Reminder Secure

Dear Models....Test Shoots? Your Views and Opinions Please....

Dave Laurie is off-line
08 June 2013 05:29
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

I'm interesting in knowing what Models think when they see Test Shoots advertised...........

Would you consider it to have a higher status than a TFP/TFCD casting?

Chrissie Red is off-line
08 June 2013 06:04
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

- This is me speaking from a "model in Scotland" perspective.

I don't view them as a higher status - to me this reads

"I wont say TF because everybody offers that but I know exactly what I want to shoot and don't want to pay for the model so if I lure her in by saying "test" she might think she will make money out of me or a publication" (note - never been paid to do photography and never paid a model).

They are the same buggers who post at midnight "Looking for a professional agency model for a test at 8am tomorrow (in a specific village miles from nowhere) - full team on board".

Peter Hague is online
08 June 2013 06:31
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from Chrissie_Red
- This is me speaking from a "model in Scotland" perspective. I don't view them as a higher status - to me this reads "I wont say TF because everybody offers that but I know exactly what I want to shoot and don't want to pay for the model so if I lure her in by saying "test" she might think she will make money out of me or a publication" (note - never been paid to do photography and never paid a model). They are the same buggers who post at midnight "Looking for a professional agency model for a test at 8am tomorrow (in a specific village miles from nowhere) - full team on board".

+1

A test is an entirely different thing to a TF shoot, as is a collaboration, or syndication, or whatever the latest buzzword is to diguise the term "Time for...."
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Gerry is online
08 June 2013 06:50
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

I have worked with a handful of proper agency models - ie signed and get regular work from a agency that will get you work with known products and publications.

They all only "test" with published and professional photographers and seldom have need for TFP. I think they probably know what they mean by that and that it has an expectation of further opportunity in the market they primarily operate in.

Everyone else generally means TFP even if they use the word test and certainly on here, I would expect most people have no comprehension as to what a test is and so, as usual, its best to make sure all parties understand.

I don't really understand the full distinction myself, but then I don't really need to. I hope someone who actually works in the main stream published fashion arena drops by and gives a good definition of what it means and how it differs from a TFP.

One thing for certain, any use of it here is likely to be as misused as "plus sized".
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Dave Laurie is off-line
08 June 2013 06:51
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

Quote from Chrissie_Red
- This is me speaking from a "model in Scotland" perspective. I don't view them as a higher status - to me this reads "I wont say TF because everybody offers that but I know exactly what I want to shoot and don't want to pay for the model so if I lure her in by saying "test" she might think she will make money out of me or a publication" (note - never been paid to do photography and never paid a model). They are the same buggers who post at midnight "Looking for a professional agency model for a test at 8am tomorrow (in a specific village miles from nowhere) - full team on board".

See now you're just being cynical! Although cynical doesn't mean wrong does it?

Dave Laurie is off-line
08 June 2013 06:55
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

Quote from PeterH
+1

A test is an entirely different thing to a TF shoot, as is a collaboration, or syndication, or whatever the latest buzzword is to diguise the term "Time for...."

Yes, I think it's yet another part of the industry where a term has evolved (or been deliberately misconstrued) to suit the needs of individuals.

There used to be a site listing genuine Tests didn't there? I think even they have given up on trying to keep it legit.

Kev W is off-lineSilver Member
08 June 2013 07:08
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Leicestershire
Hinckley

Apologies for another photographer response to a question directed at models... I'm increasingly finding that [usually agency] models prefer to use the term 'test' when arranging a shoot, the purpose of which is to update his/her portfolio. The inference is that 'TF' sounds a bit too amateur, even though it amounts, in these cases, to the same thing. I also tend to assume that 'testing' includes a make-up artist, a studio, and posher biscuits

08 June 2013 07:31
1919_Images
Photographer

Quote from Follyhouse
Apologies for another photographer response to a question directed at models... I'm increasingly finding that [usually agency] models prefer to use the term 'test' when arranging a shoot, the purpose of which is to update his/her portfolio. The inference is that 'TF' sounds a bit too amateur, even though it amounts, in these cases, to the same thing. I also tend to assume that 'testing' includes a make-up artist, a studio, and posher biscuits

I'd agree with this, testing is for agency standard models and decent standard photographers with hair/make up/styling etc.

Tony T is off-lineGold Member
08 June 2013 07:45
tthompson01
Photographer
tthompson01
Lincolnshire
Grantham

OK here is my twopeneth for what it is worth.

For commercial photography a test shoot may be carried out prior to booking a model for the actual shoot. This would be done days or sometimes weeks before the actual shoot, the reason is so the photographer can decide if the model can deliver what is expected of her on the actual shoot (a commercial shoot can run in to thousands of pounds). The test shoot will only last about half an hour and the model may or may not be paid for her time.

A model agency test is different a new model will be sent by an agency to one of their approved photographers, this is to see if she has the talent and personality to succeed in the industry and to start building her portfolio. The model receives images and the photographer is usually paid by the agency (mostly this is a reduced rate to the photographers normal charge).

Hope this helps.
A camera is just a box, any image produced with it emanates from the eye and mind of it's opperator.

Darren Brade is off-line
10 June 2013 18:29
darrenbrade
Photographer
darrenbrade
London
London

just use "TF*" for internet models
and use "test" for agency models.

otherwise just put a Babel fish in your ear.
www.darrenbrade.com

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Ashleighmckenzie katielouxox miles PrincessPixie1
ad360photo Arterotica chriscooze ellessephotography frankpht Funder005 gerry99111 James7799 jonnywoo Kimily Ladiesman Modelphotoireland nemesis peterh photostevo poah rod_m99 rscott360 streetmodel tigerman tms two_stops woody