Peter Roach is off-lineGold Member
08 June 2013 07:09
flashysnapper
Photographer
flashysnapper
Staffordshire
burton on trent

Quote from Sdeve
.. Or, if you move into lane 1, there is approaching from behind some person committing the criminal offence of driving faster than you (exceeding the speed limit is a criminal offence) who you will have to rely upon to move into lane 3 if you want to pull back into lane 2 in order to pass the slower vehicles I mentioned, a more dangerous option than forcing him to either move into lane 3 or slow down to a legal speed.

Another alternative is to adjust your speed to the slower moving traffic, allow the speeder to pass then overtake the slower traffic when its safe to do so.
Seemples

Neil Anderson is off-line
08 June 2013 07:24
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from flashysnapper
Another alternative is to adjust your speed to the slower moving traffic, allow the speeder to pass then overtake the slower traffic when its safe to do so.

Seemples

Do you actually drive on any motorways ?
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Peter Roach is off-lineGold Member
08 June 2013 07:41
flashysnapper
Photographer
flashysnapper
Staffordshire
burton on trent

Quote from stolenfaces
Do you actually drive on any motorways ?

Yes very regularly, most recent  being thurs going to and from a shoot with Tayla in gloucester.

w4pictures is off-line
08 June 2013 11:50
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from Sdeve
As a final thought, nothing in the Highway Code is a law. It often quotes the law, such as speed limits, but it is not a law, but a manual of good driving. As such, it's provisions can be used to show bad driving by the breach of it's advice. Nobody will ever be prosecuted for breaching section 12.2 of the Highway code (numbers for illustration only. God knows what it is, or even if it exists)

It is, as it happens. It certainly used to differentiate the legal parts from the dtiving technique parts but the Highway Code is about half technique and half law. And it is often used to establish liability in the courts.

I only know this because some of the pages were hard to separate, so I had to hold the wheel with my knees and use both hands, at which point I found that I'd mistakenly strayed into the inside lane. So I did what anyone would do. I got straight back into the middle lane which, as we know, is God's own lane.

Many of these rules and laws were made long ago and, with the march of time and technology, people now seem happier to interpret them than to stick to them. I imagine the law says that we drive on the left hand side of the road in this country, and that means the left unless overtaking, full stop, thereby painting a rosy 1960s picture of a largely empty motorway with a Rover overtaking a Humber. So the M1 on a Friday afternoon around Luton represents a money-making opportunity of Titanic proportions just by applying the letter of the law using an official bribe (I love that expression).

Neil Anderson is off-line
08 June 2013 12:13
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from w4pictures
It is, as it happens. It certainly used to differentiate the legal parts from the dtiving technique parts but the Highway Code is about half technique and half law. And it is often used to establish liability in the courts.

I only know this because some of the pages were hard to separate, so I had to hold the wheel with my knees and use both hands, at which point I found that I'd mistakenly strayed into the inside lane. So I did what anyone would do. I got straight back into the middle lane which, as we know, is God's own lane.

Many of these rules and laws were made long ago and, with the march of time and technology, people now seem happier to interpret them than to stick to them. I imagine the law says that we drive on the left hand side of the road in this country, and that means the left unless overtaking, full stop, thereby painting a rosy 1960s picture of a largely empty motorway with a Rover overtaking a Humber. So the M1 on a Friday afternoon around Luton represents a money-making opportunity of Titanic proportions just by applying the letter of the law using an official bribe (I love that expression).

It isn't.
'The law' is either
(1) laid out in an act of parliament (including regulations which the government may alter by laying a statutory instrument before the house)
Or
(2) common law which is set by judicial precedence

The Highway Code is a list of good practice and interesting facts including some references to the legalities of driving.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Paul Hodson is off-line
08 June 2013 12:26
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from stolenfaces
It isn't. 'The law' is either (1) laid out in an act of parliament (including regulations which the government may alter by laying a statutory instrument before the house) Or (2) common law which is set by judicial precedence The Highway Code is a list of good practice and interesting facts including some references to the legalities of driving.

However, many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence.

Additionally although failure to comply with the other rules of The Highway Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

08 June 2013 12:59
onebadpuppy
Photographer

Motorways are very simple, the inside lane is for trucks, coaches, campervans, caravans, old people and the odd horse and cart, the outside land is for BMW's, and the inside lane is for everything else. It ain't rocket science.

Paul Hodson is off-line
08 June 2013 13:13
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from onebadpuppy
Motorways are very simple, the inside lane is for trucks, coaches, campervans, caravans, old people and the odd horse and cart, the outside land is for BMW's, and the inside lane is for everything else. It ain't rocket science.

Well I've been overtaken by a guy in the outside lane towing a caravan so............. 

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
08 June 2013 15:26
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from stolenfaces
If you're such a good driver that it is safe for you to poodle along at 90mph, surely you can move into the 3rd lane, even at 70 the only problem with moving into the 3rd lane is criminals driving fast enough to receive a ban if caught. So why would they need to pull over to let you past ? The Highway code isn't a law, certain parts of it are part of the criminal law. Speed Limits are specific, what constitutes overtaking is less clear. Are lorries which take it in turns to overtake each other at 61mph v 60mph (taking 15 minutes to pass) overtaking ? These rolling roadblock games are generally more dangerous /frustrating than a middle lane hogger. Changing lanes is inherently dangerous. However good your technique and ability, a poor driver on his mobile can still hit you. If you are so good and safe at changing lanes why do you have a problem with moving out into the 3rd lane if you find someone in the middle lane who is inconsiderately obeying the speed limit. And there are a lot of motorway junctions where lane 1 becomes an exit lane, so you have to get out into the traffic breaking the speed limit in lane 2 if you don't pull out at an early opportunity. If everyone drove all the time in the inside lane the road surface would need replacing more frequently (which is why some sections of the motorway have an inside lane which provides a similar driving experience to a farm track).

So who mentioned 90mph? Not me for sure. Yes you sometimes can move to lane three to overtake,( except when the dumbpompeytog is a naughty person twats who want to pick & choose which  rules of the highway code to obey ) are hogging lane two when lane one is empty, so forcing the poodlers to block lane three. 

Some parts of the highway code may not be law but they are the standards set to try and avoid chaos on the roads. If you think you can choose which parts are relavent then try taking your driving test again and see how far you get by picking and choosing which rules you feel like obeying. 

I agree with you about the truck rolling road blocks.

Changing lanes really isn't inherently dangerous, the trick is to plan ahead and early. Use your mirrors to see what is approaching, put on a signal if safe to do so, chin to shoulder check to check your blind spot and if all clear, gently steer into the next lane. It's really easy , really really easy. As I said before, of you can't do that safely you don't deserve a driving licence.

Your point about lane one getting worn out and needing replacing more frequently, bonus, only one lane needing resurfacing rather than two or three. Even less traffic hold ups.
How hard can it be?

Ian Wilson is off-line
08 June 2013 16:38
Ian_Wilson
Photographer
Ian_Wilson
Greater Manchester
St Helens

The problem of middle lane hoggers would not be an issue if undertaking was made legal.
I am good at dispensing sound advice...but it's 99% sound and 1% advice

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Lushlolly pinklilly RedXXX rob452 tanyacox Winterlilly
android_man antoinewynn cjg cygnet dannyrich digitizer djb1 eosfan frankpht GH46 ianscales James7799 philippahh pixelworx redbaron shadowtime74 Skystudio soulc steveh32 stuartnoo