gosh that made me chuckle I'm testing with you soon and I don't remember demanding payment (once again hoisted by my own ptard on the forums) I am however 99% sure you'll book me and I get a proper pint of Guinness. That's payment enough lol.

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa chosin DanielleWxx ElleLaura natalie120525 Sophiadelane
bbphotos bob chriscooze claypaws Dandelion david1500 dorrian Essexjohn frankpht gazzer59 Kjoservices mike0048 sandycamel
matt