Pete Whelan is off-line
06 June 2013 10:46
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Merseyside
Wirral

Quote from mph
But - and it is a big but. How far from the next vehicle in the inside lane must you be before you are entitled to stay in the middle lane to overtake them?

Because one thing I can promise you. If every driver swung into the left hand lane at every opportunity and then pulled out again when he caught up a slow moving vehicle it would be absolute bloody chaos!

If the motorway is busy, staying in the middle - obviously at an appropriate speed - is probably a lot safer than changing lanes every 10 seconds. When do most accidents happen? When changing lanes!

Don't get me wrong. If it's sensible to move over I do. But if I am driving at the speed limit (or what passes for the speed limit!) it is extremely easy to find yourself in the position of catching someone up with a 30 mph differential - and finding a guy outside you travelling 0.7 mph more than you, forcing you to brake.

It is not as simple as it sounds.

I didn't realise Scooters are allowed on the motorway let alone did 70 mph ???laugh

www.vipimages.co.uk www.vipstudios.co.uk

Funky is off-line
06 June 2013 11:02
Funky
Photographer
Funky
Birmingham

"All this doesnt really matter unless they get more damn traffic police out there to catch the buggers though."

Do we still have traffic police on patrol?  I haven't seen any for about five years, only called to accidents.  The 'police vehicles only' spaces on motorways all seem to have grass growing all over them.

Ken Smith is off-line
06 June 2013 11:31
Ken_Smith
Photographer
Ken_Smith
Nottinghamshire
Ashfield

Here's a link to the relevant section of The Highway Code on the government's website:

https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-273/lane-discipline-264-to-266

Quote: "You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs."

However, I was under the impression that the rules backed by law were the ones including the words MUST / MUST NOT (as in the reference to driving on the hard shoulder). Concerning driving in the left lane when not overtaking it says what you "should" do, rather than what you "MUST" do, so I would assume that it is only a recommendation and not backed by a specific law...

David Wilder, Unemployed, 42, ROCK LEGEND. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV4NpAnDV8s

06 June 2013 12:28
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from SandyCamel
Oh, I see, so the idea is that you can do a maximum of 70 mph AND when appropropriate you must stay in the left hand lane.
That makes perfect sense - thank you.
Sincerely thank you though - this has puzzled me for years and now I under-stand.

Are you for real? Are you sure you've passed your test or read the Highway Code? If the left lane's totally empty, what makes you think it's appropriate to stay in the middle lane? If the motorway was totally empty apart from yourself, you wouldn't drive in the right hand lane, so what's the difference in sticking to the middle lane when the left's empty? Jeez.

06 June 2013 12:33
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from SandyCamel
Fair comment - I am in a minority sticking to the speed limit to be honest - it is so obvious when I am on the M1 - and I feel like an anoyance to other drivers for doing so 

You're not an annoyance for sticking to the speed limit, you're an annoyance for doing it in the middle lane when the left one's empty. And yes, I know you'll say anyone passing you when you're doing 70 is breaking the law, but that's another issue entirely.

06 June 2013 13:40
snapychapy
Photographer

Quote from SandyCamel
I understand that police will soon have the power to give on the spot fines and 3 points for people who hog the middle lane.

I have never under-stood this to be honest - what I mean is this,

The M1 has a 70 mile speed limit. That is the law. If you exceed this then you are acting illegally I believe.

So if I am doing 70 in the middle lane, over-taking lorries doing 60 etc, then what am I doing wrong just staying there ?  Surely nothing should catch up with me as then the other vehicle would be doing over 70 and acting illegally ?

I hope that this makes sense and I genuinely believe that I must be missing some-thing so please educate me.

Jonathan.

Exactly why it should be enforced for people like you who 'do not understand' and need 'educating'

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
06 June 2013 13:59
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

Hmm, different opinions, different driving ideals, it's what makes us human I guess and why there are so many accidents! Best driving strategy is to drive defensively, keep a safe distance from all the others - you can't do much though when the enemy's behind you! Damon Hill, F1 World Champion 1996, stated in respect of any proposal to raise the motorway speed limit to 80mph,-
"Most people aren't safe to drive over 55. Honestly, the speed limit going up to 80mph makes me shudder... Because people drive too fast on the motorway. Mostly they drive too fast, too close to the car in front, and they think they know what they're doing. And they don't." Hill said driving at 200mph on a racetrack does not compare to driving at high speed on a motorway.
"The concentration level you are at in a race situation, you're in a totally different state of mind," he said. "What happens when people drive on the roads is that they don't concentrate, they just think about something else. So they're relying on their unconscious to respond to things. That's why it's better to drive at a sensible pace."
Lots of you will disagree with him, (there was a backlash on another forum after he said it). I think he's absolutely right.

06 June 2013 14:08
snapychapy
Photographer

Kiboko...that's it , in a nutshell : too close and too fast

Paul Hodson is off-line
06 June 2013 14:47
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from peterbuchanphoto
They arent going to pick on drivers for not moving back into the left lane for 20 seconds before moving out to overtake again a few 100yds down the road.

Can we have that in writing? The words "Targets" comes to mind. And how the Hell can you defend yourself if accused of it - unless there is a specified distance/speed/time relationship for being in the middle lane - which obviously there can't be. Sounds like another cash generator!

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul Hodson is off-line
06 June 2013 14:48
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from vipimages
I didn't realise Scooters are allowed on the motorway let alone did 70 mph ???laugh

It's not a scooter - it's a motorised Zimmer frame!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ChloeDevine pinklilly
Blancho dby47 iestyn Photojoe670 photostevo redtail shadowtime74 siclews spiritofwales Willjamieson