Hogging the middle lane on the M1

Paul Hodson is off-line
08 June 2013 17:50
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

I have a solution! Make lane 1 quieter than lanes 2 and 3 by using a different surface. Many more would use it. Serious suggestion by the way.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

alexkidd is off-line
08 June 2013 19:54
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
East Yorkshire
Hull

i just wish they'd introduce higher variable speed limits, doing 70 on an exceptionally long stretch of motorway at night with 1 car every 20 mins when i could be doing 90 is a bit annoying

(awaits the wrath of the righteous)
www.as-images.com or co.uk ~ i lack interweb social skills and may come across a bit james blunt

Paul Hodson is off-line
09 June 2013 00:45
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from alexkidd
i just wish they'd introduce higher variable speed limits, doing 70 on an exceptionally long stretch of motorway at night with 1 car every 20 mins when i could be doing 90 is a bit annoying

(awaits the wrath of the righteous)

I can remember when there was no 70 limit! Mind you the car I had would have been pushed to get to 70!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
09 June 2013 04:03
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from mph
I have a solution! Make lane 1 quieter than lanes 2 and 3 by using a different surface. Many more would use it. Serious suggestion by the way.

It's been practice in the UK since 1st April 2003 to replace concrete motorway surfaces with 'quieter' materials when need arises  - so not such a daft suggestion!cheeky

The next step will be to replace the 'quieter' materials with carpet underlay.

It was broken when I got here

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
09 June 2013 06:55
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from Ian_Wilson
The problem of middle lane hoggers would not be an issue if undertaking was made legal.

Massive +1 to this. Problem is though due to the nanny state we live in, it probably won't be made legal because "what if drivers forget to use their mirrors when changing lanes", ( i.e. you're undertaking and middle lane hogger decides to move back to lane 1 without checking). The USA seem to manage undertaking ok though.  
How hard can it be?

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
09 June 2013 06:55
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from alexkidd
i just wish they'd introduce higher variable speed limits, doing 70 on an exceptionally long stretch of motorway at night with 1 car every 20 mins when i could be doing 90 is a bit annoying (awaits the wrath of the righteous)

+1
How hard can it be?

09 June 2013 07:19
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from Ian_Wilson
The problem of middle lane hoggers would not be an issue if undertaking was made legal.

We've got no motorways in Cornwall, but I regularly undertake offside lane hogging cars on my motorbike on dual carriageways. It's infuriating when I close in on them at well over 100mph and they just stay there

09 June 2013 07:29
snapychapy
Photographer

Quote from onebadpuppy
Motorways are very simple, the inside lane is for trucks, coaches, campervans, caravans, old people and the odd horse and cart, the outside land is for BMW's, and the inside lane is for everything else. It ain't rocket science.

you f..... idiot

Paul Hodson is off-line
09 June 2013 08:25
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from snapychapy
you f..... idiot

Did the sense of humour by-pass hurt much? 

Neil Anderson is off-line
09 June 2013 08:49
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from pompeytog
 Massive +1 to this. Problem is though due to the nanny state we live in, it probably won't be made legal because "what if drivers forget to use their mirrors when changing lanes", ( i.e. you're undertaking and middle lane hogger decides to move back to lane 1 without checking). The USA seem to manage undertaking ok though.  

You seem to misunderstand the concept of the 'nanny state' - the nanny state forces you to look after yourself - stopping you killing other people is a prime function of any state.

Much of this discussion seems to be contrasting people's 'amusing' comments about driving on dual-carriageways in rural backwaters with others' experiences on 4 or 6 lane motorways.

Personally I find French motorways sensible with an 80mph limit in dry weather, but 70 in wet weather. I would favour a similar system here except that it would reportedly cost at leat £500 million

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa karenr KerryWright24 Melanie277 Paris
63jian antoinewynn Creativedge digitalmood diphoto edwards ellessephotography eosfan guitarman James7799 Kinggonk Mattcairns mike0048 orca_photography photo_j Photojames43 Refinedexposure rod_m99 Rscott360 Rule_of_Thumb supaglam tonyk1 whitepython xsa73
harbourstudio