w4pictures is off-line
09 June 2013 10:14
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from mph
Did the sense of humour by-pass hurt much? 

By-pass! Love it!

I had central reservations, too.

Ian Wilson is off-line
09 June 2013 10:40
Ian_Wilson
Photographer
Ian_Wilson
Greater Manchester
St Helens

Quote from pompeytog
 Massive +1 to this. Problem is though due to the nanny state we live in, it probably won't be made legal because "what if drivers forget to use their mirrors when changing lanes", ( i.e. you're undertaking and middle lane hogger decides to move back to lane 1 without checking). The USA seem to manage undertaking ok though.  

As if middle-lane hoggers check any of their mirrors at any time!

The whole point of being there is that you are ignoring everything and everbody else on the the motorway, feeling safe and smug in your own little cocoon. I always used to assume that it was because they were such awful drivers that they didn't know how to change lane or were too scared to go near the edge in case they drove off it!

Seriously, it is just as likely for someone pulling out to forget to check their mirror (or miss someone in the blind spot) as it is for someone to pull in without checking.
I am good at dispensing sound advice...but it's 99% sound and 1% advice

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
09 June 2013 12:35
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

The reason why drivers hog the middle lane is very simple really, - it's to give them more opportunity to miss anyone that runs out into the road from behind a parked car.

EdT is off-line
09 June 2013 16:26
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from stolenfaces

Personally I find French motorways sensible with an 80mph limit in dry weather, but 70 in wet weather. I would favour a similar system here except that it would reportedly cost at leat £500 million

The difference is that in France the police don't bother much about stopping people for speeding. Can you imagine the legal wrangling here when someone is fined for driving at 75mph in wet weather when in fact there were only 20 drops or rain per square metre. Who decides at any moment whether it is wet? It's very easy when there is an inch of water on the road, but not so easy after a very light shower. Could be why France's death rate is still the double of ours.

alexkidd is off-line
09 June 2013 20:30
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
East Yorkshire
Hull

Quote from EdT
Could be why France's death rate is still the double of ours.

Do we know if those statistics are normalised or whether it's just actual numbers? You know size/scale wise?
www.as-images.com or co.uk ~ i lack interweb social skills and may come across a bit james blunt

Paul Hodson is off-line
10 June 2013 03:50
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from alexkidd
Do we know if those statistics are normalised or whether it's just actual numbers? You know size/scale wise?

However one fiddles/adjusts the figures it would be impossible to identify a single reason for any discrepancy.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

EdT is off-line
10 June 2013 04:02
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Not suggesting it is the one reason for France's mortality rate, it's a mix of many things including the fact that the police don't enforce any of the rules of the road. It used to be even worse until they started to enforce the alcohol limits.

The French always say that they are the country with the most laws in the world, but nobody abides by them.

Phil Black is off-lineSilver Member
10 June 2013 08:10
Dandelion
Photographer

Norfolk
Norwich

I agree this has never bothered me, I drive at 70 in the middle lane rather than weave in and out of the slow lane which I consider more dangerous.
There are plenty of other bad driving habits to tackle before middle lane driving. lighting up, mirrors, mobiles, indicators, etc.

This is just another draconian measure to get in more money.

click_gotcha is off-line
10 June 2013 09:42
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from Dandelion
I agree this has never bothered me, I drive at 70 in the middle lane rather than weave in and out of the slow lane which I consider more dangerous. There are plenty of other bad driving habits to tackle before middle lane driving. lighting up, mirrors, mobiles, indicators, etc. This is just another draconian measure to get in more money.

There is no slow lane, if you are not overtaking anyone move to the left.  This has nothing to do with speed.

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
10 June 2013 11:27
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

click_gotcha has given the most accurate answer!  I't s that simple!!!
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin fashion29 Krystald RedXXX toxicinnocence
ad360photo alanbassettphotography alexo antoinewynn bilingbo diphoto djb1 ellessephotography eosfan Essexjohn freddie GSC4X kimsandman2 Kjoservices liteangle mlp oro pafriend rscott360 RUPERT Steveh32