gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
05 June 2013 19:03
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Quote from mantisphoto
what really annoys me more than hogging the middle lane is HGV's trying to overtake other HGV's at 56mph on a hill... they need about 10 miles on order to do so and cause massive congestion... GRRRR

Don't let the 56mph sticker make you think they all stick to 56mph.   I've travelled in several HGVs recently that were capabale of 70mph. The drivers believe the risk of their tacho cards being inspected are very low 
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
06 June 2013 05:32
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from mantisphoto
what really annoys me more than hogging the middle lane is HGV's trying to overtake other HGV's at 56mph on a hill... they need about 10 miles on order to do so and cause massive congestion... GRRRR

Not so much annoying as scary is travelling on an unrestricted section of an autobahn and seeing a lorry pull out to overtake another lorry when you are at the limit of your thinking/braking/stopping distance! In Germany (and some other countries) there is a law which states that lorries can't overtake cars during daylight but they can still overtake other lorries, with some pretty nasty results.

It was broken when I got here

click_gotcha is off-line
06 June 2013 05:59
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from SandyCamel
I understand that police will soon have the power to give on the spot fines and 3 points for people who hog the middle lane.

I have never under-stood this to be honest - what I mean is this,

The M1 has a 70 mile speed limit. That is the law. If you exceed this then you are acting illegally I believe.

So if I am doing 70 in the middle lane, over-taking lorries doing 60 etc, then what am I doing wrong just staying there ?  Surely nothing should catch up with me as then the other vehicle would be doing over 70 and acting illegally ?

I hope that this makes sense and I genuinely believe that I must be missing some-thing so please educate me.

Jonathan.

You're not a traffic cop, it's not your job to stop people behindyou exceeding teh speed limit.  You are also acting illegally if you don't return to the left hand lane when you've finished overtaking.

Paul Hodson is off-line
06 June 2013 07:18
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

But - and it is a big but. How far from the next vehicle in the inside lane must you be before you are entitled to stay in the middle lane to overtake them?

Because one thing I can promise you. If every driver swung into the left hand lane at every opportunity and then pulled out again when he caught up a slow moving vehicle it would be absolute bloody chaos!

If the motorway is busy, staying in the middle - obviously at an appropriate speed - is probably a lot safer than changing lanes every 10 seconds. When do most accidents happen? When changing lanes!

Don't get me wrong. If it's sensible to move over I do. But if I am driving at the speed limit (or what passes for the speed limit!) it is extremely easy to find yourself in the position of catching someone up with a 30 mph differential - and finding a guy outside you travelling 0.7 mph more than you, forcing you to brake.

It is not as simple as it sounds.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Neil Anderson is off-line
06 June 2013 07:34
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from click_gotcha
You're not a traffic cop, it's not your job to stop people behindyou exceeding teh speed limit.  You are also acting illegally if you don't return to the left hand lane when you've finished overtaking.

Whilst this works on French Motorways, because they are relatively empty, if you are doing 70 on most English motorways during the day you are continuously overtaking.
Changing lanes is also pretty much the most dangerous part of motorway driving.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

click_gotcha is off-line
06 June 2013 08:31
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from stolenfaces
Whilst this works on French Motorways, because they are relatively empty, if you are doing 70 on most English motorways during the day you are continuously overtaking. Changing lanes is also pretty much the most dangerous part of motorway driving.

Continuously overtaking is fine, just go back into the left hand lane when you're finished.    There's nothing more frustrating than coming up towards a slower car in the middle lane when you are in the left hand lane and there's no-one in front of you, this means you have to change lanes twice to get past him and twice again once you're past to get back into the left hand lane again.   It effectively makes a 3 lane motorway a 2 lane motorway.  This applies to Scottish motorways too

Neil Anderson is off-line
06 June 2013 09:45
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from click_gotcha
Continuously overtaking is fine, just go back into the left hand lane when you're finished.    There's nothing more frustrating than coming up towards a slower car in the middle lane when you are in the left hand lane and there's no-one in front of you, this means you have to change lanes twice to get past him and twice again once you're past to get back into the left hand lane again.   It effectively makes a 3 lane motorway a 2 lane motorway.  This applies to Scottish motorways too

Continuously means all the time. All the major English motorways effectively have the inside lane blocked by lorries, caravans and other slow traffic. If you want to break the speed limit why can't you just go into the outside lane.
How does this work on six-lane motor ways or even 4 lanes. They are clearly not designed for over-taking.
In reality 3 lane motorways only make sense if the inside lane is effectively reserved for slow traffic with normal traffic driving in lane 2 and over-taking in lane 3. How come you need more than one lane for overtaking ?

The most dangerous thing is when someone in the inside lane pulls out out to overtake whilst some idiot doing 90 is busy showing how they don't hog the outside or middle lanes by crossing to lane 1.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Paul Hodson is off-line
06 June 2013 09:54
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from stolenfaces
Continuously means all the time. All the major English motorways effectively have the inside lane blocked by lorries, caravans and other slow traffic. If you want to break the speed limit why can't you just go into the outside lane. How does this work on six-lane motor ways or even 4 lanes. They are clearly not designed for over-taking. In reality 3 lane motorways only make sense if the inside lane is effectively reserved for slow traffic with normal traffic driving in lane 2 and over-taking in lane 3. How come you need more than one lane for overtaking ? The most dangerous thing is when someone in the inside lane pulls out out to overtake whilst some idiot doing 90 is busy showing how they don't hog the outside or middle lanes by crossing to lane 1.

Bloody Hell - It's not often I agree with you!  You must be wrong!  surprise

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

click_gotcha is off-line
06 June 2013 09:58
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from stolenfaces
Continuously means all the time. All the major English motorways effectively have the inside lane blocked by lorries, caravans and other slow traffic. If you want to break the speed limit why can't you just go into the outside lane. How does this work on six-lane motor ways or even 4 lanes. They are clearly not designed for over-taking. In reality 3 lane motorways only make sense if the inside lane is effectively reserved for slow traffic with normal traffic driving in lane 2 and over-taking in lane 3. How come you need more than one lane for overtaking ? The most dangerous thing is when someone in the inside lane pulls out out to overtake whilst some idiot doing 90 is busy showing how they don't hog the outside or middle lanes by crossing to lane 1.

If the inside lane is blocked by slower traffic then overtake them, it's what the middle and outside lanes are for.  But for those times when it is not blocked use the left hand lane unless you are overtaking.       It's not really complicated, if you're not actually overtaking someone move to the left.

Peter is off-line
06 June 2013 10:33
peterbuchanphoto
Photographer
peterbuchanphoto
West Yorkshire
Leeds

What do some of you not get?

If there are vehicles in the left lane then you can move to the middle to overtake them, then move back where there is space.
If it is a very long chain of vehicles and you are passing them all then stay in the middle lane until you are no-longer overtaking anyone.
This is mostly aimed at twats who sit in the middle lane when there isnt anything for them to be overtaking anyway. They arent going to pick on drivers for not moving back into the left lane for 20 seconds before moving out to overtake again a few 100yds down the road.

You cant act all high and mighty about doing 70mph saying "well to overtake me they have to be speeding" as regardless you are still breaking the rules yourself. You dont get to pick and choose which ones you obey.

Im also happy to hear of bigger fines for phone users as I see them daily in Leeds centre as I head to work and they are a menace!

All this doesnt really matter unless they get more damn traffic police out there to catch the buggers though.

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Astramore fashion29 infinitelizzy Laurenxoxt Lord1982 shadowsfire
63jian cliffc djb1 flatheadrich JohnDentonPhoto Kentrichuk Kjoservices MarcXJR Musicman pb_photography philippahh photomart Picturemike Platidonio rscott360 spiritofwales stevegosh